You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall Constructive Criticism

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #41

I got my hands in this game yesterday, really enjoying it so far, bit worried about how fast i'm getting through it though, already on chapter 4 after a couple of hours.

Swearing doesn't bother me at all, it's something very common where i live and i don't understand why it would shock people to hear it in a game. Unless you come from an area where swearing is rarely used, in that case, why should it be changed for those people if that's how the makers wanted it?

Only thing that gets to me every now and again is the graphics. Its really od in some parts, you'll enter a scene and see lots of gorgeous graphics and then suddenly see some flat fruit, (market area where zoe lives) and then there's the bit where your in charlies club and everythings really well done and then you come accross the woman sitting down completly frozen, it's these little things that do sometimes jolt me right back into reality when i've found myself really immersed in the game. I think this shows that they did have to rush things a little but it's nothing major.

Another thing that got to me was not being able to map certain keys in the control options, and it did take longer than usual to get used to using the mouse and keyboard, but now that i am used to it i'm perfectly happy with the cotrols. inerting the camera controls helped things a lot.

as for the puzzles, i like them, i've always been the sort to pull out the walkthrough if i get stuck on a puzzle for long, i play more for the story than the puzzles.

Same goes with the combat, it's not as bad as i thought it would be from what people were saying and i'm one of the few that thinks it adds to the game.

So, overall i'd give it an 8 or a 9, and i'm not dissapointed at all. I think the game suffers a little because the hype, people were expecting miracles, maybe if people picked it up as a new title they'd be more impressed? I personally wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking because nothing said about the game ever seemed grounbreaking, i don't think you can really do much to an adventure title to really make it groundbreaking, the more you do to the format the more it turns into an rpg, action adventure or some other genre, adventure games are limited by what defines tham (story and puzzles) and so it's hard for them to really move forward because there not limited by technology like other genres are so were able to reach their peak a long time ago (apart from graphics, but unlike other games graphics don't add so much to an adventure game).

hmm didn't plan on writing anywhere near that much....
Old 04-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #42
mockumentary

Send a message via MSN to Eyeball Kid
Default taboos and duality

I don't get how words often weigh much more in censorship decisions than for example violence. Maybe the rulers and censors have realized that violence can actually be quite entertaining, and that it would be a shame to ban something that enjoyable. And then the verbal "profanity" is removed just to compensate for all the blood shed.

It is interesting to see what is "profanity" is for different cultures and individuals. Some people get offended if someone uses the word "tits". In Norway, the "bad" words basically come from two groups: Sex and Religion (Christianity, mainly). The sex words aren't really that shocking anymore, although I leave them out of conversation unless they're relevant to the theme . One thing that surprises me, is that in Britain and US (sorry if I'm generalising here), many people do not really react to the word "Hell", while words like "shit" can be very bad. If there is one thing I can understand that some people can react to, it is the words that come from religion, like hell. That said, I wouldn't be offended if someone said "this day has been like hell" if it's been really terrible. It is interesting how the f-word is being automatically removed from the forum posts here, and replaced by four stars. I'd like to know why you chose to crown that one as the "prince of darkness". And really does the four stars hide anything?

I see no reason why FunCom should leave the "profanity" out of the game. When I heard "Flipper" in TLJ, I thought "finally". What's the point of leaving something out because it hasn't been used before? Another thing I really dont't understand, is why the game industry still are being forced to leave the out the nudity thing, as if even the thought of sex is still something to be ahamed of. It does not have anthing to do with reality, so why should we bother to put it in games. (Maybe I'm being a bit clumsy here; nudity doesn't necessarily have do be about sex. Usually, there is more than one way to see things)

I remember hearing a woman who had done research about verbal "profanity", argue that the "bad" words in a language often represents the "taboos" of that culture. And yes, I am one of those who think that there still are a lot of taboos, despite the whole "freedom of speech" idea. Sex and Religion, just to name two.

Last edited by Eyeball Kid; 04-28-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #43
Roar?

If there was no profanity in Dreamfall there would be no poor blind bastard, which would be a terrible thing.

Marcus' swearing made perfect sense to me and instantly conveyed to me the type of person he is.

I am really enjoying Dreamfall! I don't have trouble getting around, which is odd for me because usually I totally suck at navigating 3d worlds. I'm not too keen on the sneaking, because I'm impatient and I want to get to my destination NOW NOW NOW.

The voice acting is great with the exception of April's magical mustard coloured sidekick, who is just irritating.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
The voice acting is great with the exception of April's magical mustard coloured sidekick, who is just irritating.
Yeah what is the deal with her? The voice acting is very annoying with that character.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #45
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Crow is so adorable. I love him.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-29-2006, 01:44 AM   #46
Banned User

I'm at the end of the chapter 4 and I gotta say that I'm disapointed. Had very high expectations for this game.. It is a good game and worth the money but it's short and doesn't have much gaming in it. Plus, I'm getting a feeling that the ending leaves more open than what it should; give answers.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:34 AM   #47
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYou
Plus, I'm getting a feeling that the ending leaves more open than what it should; give answers.
You're getting that feeling at the end of chapter 4? Impressive! Many people need to play through most of the game for that.

Yes, we all know the ending leaves many questions unanswered, but how you manage to "get the feeling" so early in the game is beyond me.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #48
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
You're getting that feeling at the end of chapter 4? Impressive! Many people need to play through most of the game for that.

Yes, we all know the ending leaves many questions unanswered, but how you manage to "get the feeling" so early in the game is beyond me.
Go figure
Old 05-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #49
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122
Default everyone's a prude, these days

What's with all the complaining about Dreamfall's language? All I hear on forums these days is "Dreamfall really sank to a lower level in using so many curses," "Dreamfall was really inappropriate considering the language," blah blah blah "offensive," blah blah blah, "unneccessary."

Granted, it's not overbearring on these forums (though it's still here-- tucked neatly inside the thread about the bar names in Dreamfall's Marcuria), but I hear it everywhere on the internet. Even a few mothers at EBX the other day were lamenting the use of "bad language" in Dreamfall (one of their sons had bought it for himself) and other games as well.

Jesus, does anybody REMEMBER TLJ at all? Dreamfall wasn't a tenth as racy as TLJ. I recall Zak calling April a "stupid ****ing bitch" because she wouldn't date him, the Flipper cursing and objectifying women to the umpteenth degree (I think he even says "cunt" about four times), a car alarm declaring "STEP THE **** AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE," a gay police officer (some people find this "racy"-- so I'm listing it), explosive diarrhea, an eyeball that falls out of its socket every time said diarrhea victim has a bowel movment, references to lesbian sex, references to straight sex, drugs, and an extraordinarily sexist sea captain.

This doesn't hold a candle to Dreamfall's occasional "shit!" and "oh ****?" Granted, Marcus swears a fair amount, but it isn't anything that wasn't featured in the original, thirty-fold.

I hear arguments that a game shouldn't be so offensive as to use such language. Why not? Real life is offensive. I know games aren't real life, but everyone wants them to be. It's part of the ads and the hype created by fans-- "MOST REALISTIC _____ EVER!!" Hey, I even thought the idea behind Dreamfall was that it was supposed to be more "life-like" and immersive in its gameplay.

Why are people so warped as to not want to see the word "cock" or "puss" or "shit" or, god forbid, "****" in their games anymore, but still go out and buy DOOM 3?

For some ****ed up reason, it's totally okay to interactively gut someone, slit their throat, shoot them in the head, chest, stomach, or balls, chop their head off, sever their body, sell drugs, use drugs, steal, brutally beat innocents, and commit arson. But sex? Oh my god, no! Words that refer to sex? Oh heavens! What a horrid concept! Gruesome violence is one thing, but things that are in any way related to sex or sexuality, why, are just atrocious!

It's the same thing with, and you'll forgive me, as it's not an adventure game, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Everyone is freaking out about the violence, but once soccor moms figure out that you can have interactive SEX in the game? Immediately it's given an AO rating! Nevermind the murder-- sex, clearly, is the worse offendor, and will rot your child's mind, even emotionally and psychological damage them. Yep, that's right-- sex is evil. And worse than killing.

Wait what the ****?

Really, I'd rather have my 12 year old kid listening to people say "****" a lot in Dreamfall or TLJ and having interactive sex with someone (who, quite frankly, looks like a box) in GTA, than interactively shooting things.

Not that I have anything against shooting things interactively. It's just that non-violent, consentual sex seems a lot less offensive to me than, oh say, murder.

But I'm funny like that.

But hell, no one raises an issue.

They just complain about the five "****s," nine "shits," and one "asshole" in Dreamfall.

Oh shut up and go jerk off.

Oh no wait, jerking-off is evil too, and it kills kittens. Duh.

/rant

Last edited by guybrush122; 05-01-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #50
Ronin

The short answer is: because the human race is incredibly irrational.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #51

Well after finally receiving my game and playing it for a few hours I must say I can't really think of severe criticisms. Granted, the fighting system is way too easy/buggy, but half way into the game I think I haven't fought more than a total of 10 minutes. Anyway, the story is shaping up to be quite good, the graphics/art-direction is simply great (plus the game runs great on ultra settings with AA), the dialogue is very good if not better than in the original and the puzzles are better than I expected (after reading some comments).

I like my adventure games with more emphasis on story and such than on puzzles, especially in "realistic" games (as opposed to Monkey Island absurd ridiculous ) So far, I've been thoroughly enjoying the story, and the game overall is far better than what I was expecting. It may not be the perfect hybrid adventure/"action" game, but it's a damn good attempt in my book. About the swearing; what's the big deal? People swear! Besides I've only seen it used maybe four or five times so far and even then it was with good reason, I seriously can't see how you can find that a nuisance (plus the original had it to).