You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Look back at Adventuregamers rate in 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #21

Here: http://www.longestjourney.com/news/p...s_and_reviews/
Not actually "Best of" but "2000 Award".
Old 01-03-2007, 04:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
No, I won't be reviewing it. The main problems I had with it (apart from small things like the regular "I'll deal with this later" comments) were the length (especially when you see the price of the French version) and the plot. While I thought it was a good thing that DTI was plot-heavier than their previous games, because it allowed for more variety in the goals and puzzles, the story itself (and the characters) was rather ridiculous (especially compared with the book it was based on). Still, I definitely had a lot of fun with the game.
True, the plot is stupid, but then I saw it only as a pretext for fun challenges.
And I for one liked the "I'll deal with this later" comments. It makes the game that much easier, but that's not really a bad thing.
As for the length, well, I don't think it was shorter than Da Vinci, or any other Kheops game for that matter. In fact, I think it was longer. I can't remember the price, though; was it that much more expensive?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek View Post
Tunguska with 3.5? It had a cut-and-paste conspiracy story with a different MacGuffin, awful voice acting, ridiculous, and contrived puzzles. If it hadn't been for the "hotspot highlight" feature I think I would've eaten the CD and enjoyed myself more.
Tunguska is beautiful to watch, but really very bad to play.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth View Post
True, the plot is stupid, but then I saw it only as a pretext for fun challenges.
It definitely plays that role well, but I feel you can't just do any dumb thing you want with a novel as successful as Treasure Island, or characters as iconic as Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins. I'm not going to repeat what I wrote some time ago on Christie Marx's take on the Grail, but I feel that there are stories and characters which can become so important and influential that using them builds some very big expectations (in terms of themes, style and quality), and not being up to those can really destroy what you're trying to do. DTI's plot would have sucked anyway, but being based on Treasure Island makes the matter even worse.

Quote:
As for the length, well, I don't think it was shorter than Da Vinci, or any other Kheops game for that matter. In fact, I think it was longer. I can't remember the price, though; was it that much more expensive?
I finished it in something like four hours (straight), so that felt a tad short. I guess one of the reasons why I found it short was because it never got repetitive or boring (contrary to, say, Voyage, or even RTMI); or maybe because the linearity, lack of optional things, and general underuse of each location didn't give the same impression of richness as RTMI/Voyage (I mean, I'm not sure I long I needed to finish RTMI, but I finished it with the (justified) impression that there were lots of other things I could have done; and, at the end of Voyage, I felt that the game could have been much shorter if I hadn't chosen to do everything; but at the end of DTI, I felt I had done everything and couldn't have failed to do so; maybe that's what made me feel the game was less long, or less rich, than the previous ones).

Anyway, we're completely derailing the thread. That's bad.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]