You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Phoenix Wright Giveaway.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #1

Default Phoenix Wright Giveaway.

Opening

Okay, so here it is. I have one copy of Phoenix Wright for the Nintendo DS to give away. I'm in the UK but the DS has no region-based lockout codes, so anyone who happens to have a DS can enjoy the game. If you're curious about the game, check out AdventureGamers own review, where it received a commendable 4.5 out of 5 stars. My motivation for doing this lies with the inspiration I gained after having seen other forumites here do similarly. It's my hope that these acts of random generousity will trigger further acts of random generousity and the community will grow stronger thanks to that.

The Process

To enter, simply reply to this thread.

On the closing date (which I shall reveal momentarily), I shall scribble all the names down on scraps of paper, scrumple 'em up, toss them in the nearest hat I can find, shake it up and then draw one out randomly (and yes, whilst I could put together a Lua or a Perl script to do this for me, I'm not going to, I have my reasons).

The contest closes on August 8th 9AM GMT. Any posts made after that time will be ignored. I spent a while thinking on the time that I should allow and I was originally going to go with the 15th but that's a bit of a torturously long wait, so I've decided to be more fair. This way, everyone should still get a chance to get in.

Finally, I'm going to do my best to pay to have the game shipped out myself. If the shipping costs to whichever country you happen to live in are exhorbitant, I might ask for help in covering them but I'm not going to do that unless it's absolutely nessescary and for that, they'd have to be pretty damned pricey.

The Rules

These aren't really rules but rather requests, since I can't enforce them. I'm relying on the moral-fibre of the good folks here to uphold them themselves. These are simply guidelines which I ask those to follow if they wish to submit their name to the competition. I'll personally think no less of you if you ignore these guidelines but I'll have a much higher opinion of you if you choose to follow them.

1.) If this game is readily available wherever you are, please don't enter. This giveaway is to get the game to those who can't obtain it any other way. For example, in Britain the game is very easy to obtain, so in fairness UK citizens shouldn't take advantage of this giveaway.

2.) Once the winner is done with the game, they should share. For instance, once they've completed it a few times, had their fill and are ready to shelve it, instead of doing so they should run a similar giveaway and offer the game to another who's not had the chance to enjoy it.

The Bottom Line

That's it then, even though there can only be one winner (because I only have one copy of the game), I wish you all the best of luck!

Last edited by Rowne; 07-27-2006 at 09:06 PM. Reason: I changed the title to something more appropriate.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Well, I'm in, but I doubt I'll pass it on if I were to win it. Thought I'd let you know in case you rather not include my name in the draw.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Roar?

First of all, I DON'T want to enter the contest (I already have PW) but I wanted to say that I think you're really cool for doing this.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Senior *female* member

Count me in. I've read so many good things about this game. I don't have a DS but friends of mine with kids have.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:15 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

I don't have a DS yet, but sent it to me anyway. You can never go wrong with a free game.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

I am in
Old 07-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #7

I'll bite. I've had my eye on the game for some time, but you just can't find it in stores.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #8

Default Awesome!

Count me in. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #9

I would like to enter Rowne. I live in Canada if that's not a problem.
This is a very nice thing to do for others. Pay it forward is the best.
Are you going to post the winner here or email the winner or both ?

Cathy
Old 07-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #10

Time for some replies, I think.

Gonchi: I'll enter you in. I'll enter in anyone who posts here (at least unless they note that they don't want to be entered in). The decider of the competition will be down to luck and a purely random element. It's good of you to admit, though.

As I said, guidelines. There's no saying that anyone here would forward it on again anyway, so I know there's that risk involved. I know what I'd like to see but this is a giveaway and I have no intentions of forcing that on other people.

Stoofa: Thanks! To be honest though, this is just something that's inspired by other acts of sharing I've seen here. If such a thing could become a commonality amongst generous people, it would allow folks to play a wider variety of games. I'm happy to be able to be a part of that.

Fienepien: It's one of those rare games that I've played more than twice. I've played it four times from start to finish actually, trying out all the various different outcomes to certain parts of the story. I can definitely confirm that Phoenix Wright lives up to the hype.

I was unsure myself at first, an Eastern game about a lawyer that's probably been poorly translated? I didn't have high hopes until I read the AdventureGamers review, their review is right on the money.

Cookie: Well, if you win the random drawing, you'll get the game.

Putrid: Yep. That's why I decided that this would be the best giveaway prize I could find. It's a brilliant game and it's near impossible to find in the US. Perfect fodder for this kind of thing.

Cathy1: If you win the random drawing, I'll be mailing it to Canada. So that's not a problem at all. As for how I shall announce the winner, I'll likely post in the thread and contact the winner via PM, that seems the best way to handle it (since PMs also send mail notifications).
Old 07-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #11

Thank you for answering.
Cathy
Old 07-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

I just want to say that this is probably the nicest topic i ever saw on a forum anywhere. Makes me wish we still had the wasteland over at the Metallica forums* nostalgic(sp?) sigh*
Old 07-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #13

Ooooh. Enter me in. Thanks. You rock my socks.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #14
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321

I feel kinda ashamed to enter, since I just won the last giveaway. I don't know if that bothers you. In any case, if I do enter and I win, I will myself send it over to a great friend in Tenerife which owns a DS, since I don't own one and it wouldn't be of any use to me.

I will once again say that this is truly admirable. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #15

Time for a few replies again!

Cathy: Not a problem.

Cookie: I'm not the first to do it though. The game 'I Have no Mouth but I Must Scream' has been passed around a couple of times and that's really what started it off. I'm just continuing what I genuinely believe to be a really good idea.

Bruno: Don't worry about it, if you win by pure chance then you deserve the game. Besides, you or your friend might pass it on again and that'd work out even better. Not a necessity, though.

Oh and I have to comment on your avatar, I love a well handled Metroidvania almost as much as I love a well handled adventure game. Cave Story had a fantastic yarn to be told and some really great gameplay with tight controls and multiple paths through the game even and considering it was made by one guy alone for free, it's an impressive feat.

If only more people would do that, I wish they would because Cave Story is some of the best platform gaming I've experienced in the past number of years and it sits right up there with the likes of Aria of Sorrow.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 AM   #16
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321

It's the best game I've played on the 00 decade. Well, I'd have to think it over, because I've played a lot of games from this time, but it would be on the top 3 surely.

Besides excelling at every platformer aspect, and at every videogame aspect, it does even excel at the story. Who could have thought of a platform game with an awesome and incredible story? Certainly not me. So simple, yet so epic, so grandiose. (Let's not even mention the soundtrack now, eh)

I have to comment on the control before I stop yacking about the game. So sweet, so sweet it brings a tear out of my eye. So "tight", as you said. That's the word. Tight. And oh, the abundant save spots. Oh, the general organization of the screen. So cool. I know comparisons like this suck, but control+lack of abundant save spots are what make me dislike (or at least not enjoy much) the Mario games. And that could win me some beating But then eh, I've always been more of a PC gamer.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 07-31-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #17
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I'd like to be entered. Very cool of you to do this.

If I won, it'd force me into buy a Nintendo DS, which I've considered doing just because this game sounds so cool.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 AM   #18

The 8th draws ever closer and I have my jiffy bag ready to mail this off to whomever wins. I figured I'd bump this since it's gone from the front page, given the nature of the thread I'd hope that's forgivable.

Oh and Bruno, couldn't agree with you more (and I spotted the huge image link before it was pulled down, neat place, that).
Old 08-03-2006, 03:16 AM   #19

Nice game. Count me in.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #20

Less than two days to go now before the giveaway entries close! This'll be my last post in the thread informing people of the upcoming closure, so this'll be the last bump, effectively. My next post shall declare the winner.