You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Just finished Paradise...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #41

Send a message via MSN to kathrynrose Send a message via Yahoo to kathrynrose

Perhaps thats just Sokol's way. Even though I loved the Syberia games. The main character here does not show that much emotion. She seems much more of an observer in the game than a participator.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #42
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Well, you could use some help. In form of....walkthrough maybe?
One should not be ashamed.
Oh...I'm not ashamed to use a walkthrough at all. I guess I just didn't care enough about the game to bother to be honest. One day I may re-visit the game.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #43
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynrose View Post
Perhaps thats just Sokol's way. Even though I loved the Syberia games. The main character here does not show that much emotion. She seems much more of an observer in the game than a participator.
Well, half the story is about her, so she isn't an observer. And she actually does things, and chooses paths. What I say is that her character is not well developed: the game asks you for empathy to understand her feelings and quest, and you can't empathise with such a jerk. So what is left is some scenarios that are half-thought, filled with people that usually does not have conversations, and the ones who have, speaks in a very weird way, absolutely unnatural. This game is the absolute schyzophrenia made game, something that really shows that the Sokal's people wanted to get rid of it, that shows that little interest was put on it, and, I repeat, MUCH worse than many other efforts including Syberia and Still Life. That Syberia was a good game and emotional does not seem that everything that Sokal does has a sense, has emotion, though we can't undestand it, and though I could have doubts in some games, I don't have them in this flawed piece of something called Paradise.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #44

Send a message via MSN to kathrynrose Send a message via Yahoo to kathrynrose

I will admit there was more of a emotional tie between Kate and some of the characters in Syberia. And I did enjoy that aspect. However, there was still much criticism of the game. Perhaps Sokal was trying to do something different in Paradise because of this. Paradise is still a beautiful game. Yet in my thoughts more a utilitarian video game instead of a story based one.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #45

ĂŚ haven't played Paradise (yet), but I do think that most people did expect a (new) Syberia game rather than just a new game - much like people playing Fallout or TES games seem to want a sort of (new) Fallout game or a (new) TES game rather than a something different. (since I haven't played the game, Paradise, this is more of a general comment).

Personally, I feel like maybe, just maybe Sokal thought it was time to do something different than he did in Syberia. (and I do also think that Amerzone wasn't exactly a smash hit ??). The point I'm trying to make is that is that perhaps a creator/developer like Sokal only has a smash hit commercially as well as getting it right 1/5 times or maybe even 1/10 times.
And one of these times actually did happen with Syberia 1+2.

If we compare the narrative structure (aka story) in the two games, Syberia 1and Paradise there are similarities, but there are also differences. In Syberia you have a girl, who wants to find an heir, in Paradise you have a girl who has lost her memory and need to find it. Part of the fascination with Syberia 1was also the very different locations in which the game was set, and the automations you had to use to get everything going in the game. Judging from the screenshots of Paradise, it looks like something we have seen before.

Anyway, the concept of the game, Paradise, to me, is intriguing...and I will probably get it one day...
Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #46
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

I don't think one should get too hung up on the fact that Paradise was SOKAL... as if he's some superficial brand name like Guess or Calvin Klein.
There exist certain universal concepts such as storytelling, characterization, and story development and Sokal blew it on all three.
In fact, Syberia 2 was already showing cracks and hinting at sloppy storytelling with less emphasis on character development. Paradise contained no character development to speak of, which put the story squarely in the low brow realms of mindless melodrama- except it wasn't even that exciting.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #47
Your average crooner

I don't agree: Syberia 2 actually took more care of story and, above it all, the gaming experience. It actually had puzzles that actually made you think, and the "beauty" was not like those too-obvious tones like having all the characters being nice and including a kind of opera which nearly embarassed me. It was a very well designed piece of software, something that showed that this team was actually learning and trying new things (it showed too in the flawed, but in some zones, better "Still Life"), and it shows that the people in Paradise are completely different from the people behind the games mentioned. Hey, even the engine was worse than the one used in Syberia.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #48
Adventure lover

Send a message via Yahoo to geosouv

@allthingshappy

In what version did you play the game? Did you install the latest patches prior to playing the game? I have heard that all of the bugs you mentioned where resolved in the latest patch. Especially the problematic animated cursor was more or less fixed. I suggest you never play a game unless you have first installed the latest patch. Most games have bugs in their first versions.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #49

You realise that you're replying to a poster who hasn't visited these forums in over 5 years, right?
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #50

Yea - Paradise was full of bugs. I made it through 90% of the game before a bug got me.

Now - "Last King of Africa" - this game has the beautiful graphics and story of Paradise - but lucky for me was bug free. I finished this one - and really enjoyed it.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:22 AM   #51
Filmfreak

I never did like this game. Never finished it, didn't even get very far into it. Thought it was boring as hell. And what was up with that "run around as a black panther just for the sake of running around as a black panther"???
Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #52
Adventure lover

Send a message via Yahoo to geosouv

I just started playing Paradise in v. 1.1.3. The game looks great, although I find the graphics to be a bit dated and the texts appear very turbid. It seems the quality has dropped since Syberia games. I find it quite interesting to play. There is tons of stuff to do and I am still in the first area, the palace. I could need some help right now as the game seems to be very difficult (Syberia was a piece of cake compare to this), but I think I'll try it on my own a bit more or ask my sister to lend a hand. She appears to be better than me at solving puzzles! And she has no gaming experience whatsoever. Does anyone know how to take screenshots in this game? The PicPick program doesn't work for some reason and the game came without a manual.