You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Myst IV - Revelation mystery *spoiler*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
Master of time and space

Default Myst IV - Revelation mystery *spoiler*

After I finished Revelation there were some thing that didn't make any sense to me. I've found a total of ten journals in the game and I think I've watched all memory sequences. Still I'm not sure what happened to Yeesha after the bridge collapsed. Well I know what happened eventually but, how did she end up in that chair?

I know she ran in through the fireplace and linked to Haven, I know from the memory sequence from the crystal on Haven that Achenar fought Sirrus. I'll assume that Yeesha went to Haven to ask for Achenars help and Achenar responed, but failed to save her. Somehow Achenar must've been knocked unconscious and Yeesha was then dragged to Serenia by Sirrus. Where she ended up tied to the chair.

Am I close?

Also what was the point with the red dragon puzzle in Serenia? Why did I need to let the water through for the old dream sister to be at the signaling horn? I discovered Serenia late in the game, when I had already finished Spire and Haven so it didn't make any sense to me. I just stroked and tapped the dragon and let the water through never knowing why...

Also, what was the point of visiting dream the first time? I only got a color clue for the color puzzle at the Old dream place, which I could view with the amulate anyway (or won't I get that clue unless I've visited dream first?).

Finally; Revelation is by far my favorite Myst game (and adventure game), even better than Riven in my opinion. I'm gonna see if I can find the soundtrack somewhere. I REALLY loved the music from Spire! I have the collectors edition, but the so called soundtrack that follows is pretty disapointing. Ripping the music from the DVD is far better. You get all the tracks that way.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 AM   #2

I understand the events as follows:

1) Sirrus found a way to break through the wall in Spire (thanks to his vibrating rocks/bombs thingies), allowing him to link to Tomahna, where he had to make some door explode, which is what made the bridge collapse.

2) Yeesha ran, and managed to link to Haven. She passed through the small door (used normally for food, clothes, etc.) and got on the beach.

3) Achenar found her. Sirrus arrived, made everything explode again, Achenar tried to protect Yeesha, Sirrus knocked him unconscious and took Yeesha back to Tomahna.

4) Sirrus forced Yeesha to show him the linking book to Serenia, and tied her up there.

5) Achenar woke up, and followed them all the way to Serenia.

Which is basically what you said, I think.

(and I bought the soundtrack from there)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-13-2006, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Finally; Revelation is by far my favorite Myst game (and adventure game), even better than Riven in my opinion.
Revelation is such a good game! That introductory ride felt so realistic and the scenery gorgeous. The natural world where one brother lives is intriguing and the story line of how he comes to respect and love the creatures he once brutalized is convincingly portrayed, in my view.

For some reason, I don’t go back there, however. Yet now and then, I do return to Riven.

I think the Revelation developers thought more is better when it comes to implementing Rivenish creative methods.

To me, Riven was a brilliantly uncluttered mystery of immense beauty. A real world you evolved into understanding in time and with patience. The Myst trait of every button pressed and every door opened staying where you left it, helped make it more like a real world than fiction.

There is also a deep sense of being watched … being out in the open in a population that has motives you can only comprehend through hard won efforts. Whereas the actors in the later games seemed over the top in some cases, the actors in Riven where utterly believable. I loved them all, especially Catherine and Atrus who changed in the later games and lost some of their mystery and charisma.

Indeed, the Riven Catherine is one of the most haunting figures I’ve seen in a game.

But yes Revelation is a great game, too, in the world of games.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 10-13-2006, 06:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Finally; Revelation is by far my favorite Myst game (and adventure game), even better than Riven in my opinion. I'm gonna see if I can find the soundtrack somewhere. I REALLY loved the music from Spire! I have the collectors edition, but the so called soundtrack that follows is pretty disapointing. Ripping the music from the DVD is far better. You get all the tracks that way.
Yeah, I remember that a few samples of the game music in MP3 format were put on the bonus disc contained in the collector's edition.

I strongly suggest you to get the stand-alone soundtrack released on audio cd (which I bought from the same site linked by Kurufinwe) because IMHO it's the best one of all five Myst OST's.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Also what was the point with the red dragon puzzle in Serenia? Why did I need to let the water through for the old dream sister to be at the signaling horn? I discovered Serenia late in the game, when I had already finished Spire and Haven so it didn't make any sense to me. I just stroked and tapped the dragon and let the water through never knowing why...

Also, what was the point of visiting dream the first time? I only got a color clue for the color puzzle at the Old dream place, which I could view with the amulate anyway (or won't I get that clue unless I've visited dream first?).
The water has to be redirected so that you can get into the brothers' workshop there... and the amulet won't show you puzzle solutions until you solve said puzzle.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiHann View Post
The water has to be redirected so that you can get into the brothers' workshop there... and the amulet won't show you puzzle solutions until you solve said puzzle.
I understood that part, what confused me was the whole "stroke a dragon" and you've solved the puzzle?
Should I interpret that as some kind of lock with a password?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
I understood that part, what confused me was the whole "stroke a dragon" and you've solved the puzzle?
Should I interpret that as some kind of lock with a password?
Just wondering ... when you're saying "stroke a dragon" are you referring to the snake or have I forgotten about a dragon (or a dragon symbol) in Revelation?

Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Old 10-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #8

Ohh, I see. I think Achenar brought the snake-dragon thing from Haven, to use as a sort of lock. I forget why he would have wanted that particular watergate locked, but I think it made sense at the time.
But yeah, it's basically an organic lock. I don't really get it either, logistically. It's a magic snake-dragon, I guess one just has to accept that.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:05 AM   #9
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
Just wondering ... when you're saying "stroke a dragon" are you referring to the snake or have I forgotten about a dragon (or a dragon symbol) in Revelation?
The red thing that needed stroking to release whatever it was holding.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:54 AM   #10

If you mean the snake coiled around the handle, I don't remember it being red. But if you do mean the snake, I assumed it is a living creature of the jungle that guarded the handle until signaled to leave by a stroking code its keeper trained it to respond to.

Last edited by AprilLives; 10-14-2006 at 07:33 AM. Reason: comma
Old 10-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
If you mean the snake coiled around the handle, I don't remember it being red. But if you do mean the snake, I assumed it is a living creature of the jungle that guarded the handle until signaled to leave by a stroking code it's keeper trained it to respond to.
Is the nature of the snake explained somewhere?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Is the nature of the snake explained somewhere?
Not to my knowledge. One just comes to comprehend and/or make assumptions about its nature by seeing how it works when solving the puzzle.

If I learn otherwise about the snake, though, I'll let you know.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
Lurking Myst Missionary

you get an image of the snake from the amulet in another age...