You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Telltale feedback discussion [split from Focus Group thread]

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

I wish I lived there, because I have a thing or two I'd like to discuss with them (you.... )

Mostly about how they are doing their releases and such from a non-biased standpoint. Seems to me many people are afraid to tell them the truth, and I would except that their forum is full of people who would tear you to shreds if you so much as question them at all.

It would be nice to be able to talk one on one. Shame. If anyone goes could they at least ask questions for me perhaps?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Seems to me many people are afraid to tell them the truth, and I would except that their forum is full of people who would tear you to shreds if you so much as question them at all.
I think you'd be surprised. I'm not exactly sure what "truth" you're getting at, but if Telltale's actions so far have shown anything, it's that they're totally willing to listen to and implement feedback when they can (just look at the physical release of Bone).
Old 03-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I think you'd be surprised. I'm not exactly sure what "truth" you're getting at, but if Telltale's actions so far have shown anything, it's that they're totally willing to listen to and implement feedback when they can (just look at the physical release of Bone).
Maybe you didn't see the thread on their forum when I dared to question the hardware fingerprinting and episode model? Everyone besides the telltale team was ripping my post apart, the fanboyism was too much to bear. I will admit that they are nice and listen though, I can give them that.

However they have yet to impress me with a game, and even moreso they have yet to produce a game without a known IP. Together with that and the protection methods they use makes me very wary of even trying the games. When the CSI demo comes I'll have a better idea, but for now I don't understand why they get acclaim they do not yet deserve. One's past does not guaruntee one's future.

Telltale isn't, and never will be, Lucasarts. People need to start judging on actions and their games, not on what they supposedly did in the past.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
Maybe you didn't see the thread on their forum when I dared to question the hardware fingerprinting and episode model? Everyone besides the telltale team was ripping my post apart, the fanboyism was too much to bear. I will admit that they are nice and listen though, I can give them that.
I don't know what thread you're talking about, no, but the fact that the Telltale team was nice and listened to what you had to say is what I was getting at.

Anyway. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Sorry Jake.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Anyway. I don't want to hijack this thread.

Yes, sorry about that.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #6

When you post on Telltale, and people disagree with your post or explain why they think your statements are wrong, that's hardly "ripping your post apart".

Telltale's episode model is done for a very good reason - quick turnaround, quick cashflow input. Some people like yourself will never be comfortable with episodic games, and that's entirely your perogative. But Telltale are banking on bringing a lot of non-adventure gamers to the genre via their games. That's the reason why the first bone was so easy - so as not to put off people who were unfamiliar with AGs.

They've shown they can make non-episodic games with CSI.

They are using existing IP presently because it's a whole lot easier and significantly cheaper to market for a startup company as you have existing fanbases ready to tap. But I too am really looking forward to their first original game (Hold' Em excepted) and am hoping it may feature Dank the caveman in some form.

And believe it or not, some of us actually did like Out from Boneville.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30
That's the reason why the first bone was so easy - so as not to put off people who were unfamiliar with AGs.
My problems do not lie with the difficulty, I like tons of easy adventures.

Quote:
And believe it or not, some of us actually did like Out from Boneville.
I don't doubt that, but there are tons out there who seem to like their games, and yet hate others for the very same reasons they love Bone. Just seems like a double standard used by those who were Lucasarts fans back in the day. If Jane Jenson made a pile of crap today I wouldn't claim it was godly because I am a sierra fan. If you like it for its quality, fine....but I'm just stating what I've read on their forums and how people seem so defensive when I try to critic the game rather than love it automatically.

And this is waaaay off topic. I've taken my thoughts to pm with Jake, so lets keep this thread back on its course.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default Telltale feedback discussion [split from Focus Group thread]

I split this off into it's own thread for the benefit of both discussions.

Hope nobody minds
Old 03-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

And I edited my post accordingly.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Telltale isn't, and never will be, Lucasarts. People need to start judging on actions and their games, not on what they supposedly did in the past.
Isn't that kind of weird of you say since you admit you've never played any of their products (besides the Bone demo I assume)? Whether the people you disagree with are overboard with their praise or not, you should get a look at a Telltale game for yourself before judging them based on what you see as excessive fan hype.

I've seen some examples of what you're referring to, yes, but if you'd take your own advice and look past rude comments from people who in no way represent the company in question your opinion may not seem as whiney.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:54 AM   #11
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Isn't that kind of weird of you say since you admit you've never played any of their products (besides the Bone demo I assume)? Whether the people you disagree with are overboard with their praise or not, you should get a look at a Telltale game for yourself before judging them based on what you see as excessive fan hype.
I have played bone, I don't judge games without playing them. I felt they would have been better off creating an animated short rather than a game to be honest. The only real thing I was 'doing' was saying the same conversation pieces over and over until the game let me by. Worse - there was no interaction with anything. I just went from point A to point B. Hardly what I'd come to expect from old veterans of the genre. Bone felt to me like it was their first ever experience in the field.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 AM   #12

Quote:
the fanboyism was too much to bear.
I'm with you there. You should see me against the fanboys when I question something on the Radiohead forums.

Quote:
Apart from Grim Fandango and CoMI, I've not enjoyed any of the Lucasarts games I've played (Sam and Max (I HATE it!), Full Throttle, The Dig, Escape From MI and DoTT). I bought the Bone game out of intuition and because the simple but perfected style of the demo convinced me to buy it. Also, although I've never read your post with this blueprint thingy, I can say that I have read a number of people complaining about the time spent to complete the first installment. The fact that it's ex-lucasarts programmers is something that I never think about and need reminding of. And personally, I don't care.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:41 AM   #13
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
Apart from Grim Fandango and CoMI, I've not enjoyed any of the Lucasarts games I've played (Sam and Max (I HATE it!), Full Throttle, The Dig, Escape From MI and DoTT). I bought the Bone game out of intuition and because the simple but perfected style of the demo convinced me to buy it. Also, although I've never read your post with this blueprint thingy, I can say that I have read a number of people complaining about the time spent to complete the first installment. The fact that it's ex-lucasarts programmers is something that I never think about and need reminding of. And personally, I don't care.
Go play MI2....now

NOOOOW

But yeah, Ive seen the fanboyism go on over at the Telltale forums, especialy when people were wondering if there would ever be a physical copy of Bone for sale....one guy made a post about it and the thread was full of posts telling him to get with the times and "I used to be a box whore too but now im cool" kinda stuff. Telltale seem cool though, they still listened and are now selling a boxed version on their site.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #14

Quote:
I have played bone
So you got your problem sorted out then? I thought the last thing you said about it was you wouldn't play it because of some problem with hardware fingerprinting.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #15
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You haven't seen fanboysim until you've visited the Steam forums...

Anyway...

I played the demo of Bone, and would probably have bought it if it had been a bit longer. I still might, but at this stage I'm kind of hoping for some discount if I buy it with episode two . I certainly didn't think that the demo was bad. Short, yes, but well designed, and I liked the way that the conversations were used.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.