You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Phoenix Wright Giveaway.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 04:21 AM   #21

I'm a new member here, so I'm not sure if I should enter the "competition", but I'm gonna give it a go anyway.

Don't count on people sharing the game after they've completed it though. I won Splinter Cell II with a competition once and because I don't own an Xbox, I decided to give it away on a forum. Although the winning member was happy, he never thanked me or anything. A few weeks later, I saw him selling his own games to other members of the board, not what I intended to happen...
Old 08-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #22

I know I said that other post was my last but I had to reply to this one.

I'd say that might be true about a lot of forums out there but the Adventure Gamers community seems surprisingly mature. In fact, that's why I don't post as much as I could, I can err on the side of immature and that wouldn't do the board's appearance any good. I do read the threads here frequently though.

I suppose it's just a matter of faith, I don't expect anyone to pass on the game but I do believe that there are a number of people here that really would. I'll pass it along and they'll enjoy it and then it's up to them and their own moral compass as to whether they pass it on again. If they never did, I'd be disappointed but I wouldn't pass judgement on them for it, it'd be their decision.

So I'm not forcing that. I'd like to see it but with most people, it's human nature to be materialistic. There are only a few communities that I have expecations of this calibre in regards to but in all honesty, I think it's warranted.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:44 AM   #23
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I'm not entering here since I already have it.

But if I won the game I wouldn't pass it on, not cause I'm being greedy or anything its just that PW is the sort of game that I'd love to go back to and replay.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #24

Count me in! I'd love to check out this game. Thanks for the great offer.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowne
I'd say that might be true about a lot of forums out there but the Adventure Gamers community seems surprisingly mature... I suppose it's just a matter of faith, I don't expect anyone to pass on the game but I do believe that there are a number of people here that really would.
Don't confuse keeping a game for yourself with being immature. Not every one shares your communistic ideals, and that is not for a lack of maturity. It is not as if giving your possessions away for free is what all intelligent people do. Some, but not all.

And even if they do decide to give it away for free, they may choose not to do so through these boards, and again that would not necessarily be due to a lack of maturity.

One could also argue that it is highly immature to give someone a gift only to tell that person exactly how they can and can not use it.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #26

Default Im In Old Bean

Well I would like to have a bash of this game My funds are tight at the moment as I (well the wife) just had a daughter, so am finding it hard to get new games..

As for passing the game on... GREAT IDEA!

We should recycle our games and sign them in some way and that would be excellent. Just an Idea
Old 08-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #27

Scoville: That was silly, it seems like you've judged me via misinterpretation of my latest post without actually bothering to consider the previous posts I've made in the same thread. I've stated repeatedly that I'm not taking the rules seriously and that I wouldn't frown upon anyone who doesn't follow them. I think this is the sixth time I've said that now (I even said it in the first post).

Considering that, I'm not trying to force my beliefs or ideals on the community and it's wrong of you to imply that I am and you'll understand why in a moment. What I am trying to do is foster game swapping here, I wasn't the one that started doing that but I'll merrily continue doing so and that's why I created this giveaway.

I'm not 'confusing' keeping a game for oneself with being immature, that's twisting my words. What I have said only relates to maturity and not of the individual but of the community and further, it related to understanding the giveaway rather than perpetuating it.

So as you can see I don't consider immaturity coming into this at all, what I'm saying is that the community as a whole is mature enough (in understanding) to grasp why I'm doing this and therefore others might be inspired to do similarly, even if not the person I'm passing my game along to.

In closing, it isn't my beliefs or ideals, in fact my own were inspired by the kind act of another. I simply do this to see whether it helps continue the current chain-reaction of giving.

I hope it's more clear now and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Karmillo: I wouldn't blame you.

Doozy: If I've inspired you or anyone else here to continue the trend of sharing then my work here is done. That's all I intended to do, in truth.

Anyway, I have your name down in the list of entries, just like everyone else here and come the 9th, we'll find out who gets it. Best of luck!

----

Just to add to that ...

I hope that my motives are clear now, I didn't intend to make anyone uncomfortable and nor did I want anyone to think I was going to go nazi with my own guidelines. I'm sorry if I gave that impression and none of you should feel obligated by taking part. That wasn't my intent.

I think what really created the confusion is my response to Alfredo, I think it was taken as that I thought it would be immature not to pass it on. Yet what Alfredo was speaking of was the attitude of the person he passed his game along to and my point was that I believe that anyone here who does take part wouldn't have that attitude, they'd understand my motives.

That's really all I meant.

(There, I've cleaned up my typos and I really think what I've tried to convey will be clear now.)

Last edited by Rowne; 08-06-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #28

Quote:
I think what really created the confusion is my response to Alfredo, I think it was taken as that I thought it would be immature not to pass it on. Yet what Alfredo was speaking of was the attitude of the person he passed his game along to and my point was that I believe that anyone here who does take part wouldn't have that attitude, they'd understand my motives.
You're right, upon rereading your response to Alfredo I can see that you only make a reference to people who are ingrateful for a gift in your mention of immaturity. Since that comment was immediately followed by a statement that you had faith people here would be different and pass it on, I misinterpreted your conjuction. Basically I saw it as "People will be mature (by being grateful and passing it on)" where you apparently meant it as "People will (be mature by being grateful) and (pass it on)". Sorry.

Quote:
I'm not trying to force my beliefs or ideals on the community and it's wrong of you to imply that I am.
I never implied that. I implied that you thought people who had different ideals were immature. Huge difference.

Quote:
Scoville: That was silly, it seems like you've judged me via misinterpretation of my latest post without actually bothering to consider the previous posts I've made in the same thread.
No, I took your past posts into account; that is the very reason I made my post in the first place. Earlier you stated that you "approved of" the idea of sharing games because it was "wonderfully communistic" and that it makes all people equal regardless of "monetary stature" (which, frankly, is ridiculous; people with no money would most likely not have the computer or the time needed to play the game or make posts at online forums). Those comments give a strong impression that you are doing this as much to make a political statement as to do a good deed. Combined with my apparently incorrect inference from your most recent post, it seemed like you would look down on your contest winner if he did not live up to your ideals. I thought that would be unfair, so I pointed it out.

I did notice that you said you were not entirely serious about your rule, but "not entirely serious" is not the same thing as "not serious".
Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
Basically I saw it as "People will be mature (by being grateful and passing it on)" where you apparently meant it as "People will (be mature by being grateful) and (pass it on)". Sorry.
That's alright, I thought it was just a silly misunderstanding. I really wouldn't think of people that way.

Quote:
I never implied that. I implied that you thought people who had different ideals were immature. Huge difference.
Then I'd climb the scale from anarchist to fascist and that really wouldn't suit me. I didn't mean for it to sound that way at all. What I meant basically only related to respect, I think that my statement would've gone down better if I'd said respectful instead of mature. I'm not so sure because it could still be taken badly in ways I did not intend but still.

What I meant to imply on its most basic level is that I feel the people here can understand different views, I see that as a sign of maturity and as an ironic twist, it would be immature to consider others as immature for having different ideals.

I think the folks around here are a little perspicacious and instead of all the thoughts relating simply to a free game, some might wonder why I and others have done it, think it's a good idea and they might continue the trend themselves. I have nothing against the simplistic stance of just wanting a free game but if the gesture in itself says something more to a group of people then all the better for it.

Sure, it's a giveaway and it'll be fun. What I meant was that the attitude behind those here is a little different to what it might be on other forums, some might dig a little deeper than just seeing that alone, that's a good thing.

Quote:
Earlier you stated that you "approved of" the idea of sharing games because it was "wonderfully communistic"
A man gives what he is able and receives what he needs.

Quote:
and that it makes all people equal regardless of "monetary stature"
Equal int his particular context, yes. Since everyone is able to do what I stated above.

Quote:
(which, frankly, is ridiculous; people with no money would most likely not have the computer or the time needed to play the game or make posts at online forums).
Eh, you'd be surprised.

I don't think it's that ridiculous at all, I just think that we've seen different parts of the World. I've seen a homeless person visit a library frequently and share the benefits of society. I tend to be a sharing person, I know some folks that aren't well off so I pass along items of worth and money along to them.

I think that as far as sharing goes, it is an equitous practice. I think you're just taking this out of context.

Quote:
Those comments give a strong impression that you are doing this as much to make a political statement as to do a good deed.
Why must it be a political statement? I think this is where the implications begin. I see this problem with a lot of people, that a cultural choice must be a political choice, why do these lines blur in such a way for you? From my particular stance, it has absolutely nothing to do with making a political gesture or politics at all.

The divide between culture and politics is a big one and people do things fueled by either for entirely different reasons.

Quote:
I did notice that you said you were not entirely serious about your rule, but "not entirely serious" is not the same thing as "not serious".
Oh, that. Heh.

That's British.

We have a habit of inserting unnessescary words into the middle of sentences, at the end of sentences and so on. I didn't mean to imply anything with that, I didn't mean for it to have some secret, shady, lawyer-bound and hidden meaning. I'm saying this here and now so that no one will have to think that I did. I'm not a deceitful person so my mind doesn't really work like that.

----

I think I'll add a little more to that. Don't take what I've said as having an agenda, it's not meant to be that way. The only message I have is that 'sharing is fun'. I have said that it's a communistic practice and that's simply because it is. This does not mean, however that I have to be painted into a corner.

I had two reasons for doing this, firstly because it's a fun game and it hasn't really got the press it deserves. It'll spread awareness about the game and someone will get the choice to enjoy it, I think that anyone here who does get it will truly appreciate the game. The other reason was a respectful gesture following on from someone who had done similarly.

I saw a person sharing a game and instead of just thinking to myself "Oh, a free game!", I instead realized what a wonderful gesture that was, that there was someone sharing on the internet without asking for anything in return and that there could be a little more of that around than there is. Of course, if I'm going to say there should be more of something, I might aswell add to something that I like to see myself.

So I'm providing a good game to a nice person for them to enjoy and learn about and I'm promoting good will because I believe that the World could always use a little more good will. That's all there is to it.

----

Oh and the final word on this because I don't really want to come back to it again, I'd rather have this thread be for people who want to ge their chance ...

I am not going to put a tracking chip in the game's box. If you don't share the game on, I won't track you down, accompanied by a couple of burly men in order to force whatever agendas I don't have upon you. I won't ask you to even think of this as anything more than a free game. I will ask the things I asked in the first post but I won't force those, I won't make a fuss about those and if they're completely ignored, I won't bat an eyelid.

Q.E.D.

Last edited by Rowne; 08-07-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #30

Also: don't take anything I say too seriously, as I am a big ol' bed-wetting doody head, after all.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #31

Hi Rowne
So who won the contest ?

Cathy
Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 PM   #32

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

who is the winner?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #33

Were we supposed to find out the winner on the 8th or was that the last day to enter?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 AM   #34
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Is it too late to enter now?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #35

Sorry for the delay, life caught up with me. I had some stuff going on RL that I won't get into.

Anyway, Fienepien is the winner! I'll PM you, Fienepien, so I can get your address and I'll get it right in the mail.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #36

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Congratulatios Fienepien
Old 08-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #37

I just spotted that he's started his own giveaway too. I blame karma. :p I'll likely have other giveaways up for grabs in the future too though if I can find anything interesting enough to give away, so look out for that! You might not have had your chance with this one but with the next, you just might.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #38
Super Moderator

I know it doesn't say in her profile but Fienepien is a woman.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #39

Is she from Belgium or The Netherlands?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #40

Fienepien is going to give the game to a kid who's not really going to appreciate it. Fienepien, get yourself a DS Lite and play the game