You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How big was Schizm?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
I turn novels into games

Default How big was Schizm?

I just read that Schizm (Mysterious Journey) came on a double sided DVD. And that was way back in 2001. The reviewer said it was a huge game, but I've never played it. Just how big was the game? I mean, could you wander through thousands of locations? Or was the DVD just full of gratuitous video cut scenes and uncompressed audio and textures?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Epinionated.

The DVD had extra content in it, as I recall, extra puzzles and stuff. If you want Schizm, it's the only way to go, particularly for the crazy visuals. It's a shame Detalion went the way of the do-do as Maciek and his crew had a nice flair for the bizarre and some really interesting ideas as to how to develop the genre.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
I turn novels into games

Thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 12:26 AM   #4

The size of schizm is the typical for a myst-clone game, so i'm guessing it took two DVDs because of the uncompressed videos and cut scenes.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
The DVD had extra content in it, as I recall, extra puzzles and stuff. If you want Schizm, it's the only way to go, particularly for the crazy visuals. It's a shame Detalion went the way of the do-do as Maciek and his crew had a nice flair for the bizarre and some really interesting ideas as to how to develop the genre.
Hi SJH, long time no-see!

Thought I'd mention that Maciek did continue with the relatively recent Sentinel and I think he's well on his way with another game.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDave
Thought I'd mention that Maciek did continue with the relatively recent Sentinel and I think he's well on his way with another game.
He did continue with Sentinel... and then Detalion went under, shortly after. Where did you hear he's working on something new?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
He did continue with Sentinel... and then Detalion went under, shortly after. Where did you hear he's working on something new?
First- I should mention that after I posted, I realized that SJH would full well know the history of Sentinel etc. etc. I had forgotten about the threads that occurred as a result of Detalion folding. So, SJH, just forget my post!

As to Maciek working on something new- I haven't seen anything like a press release, but he made a comment in some thread when Detalion went under about looking into another project or something or other and since that must have been almost a year ago, I was assuming (perhaps too much) that he must be well on his way with it.

However, that said, this is a guy who was the major player in games like Reah, Schizm 1&2 and Sentinel (afterall he was one of only 2 owners of Detalion). It's hard to believe he's just sitting around!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
Master of time and space

I have the DVD-version of Schizm. It's a pretty game, but without subtitles and the possibility to rewatch movie sequences makes it difficult to progress if you didn't catch all the clues in a certain sequence (unless you save and load a lot). I love the music and atmosphere in Schizm! It was also annoying having to flip the DVD when switching character or going to another place. Hmm, maybe I should give it another try. I gave up after getting stuck a few puzzles into the game. Maybe I should create ISOs of my disc and try and mount them. That'll improve the access time from my DVD+RW a LOT! (Unless it's copy protected)
Old 05-24-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
Epinionated.

Hi, Dave! Long time no see. I've not heard from Maciek in a while. I've tried contacting him but to no avail. He's a very focussed man and good project leader, a good listener and always looking for ways to better his work. I hope he see's this thread sometime!

Detalion's adventure games were always difficult, but he deliberately made them that way. He knew he was playing into that market. Even though they were "Myst clones" Maciek and his team managed to bring some incredibly dark and surreal visuals to the fold. I always loved the nightmare-dream feel of Schizm in particular, coupled with the brilliant gloomy electronica score. I personally think it's one of the finest puzzle adventures in recent years on DVD, although I needed a walkthrough. It's not an easy game by any stretch, but it's worth persevering with.

It should be noted that the acting isn't good, but Maciek was working with a tight budget on his own equiptment. Schizm 2 was a step in the right direction, Sentinel simpler but again, showcased that the company was maturing into one capable of producing incredible quality even when on a very tight, tight deadline and with little money to work with. It was created in less than a year.

Man, now I want to play them again.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:31 AM   #10

Quote:
I've not heard from Maciek in a while.
I can help out with some info there, as I'm quite well in contact with the gang. Maciek's in currently in Warsaw, working on The Witcher. The rest of the Detalion art team is still together, working on something as well.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #11
Epinionated.

Excellent! Working on the Witcher, eh? Any idea in what part of development? That game had me excited to start with... if Maciek's applying his mind to that then it should turn out to be a good hardcore game. And the Detalion art team are working too! Fine day it's turned out to be.

(Even if the rain keeps leaking into my bathroom)

Cheers, Martin.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
I can help out with some info there, as I'm quite well in contact with the gang. Maciek's in currently in Warsaw, working on The Witcher. The rest of the Detalion art team is still together, working on something as well.
Well then, I was right! I like being right! I think I'll just go buy myself a toy today as a reward!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Excellent! Working on the Witcher, eh?......

(Even if the rain keeps leaking into my bathroom)
Say, SJH/Ben, I just checked out your website. You're one talented dude!

One thing though- I noticed that you mentioned your fish first and your girlfriend second. I wonder what Freud would have done with that?