You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 4 Box Art

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Lazi

Default Broken Sword 4 Box Art

http://www.revfans.com/news.php?id=72

So it's from different art people than BS3 still can't accept why the characters (nico and george) look so different from last time (but going from 2d to 3d was ok for me)
Old 07-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

That's as ugly as the final Broken Sword 3 cover was.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Retired Buccaneer

That is bad. There's far too much yellow in the picture, which is not easy on the eyes, and rather boring visually. Plus the characters' heads are taken directly from the in-game models.

I seriously hope this is just a placeholder image that Revolution released until the real cover is finished... but I can't be sure.

Man, do I miss the days when you could buy big boxes, with lush paintings on the cover like the ones Steve Purcell did...
Old 07-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Not good.

Plus what's with the signature?

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Plus what's with the signature?
It's cool to see a designer's name on the front of the box. Whatever.

The new character designs still irk me but that box isn't that offensively bad. People complain and nitpick too much. Compare it to some atrocities like the Escape From Monkey Island box and all is well. That BS4 design is perfectly servicable.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

DVD-ROM, eh? I find that more interesting than the box art itself.

I wonder if that's just for Europe or if it'll have a DVD release in North America, too. The publisher's the same, so we can hope...
Old 07-15-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
DVD-ROM, eh? I find that more interesting than the box art itself.
Frankly, I'd have been annoyed had it not been on DVD, given that Europe has finally decided to start putting most games on the things .

I actually quite like this box art. And having the designer's signature there is cool.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Headbanger

I think it looks good. Not exactly breathtaking but not dreadfully ugly either. Although I think that the covers of the 3 previous games looked much nicer (and that includes BS3 as well although that's the least attractive of the three).
Old 07-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
The Reggienator

Well, yes that signature is something that is quite nice and a bit rare in todays industry.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #10

I think it would look better with just the angel on the cover. No need to stick the faces of every main character in the front.

The signature is a nice touch, though.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD
I think it would look better with just the angel on the cover. No need to stick the faces of every main character in the front.
Agreed.

I don't mind the signature one way or the other.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
I needed a dare

Who cares, it's a box art.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
Super Moderator

But how it looks on a shelf is important. If someone is browsing and something catches their eye, they are more likely to pick it up and take a look at it.

I actually like the yellow. In the sea of black and occasional white boxes, that will really stand out. I found this article on the use of color in advertising:

Quote:
It’s quite well known that the color red inspires impulsive buying. Our eyes are drawn to the color like ducks to water. Just walk into any supermarket and look at the color most often used on products. It’s red. The next one is yellow. Both colors tend to raise your blood pressure just a tad and dilate your pupils. They cause excitement, which goes to prove one thing: color affects us.
Having Charles Cecil's name on it is a great move (especially since he's pretty well known). I don't know if it will increase sales but it can't hurt. I like the simplicity of the design too. It it's too busy, I find that to be hard on my eyes.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Hardcore Adventurer

George's and Nico's Face on that box art =
Old 07-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #15
Grah! Grah!

Nico looks okay to me, but yeah, George really doesn't look right. The whole direction of this game frightens me; from the title to the art style it all seems to be trying a bit hard and really quite a departue from the rest of the series. I hope I'm proven wrong though.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
But how it looks on a shelf is important. If someone is browsing and something catches their eye, they are more likely to pick it up and take a look at it.
That's how I got into Guild Wars
This box art looks kinda boring to me... But I'd still buy the game if it's at least as good as BS3.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
Psychonaut

The box art is ok.

I like the "A Charles Cecil game" tag at the bottom. For too long the publishers (and or brand name) tend to get the credit for the games. The BS3 box has a big THQ logo and only mentions Revolution on the back. Does anyone really know who makes the FIFA games.

It's nice to see a director type mention on the front similar to movies.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:55 AM   #18
The Reggienator

I was just recently checking that Telltale CSI game at a supermarket and i thought it was kind of strange that there is no mention of Telltale in the whole box, except for a small company logo at the back of the box, I mean a really SMALL picture of the logo.

Developers should indeed get more credit for the games that they have made.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:39 AM   #19

I bet there's a standard Photoshop file for doing these awful front covers. It probably has 4 layers:

Layer 1: Insipid Prince of Persia 'adventure' background'
Layer 2: Character faces
Layer 3: Title with 'Bought in' font.
Layer 4: Information gumph.

All THQ front covers look this bad, it's their standard front cover.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:39 AM   #20

I miss the artistics and stylish 2D-covers. Ah well.

The yellow does make you notice it. I guess it's ok.

But if I weren't a Broken Sword-fan, I would read what's back careful before desiding if buying the game. I liked the Runaway box art wery much.