You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Keepsake review at Gamespot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Ledz
Default Keepsake review at Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/keepsake/review.html?sid=6148028

That review is just so... ARGH!

I don't agree about nearly anything, except for the voices thing, and even then, not all of 'em were THAT bad, and the puzzles, which is just about the only good thing they had to say about this game. I thought the story was cool and I got this sense of awe walking around the huge academy and finding out things. I think it's not perfect but has a lot going for it... I would've given it like a 7.5-8.0. Gamespot suck!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:25 AM   #2

I hate to say it, but this time I agree with Gamespot. Keepsake is a very flawed game. Great visuals though.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
LA-S-LE

Yes,for some reason the review is rather fair. Uninteresting story, bad characters, a lot of running around, almost no interactivity.. That's Keepsake allright.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:37 AM   #4
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Keepsake is a slideshow game, not bad, but not good either. Just running around, and a story you don't care about and hardly ANY interaction.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-22-2006, 02:49 AM   #5
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Keepsake is a slideshow game
In what sense? I've only seen "slideshow" used in reference to particular presentation style (Myst, Dark Fall).
Old 04-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledz
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/keepsake/review.html?sid=6148028

That review is just so... ARGH!

I don't agree about nearly anything, except for the voices thing, and even then, not all of 'em were THAT bad, and the puzzles, which is just about the only good thing they had to say about this game. I thought the story was cool and I got this sense of awe walking around the huge academy and finding out things. I think it's not perfect but has a lot going for it... I would've given it like a 7.5-8.0. Gamespot suck!
Everybody is going to have their own opinion. Just b/c GameSpot doesn't agree w/ you, doesn't mean they suck.

IMHO, GameSpot, I find, is one of the most FAIR & HONEST game reviewers out there -- yes, they can be very harsh, but at least they don't often WAY OVERSCORE games like IGN does.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Uninteresting story, bad characters, a lot of running around, almost no interactivity.. That's Keepsake allright.
Hmm, I thought everything in the game was quite good.. safe perhaps some of the voice acting but I don't have much trouble with that either... I agree with the Gamespot reviewer though that the puzzles are the best part of the game.

The story for me was interesting enough as that it kept me curious to know what was happening at the Academy (although it was a tad predictable in the end).

To me, the game really had this wonderful 'brothers Grimm' fairytale atmosphere.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterD
Everybody is going to have their own opinion. Just b/c GameSpot doesn't agree w/ you, doesn't mean they suck.

IMHO, GameSpot, I find, is one of the most FAIR & HONEST game reviewers out there -- yes, they can be very harsh, but at least they don't often WAY OVERSCORE games like IGN does.
Come now, Gamespot are usually fair, I agree, but they are very harsh on adventure games, save for the classics.. you rarely see and adventure game getting something above a 7, and don't tell me it's because they don't deserve it..
Old 04-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Come now, Gamespot are usually fair, I agree, but they are very harsh on adventure games, save for the classics.. you rarely see and adventure game getting something above a 7, and don't tell me it's because they don't deserve it..
Ah, but we rarely see it. Not never. And many games don't deserve more than a 7. I agree that sometimes Gamespot don't produce the most... reliable of reviews, but it doesn't follow that every review they publish must be worthless.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I am playing the game right now, and enjoying it, but I still would not rate it over a 6.5. After running through the same hallways many times, just to find out I haven't met some prerequists for a puzzle I already had solved before, but it wouldn't let me finish it...

I do find the story amusing though. Zak is adorable!

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 04-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Keep in mind, if you get above a 7 from GameSpot, you're reaching "Good" status. 8 is "Great". And 9 is "superb."

I dunno, but here's a short list of some of the big adventures and their scores:

Grim Fandango got a 9.3.
The original TLJ got 9.3.
Syberia took home a 9.1.
Indigo/Fahrenheit got a 8.4.
Broken Sword: Sleeping Dragon got an 8.1
Dreamfall: TLJ got a 8.1.
Syberia 2 took home a 7.8.
Shadow of Destiny (PC) got a 7.7, while a 8.2 on the (PS2).

I dunno', but looks like those adventures got some good scores from GameSpot.

Here's a nice long list:
http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?t...ll&sortdir=asc
Old 04-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I'm playing Keepsake right now and I'm enjoying it. The in game hint system is very useful. The map is a godsend especially with a couple of funky places.

The voices (and I have the North American version) are not bad at all. Mustavio is improved but he still has an overdone Italian accent (but he's not in the game much).

The environments, I think, are beautiful. Exploring the academy has been a lot of fun. The characters do stand out against the backgrounds but I can live with it. I really like the puzzles too.

The story has definitely kept me playing. I think it's told very well and I want to find out what's next (which is in contrast to the review).
Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #13
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I wish people would stop ragging on Gamespot, its not the only site that gives bad reviews for adventure games, maybe its because everyone is sick and tired of stale shitty same old thing adventure games.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I have to say that I usually check out almost every adventure game that is released, but I really have no interest what-so-ever in Keepsake. I tried the demo (I forced myself to), and it was just so damn boring and poorly made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
its not the only site that gives bad reviews for adventure games, maybe its because everyone is sick and tired of stale shitty same old thing adventure games.
I agree.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #15
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
In what sense? I've only seen "slideshow" used in reference to particular presentation style (Myst, Dark Fall).
He must have intrepted the term "slideshow game" as a "boring game" since most people get bored during slideshow presentations. Or least, that's what I intrepted his intreptation was.

Also good adventure game rating from gamespot:
Circle of Blood (9.2)
Sanitarium (8.3)

...that's it.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:49 PM   #16

Keepsake is just not for everyone, that's it. I'd say it delivers what it had promised to deliver in a charming and efficient, but not breathtaking, way.

For this kind of game, who cares what grade Gamespot or any other non-adventure site give it, really? It's a niche within the niche; of course Gamespot won't give it a 9.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

I don't understand what people's fascination is with Gamespot, period. It seems every time they review anything, someone starts a thread on it. They're second only to Tim Schafer around here for having their every word followed religiously. I mean, they've got their own forums if people really want to comment on their reviews.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
Homer of Kittens

A lot of the staff of gamespot don't even have a university degree. They were just in the right place at the right time, and they landed their job. But no, we don't care, it must suck because gamespot says it does.

Firefox rules
Old 04-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #19
Explorer of the uncharted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
A lot of the staff of gamespot don't even have a university degree. They were just in the right place at the right time, and they landed their job.
Many of the most legendary game designers trough the history of gaming did that too.
A university degree does not a talented man make.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #20
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcroManiac
Many of the most legendary game designers trough the history of gaming did that too.
A university degree does not a talented man make.
Agreed. But in the case of gamespot, and watching their staff through the various shows and reviews, I'm inclined to think that they don't fall into the category of "legendary game designers" or "legendary" anything for that matter.

Firefox rules