You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Why didn't you buy "Eye of The Kraken" (I didn't either)

View Poll Results: Why didn't you buy "Eye of The Kraken" (before it was freeware)
Don't blame me - I did buy it 2 4.55%
I never heard of it 25 56.82%
It don't trust a game without a proper publisher 0 0%
The reviews didn't inspire me 1 2.27%
The subject didn't inspire me 3 6.82%
It didn't sound like good value 3 6.82%
The web site put me off 1 2.27%
The payment method put me off 1 2.27%
I buy very few games anyway 2 4.55%
Other 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
I turn novels into games

Default Why didn't you buy "Eye of The Kraken" (I didn't either)

It's an old game, but I'm curious. I'm interested in amateur adventure games that are sold commercially. Usually the good ones sell a couple of thousand at least. But "Eye of The Kraken" doesn't fit the pattern. It got reasonably good reviews (averaging 70%), it had some interesting new ideas, it was available in both English and French, and you could buy it from two different web sites using PayPal. Yet it only sold about 500 copies in three years (released 2002, went freeware in 2005). How come?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I had never heard of it until it was released as freeware. I also didn't pay much attention to adventure game sites until about a year and a half ago.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

This is the first Ive heard of it
Old 05-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #4

Never heard of it before.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

The main reason I didn't buy it back then was because I was too young to have a credit card and/or Paypal account. (hence me selecting "I buy very few games anyway") If Eye of the Kraken were developed today, and had money being charged for it, I would probably buy it. But that has more to do with my being gung-ho for supporting indie developers than anything else.

Other than that, though, I recall that the AGAST engine (which EotK used) had some problems with bugginess and certain features not yet being completely implemented, making the game have some annoying engine-related quirks that gave it a slightly unprofessional feel. That might have factored into things.

Also, in general, good reviews don't necessarily mean good sales. Look at Grim Fandango and Psychonauts, for instance.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
Senior *female* member

I bought it. Played it, got frustrated with something, don't remember what, traded it.

I disagree with the reviews. The humor was kind of intellectual. I don't mean that's bad, I vaguely remember I kind of liked it. But the entire game had a very amateurish look and feel. And it was isometric. Which I hate. There were other offputting aspects, but I've forgotten what they were.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #7

I only got it freeware. The graphics were terrible looking and the game felt restraining. It just didn't have atmosphere, which means alot to me in an AG.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
Easily amused

I bought it and still haven't played it.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I had never heard of it until it was released as freeware.
Same here. I'd buy it today if I'd get more than the freeware game on a CD-R.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:15 PM   #10

I saw the game on adventuregamers. It featured a demo of the game, which wasn't even a part of the full game. I liked the demo and humor appealed to me. I considered buying it when the game is released. But soon enough I forgot about the game and never heard of it again until I saw the news that it became freeware.

I played the game earlier this year and enjoyed it. Despite the annoying music, this game really should get the attention it deserves. I guess it just didn't get proper marketing.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #11

I played the freeware release, and it was OK for a free game, but I couldn't say it would have been worth paying for. I was put off by the bad English translation and mostly lousy attempts at humor.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Never heard of it...until today.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #13
Master of time and space

I had never heard of it before it went freeware and after playing and finishing it I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it. Blä!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #14
I turn novels into games

Thanks for all the replies - they are very helpful. I am especially interested to see that most people had not heard of the game. That was something I could not prove until now. And the comments about atmosphere really help to sum up everything else. Forgive me for asking a couple of more questions:

A reviewer said there were no ambient animations. Does this mean that the waves in the background did not move?

Also, how important was the lack of a download option? And was PayPal a turn-off back in 2003?

Finally, another reviewer said that the music cut off at the worst possible moment - during an opera, so you had to read the sung notes in silence. Was this a bug or was it typical of the game?

Last edited by Enter the Story; 05-23-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Just to add to your survey as well I also never heard of the game. I joined AG.com around the summer of 2004, so I never knew what's the latest games coming out every month. Unless you frequent this website, it's pretty much impossible to have heard of the game. Even in many game stores, I've never seen a copy of it.

Firefox rules
Old 05-24-2006, 01:15 AM   #16

I actually enjoyed the game and liked its style and humor, but didn't hear about it until it went freeware. I would have gladly paid something like 5-6 euros for a download, but definitely not through PayPal.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 AM   #17
gin soaked boy

I heard about it, but it didn't pique my interest. Most "traditional" adventures don't these days.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:52 AM   #18
Excessively diverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy
Finally, another reviewer said that the music cut off at the worst possible moment - during an opera, so you had to read the sung notes in silence. Was this a bug or was it typical of the game?
I think that you might be referencing my review here, and to my knowledge, the music cut-out wasn't a bug, but just the way that the game had been designed. Obviously I appreciated that there was no voice-over work done for the game, so I didn't expect singing, but some kind of operatic soundtrack would have been helpful. In silence, the opera was just silly!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #19
More slaw!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy
and you could buy it from two different web sites using PayPal. Yet it only sold about 500 copies in three years (released 2002, went freeware in 2005). How come?
This says something to me. Available from two different websites with Paypal as a Payment method. Was this game marketed? If so, was it marketed outside adventure gaming fans? Did it try and get distribution elsewhere? Did it try and use payment methods other than paypal? What was it's marketing program like?

I'm sorry but from the more I hear about independantly developed games that fail to be a success, I'm seeing a pattern...

Just because something is on the internet does not mean it will automatically be succesful.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #20
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I think that you might be referencing my review here, and to my knowledge, the music cut-out wasn't a bug, but just the way that the game had been designed. Obviously I appreciated that there was no voice-over work done for the game, so I didn't expect singing, but some kind of operatic soundtrack would have been helpful. In silence, the opera was just silly!
Yes, it was your review (and it was a very fair and balanced review - thanks). I was particularly interested in Kraken because of the audio. My game also has no spoken words - mainly because the finished game would need over sixty thousand audio files and it's just not practical. So I need to be extra careful to maintain the right atmosphere. There will be no silent singing in my game!.