You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sam & Max on the cover of August's Computer Gaming World!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 04:47 AM   #1
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva
Default Sam & Max on the cover of August's Computer Gaming World!

Quote:
posted by: emily :: July 05, 2006

God, it's hard to keep a secret.

A while back, Computer Gaming World's editor Jeff Green got in touch with Dan asking if they could write a big story about Sam & Max. We didn't have enough to show them then, but by the time E3 rolled around, we were ready. So, the first Friday in June a bunch of guys from CGW and 1UP made the trip up from San Francisco to visit Telltale Corporate Headquarters (such as they are). We brought the bagels and coffee, they brought the tape recorders and cameras, and we spent most of the day chatting about Sam & Max and showing them what we've been working on.

A few lessons learned from the visit:

* We have barely enough chairs to squeeze eight people into the conference room.
* It's really hard to cut bagels with plastic knives.
* The switches for every light in our office (which the photographer wanted to access to get the lighting just right for Steve's close-up) are located on the other side of The Wall. No wonder the lights are always on in here!
* Steve looks great in a fedora.

The issue mails out to subscribers next week, and it will hit newsstands on July 24. It's Telltale's first cover story and the first big coverage of Sam & Max: Season 1, so we're all pretty stoked. The nine page article includes snippets from interviews with Dave Bogan, Dave Grossman, Brendan, and Steve, insight into the game design process, and some never-before-seen art from the first Sam & Max episode. Not to mention a hand-painted Steve Purcell original on the cover! (Steve's initial ideas are shown below. CGW chose the one they liked best for the final cover.)

The 1UP Show will be covering Sam & Max on their Friday July 14 podcast, so be sure to check that out, too.
Source: http://www.telltalegames.com/blogs/t...F7A0.txt&smm=y

That cover looks very cool.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 AM   #2
Grah! Grah!

The cover's replaced the Monkey Island 2 boxart as my wallpaper. Purcell's got some kind of hold on my desktop's heart.

I think I read somewhere that there's a Schafer interview in there too, though don't quote me on it. This will probably be the first game magazine I buy in years; hopefully the recent trend of newsagents telling me, every fucking time I enter one, that they've only just recently stopped carrying whatever magazine I want will not continue.

Last edited by Junkface; 07-06-2006 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
I think I read somewhere that there's a Schafer interview in there too,
That's what it says on Jeff Green's blog on 1UP (in the comments section).
Old 07-06-2006, 05:52 AM   #4
Grah! Grah!

Ah, yes that would've been the place. Speaking of which, I'm horrified that nobody identified and reported this post, made seemingly a full five days before Emily's blog post at Telltale.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that there's a Schafer interview in there too.
I hope so. I'm about to finish Psychonauts and I just have to know what Double Fine's next project is.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Super Moderator

That looks awesome and I'll be on the lookout as well.

I think Telltale needs to turn to Ginsu for some help:

Old 07-06-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Ah, yes that would've been the place. Speaking of which, I'm horrified that nobody identified and reported this post, made seemingly a full five days before Emily's blog post at Telltale.
And you guys call yourselves fans.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

WOO! I can't wait to pick this up. There are, obviously, going to be first screenshots correct?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
WOO! I can't wait to pick this up. There are, obviously, going to be first screenshots correct?
If by "screenshots" you mean "renders of game environments with posed characters," then yes. Though there aren't any in-engine screenshots in there (because no final production-quality in-engine screenshots exist yet) there's some great cool stuff in their article.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #10

the excitement is starting to build... comic-con is coming up 2
Old 07-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
Live Slow Die Old

That looks great! If the dialogue's as sharp as the first, it'll be worth the wait (never cared for the ending though, it always felt sort of detached from the rest of the game).
Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 AM   #12
Grah! Grah!

Haven't seen this posted anywhere - some of those renders are up on the Computer Gaming World site. They look... generic.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:15 AM   #13

I don't think they're renders. I think they are actual ingame screenshots. The quality of the screenshot with Bosco in it looks kinda like the big guy in The Great Cow Race, if not better. So I think they are actual screenshots. But I'll wait for a confirmation

Oh, and BTW, they are Fabutastic! I can't believe I'm actually seeing them back, and in excellent shape too !

EDIT: OOPS! I just saw the article at 1UP and they do say that they are not actual in-game screenshots, but renders! Well, i was trying to raise my hopes up

--5abanja out.

Last edited by 5abanja; 07-14-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 AM   #14
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
If by "screenshots" you mean "renders of game environments with posed characters," then yes. Though there aren't any in-engine screenshots in there (because no final production-quality in-engine screenshots exist yet) there's some great cool stuff in their article.
That quote's why I think they're renders.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #15
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Haven't seen this posted anywhere - some of those renders are up on the Computer Gaming World site. They look... generic.
Yeah the environments maybe lack a bit of detail and are perhaps not as stylized as they could/should be (considering what S&M's world is supposed to loom like)...still look a hell of a lot better the Broken Sword 4 ones we've seen though.

There are some cool little comical touches there; the bathroom door with the three gender signs, the terror meter above it.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:28 AM   #16

we see bosco! and the flint stick figure on the wall haha.. look the renders look okay.. graphics arent the reason i'll be buying sam and max
Old 07-14-2006, 03:38 AM   #17

Was Bosco a character that was on the comics before? Or is he a new character?

--5abanja out
Old 07-14-2006, 04:52 AM   #18
Grah! Grah!

There's a preview up as well now. I'm pretty sure Bosco wasn't in the comics, but his store is prominently visible, at least in Hit the Road, next to Sam & Max's office. The screens have grown on me a bit; it's just that initially they struck me as the sort of thing that, if 2D, would be unnoticable amongst a block of Nickelodeon shows. The office shot I now quite like and I think the other scenes will look good with the right lighting and camera angles. (Maximum seediness!) The Flint drawing, which I couldn't read at first, is also cool as hell.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

None of the graphics that have been released so far are in-game screenshots. When the first in-game screenshots are released, it'll be made clear that that's what they are.

There are a lot of funny details in the store. You'll probably get to see more of them up close in the very near future.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
None of the graphics that have been released so far are in-game screenshots. When the first in-game screenshots are released, it'll be made clear that that's what they are.

There are a lot of funny details in the store. You'll probably get to see more of them up close in the very near future.
now you are just teasing us with all your insider knowledge