You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Your Top #5 Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2006, 01:13 AM   #61
tsa
Playing character

Lists! Always interesting. Here's mine:

5. Syberia I
4. Gabriel Knight - Sins of the fathers
3. Myst IV
2. Indiana Jones - The fate of Atlantis
1. Tex Murpy - Overseer
Old 05-27-2006, 01:16 AM   #62
Schattenjäger

Send a message via AIM to Polecat

In no particular order or preference.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
The Dig
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Full Throttle

Oh LucasArts why have you gone astray?

As for general games:

Thief I & II
System Shock I & II
Neuromancer
realMyst
Quake I
Old 05-27-2006, 01:35 AM   #63
Schattenjäger

Send a message via AIM to Polecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT
they might be the most popular. i know its arrogant to think so, but i was wondering if they were more popular than ALL of the other companies games put together. so i did some additions... i awarded 5 points for 1st, 4 points for 2nd and so on with 1 point for 5th. These are the stats i came up with when people listed their top 5 ADVENTURE games.

LUCASARTS POINTS = 204

OTHER COMPANIES POINTS = 367

Quite clearly the other games win out, there were also EIGHT times when a LucasArts game missed out on getting a vote.

I would be keen to see the order that the other companies come in to determine if any other company ALONE comes anywhere near 204 votes. However im not clued up enough to know which company makes which games and i dont know what some of the abbreviations are for the non LucasArts games so im not sure how to look them up. If anyone else loves stats as much as me feel free to take the stat count on this thread to the next level.

GoT
I've come to the conclusion that LucasArts Games are the ones. Thats not to say other adventure games aren't fun but there is a difference in presentation: LucasArts went for the quick wit and one liners, giving most of their games the same feel that Raiders of the Lost Ark had. A sort of pulp fiction and bigger than life feel, so to say. The Dig was the one real exception in my opinion as it filled me with a sense of wonder and solitude, like Sphere.

The Sierra games leaned towards more of a grounded story, despite having fantastical settings. Similar to the movie Wonder Boys: even when strange situations kept being thrown at the characters, there was still a sense of realism to it all.

I think thats why LucasArts' games never surpassed Gabriel Knight: Sin of the Father. But then again, I don't think anyone else has either.

[b]EDIT: Keep in mind, I haven't played most of the recent adventure games due to an old video card and a tight budget.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #64
SamNMax

Assuming we're talking favorites:

1) Secret of Monkey Island
2) Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
3) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
4) Quest For Glory: So You Want to be a Hero
5) Sam & Max: Hit the Road

Assuming we're talking which ones we think are the absolute best:

2) Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle
3) King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
4) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
5) Grim Fandango

Last edited by SamNMax; 05-29-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #65

this is not an easy question

Adventure games
1. Gabriel Knight (esp. 2)
2. Broken Sword I
3. The Last Express
4. Syberia (I agree that these two are one game)
5. The Longest Journey

So many others though they might make the cut if I made this list in ten minutes.

Monkey Island, Grim Fandago, King's Quest VI, Police Quest III, Sherlock Holmes and the Secret of the Silver Earring (I'm a huge Sherlock fan), Full Throttle, Phantasmagoria, In the First Degree, and I liked Quest for Glory (was that an adventure game? I think it's a little hard to label). And many more!

Favorite non adventure games

1. The legend of Zelda (most of them)
2. Knights of the Old Republic I
3. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
4. Lord's of the Realm II
5. Half Life 2

And of course there are others...

Gaming rocks
Old 05-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Assuming we're talking favorites:

2) Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
3) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
4) Quest For Glory: So You Want to be a Hero
5) Sam & Max: Hit the Road

Assuming we're talking which ones we think are the absolute best:

2) Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle
3) King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
4) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
5) Grim Fandango
Intersting distinction...

I'm curious as to why Indy loses a place to King's Quest VI in your "absolute best" top 5.
And don't you think that MI, albeit excellent, is too heavily flawed to deserve the first place in the same top 5? (the part on the actual Monkey Island features some far fetched riddles and a lot of backtracking, for example)

EDIT: If I had to make a top 5 based on which games I think are the best, that would be:

1) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
2) Day of the Tentacle
3) Riven
4) Monkey Island 2
5) Cahallan's Crosstime Saloon or Deathgate... Legend game are all almost perfect, but these two are the closest in my opinion. Deathgate is a tad short, and CSC a tad too difficult (especially the riddle nights), but otherwise it's all good (Interaction Density to the max ).

Last edited by Ninth; 05-29-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #67
SamNMax

KQ6 could possibly be the most important PC game of the 90s. It brought CD gaming to the mainstream. It's also really really good.

Regarding MI... well, I am a bit biased, I'll give you that. But there are no words to describe how brilliant the writing is and might be the funniest game ever. Plus, as I said, playing it was the best gaming expirience in my life, so I am biased.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #68

Quote:
KQ6 could possibly be the most important PC game of the 90s. It brought CD gaming to the mainstream. It's also really really good.

Regarding MI... well, I am a bit biased, I'll give you that. But there are no words to describe how brilliant the writing is and might be the funniest game ever. Plus, as I said, playing it was the best gaming expirience in my life, so I am biased.
About KQ... ok, even though taking this kind of thing into account would allow The 7th Guest to access a top 20, which would be a shame.

And yeah, I know what you mean. MI was my first PC game (aside from Roger Rabbit in Hary something Havoc, which is crappy and as such doesn't count), and it's my favorite AG as well.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #69
SamNMax

KQ6 doesn't make the list just for the whole CD thing. It also has remarkable voice acting, flawless lip synching, great writing, incredible graphics, and everything else I missed.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #70

Quote:
KQ6 doesn't make the list just for the whole CD thing. It also has remarkable voice acting, flawless lip synching, great writing, incredible graphics, and everything else I missed.
So I heard. I started playing it a few months ago but it didn't hook me. I need to get back to it to see what the fuss is about.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:45 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
Hmm... interesting. Why are all the top 5 listed from 1 to 5, instead of 5 to 1?

Anyway, here's my top 5 AG:
#5 Omikron
#4 Day of the Tentacle
#3 Legend of Kyrandia II: Hand of Fate
#2 The Longest Journey
#1 Grim Fandango

Because the person's number 1 game should be listed at the top (because it's their top favorite, top of the list...number 1 favorite?)

I think my nostalgic view on adventure games keep my games all in the past a few years, like the music in Simon, I still find myself whistling/humming it.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:27 PM   #72
Senior *female* member

1. Zork Grand Inquisitor
1. Day of the Tentacle
1. Riven
1. Obsidian
1. Grim Fandango
1. Discworld
1. The Last Express
Old 05-30-2006, 01:31 AM   #73
Adventure Game Veteran

they are...
1.Broken Sword 1
2.Broken Sword 2
3.Grim Fandango
4.Monkey Island 3
5.Sam and Max Hit the Road
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #74
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Always a tough question.

1. Gabriel Knight Series (Numbered in order of goodness - I'd rank all 3 in the top 5 and for diversity's sake we can't have that now, can we?)
2. Grim Fandango
3. Sam and Max
4. The Pandora Directive
5. Maniac Mansion

Blade Runner, The Longest Journey, and Kings Quest 6 were really close.

I personally feel the Monkey Island series, while really good, is very overrated as a whole. That being said, I believe Monkey Island 2 is the only one I haven't played much of (and I've finished the rest), and since that's regarded by most as the best I really should play that ...
Old 05-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #75
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Quote:

well, i think the CD32 system introduced CD gaming and 32 bit technology. Might have been a bit early that they released it and people weren't ready but it was reasonably priced, had LOTS of games available upon immediate release and doubled up as a CD player. was neat for its time, the first ever CD based console. Anyway... i wasn't a fan of KQ6, pity that it took a place off Indy in your overall scheme of things.

GoT
Old 05-31-2006, 01:44 AM   #76
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I really think KQ6 is one of the most revolutionary adventure games there is, which is why it almost made my list. Not too long before KQ6, and certainly in all of the previous KQ games, gameplay mostly consisted of walking around a lot, pixel hunting, and simple invetory based puzzles. The plots were very basic and had no real depth, serving more as just an excuse to do previously mentioned things. KQ6 was really one of the first games to focus more on the dramatic elements of the story and the characters, and I think it really helped usher in the golden age of adventure games, from the early 90s until 96 or so. Without it, I can't see most of the great non-comedic plot and character based games after it coming about.

It does hold some sentimental value to me as it was the game that really made me into an avid adventure gamer when it came out, but I hardly think I was alone in that case. I think it really helped the adventure game genre to grow, in number of players and in the quality of the games.