You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure just finished Longest Journey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
scribeswindow

Default just finished Longest Journey

Just finished Longest Journey and thought it was fantastic!! I just wanted to share that with everyone....
Old 03-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribeswindow
Just finished Longest Journey and thought it was fantastic!! I just wanted to share that with everyone....
That´s what I thought too. One problem though: Finishing the game leaves you with a sense that nothing will ever be this good again.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #3

I really wanted to feel that way about this game, but I couldn't even finish it and I'm not sure why. The puzzles were kinda bad and I just didn't care what happened nor did I really like the art design of the game.

I know I am in the minority on this one and I'm probably just way too picky, but thats just my take on it.

I do know what you mean about thinking you'll never play a game so good again - I just finished CoMI for the second time and loved every bit of it...well the ending puzzle was a bit easy, but the art design, the puzzles, the acting - Top Notch.

What are you gonna play next?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
I really wanted to feel that way about this game, but I couldn't even finish it and I'm not sure why. The puzzles were kinda bad and I just didn't care what happened nor did I really like the art design of the game.

I know I am in the minority on this one and I'm probably just way too picky, but thats just my take on it.
I felt the same way. I think it's one of those games where you either become enthralled with the storytelling or you don't and that affects a lot. For instance, everything about TLJ that I disliked could also be lobbied against other games I enjoyed but found the subject manner more preferable. Oh well. Glad a lot of people liked it, wish I felt the same.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Lazy Bee

Quote:
I do know what you mean about thinking you'll never play a game so good again - I just finished CoMI for the second time and loved every bit of it...well the ending puzzle was a bit easy, but the art design, the puzzles, the acting - Top Notch.

We must be absolute oposites. In TLJ I felt I wanted sneak to the computer to save the world all the time, but in CMI I sometimes had to force myself to finish the game. I did enjoy it too, especially the witty dialogues. But it never absorbed me.

Right now I´m playing Sentinel. It´s OK.
After that I have Full Throttle waiting.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #6

Well, to be honest, I can never TRULY say I cared about CMI's story enough to jump in and save everyone, but I was very into it - like I get into a good adventure movie. Also, I just really couldn't wait to see what puzzle was coming up next and what gorgeously drawn settings and characters I would see. Never once felt that while playing TLJ, but like i said, I wish I did.

I do consider CMI one of my top ten favortite adventures.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #7

My journey through that game was particularly weird, at first I was afraid it was going to be pseudo art-magic pap and my tolerance is being tested on that front enough by Grant Morrison (I love his works but he really needs to give those techno-hatred issues of his a rest or at least seek out counselling).

However, I was pleased that the person I was guiding through the adventure was of pretty much the same mind as I was, that's when I begun to realize how decidedly clever the writing of the game was. April's attitude did tend to lean towards disgust regarding pretention, regardless of how ancient and powerful it might've claimed to be. Her acceptance was given to those who treated her with greater equity.

Thus she had a kinder disposition towards the White Dragon rather than our friend Cortez or the more fascist leader of the Vanguard.

This was even more eminent in her own diary.

I think that made the entire story more palatable for me rather than the usual fantasy stuff. I tend to be more of a Sci-fi fan myself (which is why I genuinely enjoyed Stark), with perhaps leanings to historic storylines (which is why I enjoyed Still Life). Had this been force fed as some of the more genuinely egotistical storylines I've encountered, I would've had a lot less enjoyment out of it.

I found it a refreshing experience, one of my favourites.

As for the puzzles, I didn't think they were that bad. I managed to figure out some of the hardest by myself. The only point where I really got up and had to walk around in shere frustration was with the pillars on the island of the Crab-people and the Giant. Then I realized how the icons were supposed to align and it all clicked into place.

They're not as illogical as in some games I'd seen. Honestly I thought the Longest Journey was worthy of the original five star review it'd garnered on AdventureGamers, rather than the reduced 4.5. Few games are of that calibre and as I said, the fact that I enjoyed it was something of a testament to its niftyness.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #8

I too hugely enjoyed this game. I thought the intergration of cyberpunk and fantasy was masterful.

And yes, the character of April helped a lot; as a player you could relate to her, and diaries were a masterstroke, giving an insight into her thoughts and feelings.

I hope the multi-character format of Dreamfall won't mean that the intimacy will be lost.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

The single and best thing in this game is that April is not a hero, they don't treat this game like a nobody turns into a super hero, she is human, young and innocent. And thats one of the best things I love about this game.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I liked some of the artwork, the Border-house, most of Venice, the floating castle, and the Marcurian ships. I also liked some of the characters, Brian, Horatio, Flipper, and Klacks, all had really cool dialogue, and back stories. April has some nice dialogue, mainly when she is talking to herself. The whole Alatien/Maerum theme, the island and under the sea was cool. The music used, like when started a chapter was fantastic.

The puzzles were pretty lame, especially the duck + clamp + clothes line one.

It's my third favourite adventure, but as a whole it's really hard to play for me. It's a game where I'm thinking most of the time "they should have cut this", "I wish I knew what happened to...", "why can't I go there", "not again", and "that makes no sense, whatsoever".
Old 03-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
That´s what I thought too. One problem though: Finishing the game leaves you with a sense that nothing will ever be this good again.
I can definitely relate to that sentiment but there there's still hope that we could be proven wrong one day.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryScots
I can definitely relate to that sentiment but there there's still hope that we could be proven wrong one day.
I felt rather sad when it ended, I wanted to know what happened to april, and I've waited ever since it was released for a sequel. And here it comes!!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 03-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
I felt rather sad when it ended, I wanted to know what happened to april, and I've waited ever since it was released for a sequel. And here it comes!!
Yeah, me too. And I like the fact that 10 (story-)years will have passed since we last saw her. I so do hope that we will learn a lot of what happened to her although she won't play the leading role anymore.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #14
Hitch-Hiker

I wonder if the PC version will have the settings to be able to really make the graphics look great, the Xbox version looks a bit iffy.

_

Old 03-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
headless

From what I've seen so far I think it looks great already (only thing I don't like is the look of the icons' (options/inventory) implementation as it was when I last saw it in February). I've only seen it on a big screen, though, but as it has been the PC version each time I can't comment on the Xbox graphics. On the other hand, I'm usually forgiving not-so-perfect graphics as long as the story is engaging and I just expect the latter from Ragnar T.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #16
scribeswindow

Quote:

At the moment I'm studying and working, so for the last two years (i'm in third year), I have been saving my adventure game playing for the holidays. Which in fact makes it more enjoyable, because I have the "looking forward to" factor as well. I have a handful of games that I am yet to play, and the two that I'm most looking forward to is Still Life and Broken Sword, the first one. So, mid-year break, when it gets here, I will be trying to play these two. It will depend on how long it will take to get through. I also have a CSI game and a Sherlock Holmes one too. I bought RoTS, but couldn't get into it, but if I get really desperate I may give that one another go too.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #17

The last few chapters went by especially quickly. It didn't seem rushed, per se, but I felt like there was so much gameplay in the first 9 or so, then I finished the last part in about an hour. Especially...
Spoiler:
The last two Draic Kin jewels. All this traveling all over the place to complete the disk and to get the first two stones, and then, suddenly, it seemed like the last two just drop in your lap. When I got those final two, I suddenly thought "man, this is it. I thought I had a few hours left, but it's almost over."
The final few puzzles seemed a little easy, also, but I think that was actually a bonus. When you're that close to the end, and you know it, it was good to not have to spend an hour on each puzzle, and just be able to finish off the game while at the same time get the feeling that you're still affecting the outcome.

Aside from the graphics (mainly, the characters) being a little dated, it was a great game. I don't necessarily mind the actual look of the characters, but the animations, and especially the animations when one character was interacting with another or with some item, left something to be desired. This is a problem with most early 3D, polygonal titles, so it's not something I really hold against The Longest Journey, but it's still something that bothers me.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:13 AM   #18
Explorer of the uncharted

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribeswindow
What? You wan'a cookie?! Go play Still Life then!

Anyway, It's been a long time since I've gone trough it. I need to find my copy...
Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM   #19
Master of time and space

I also finished it recently (last week) and I think it's ok, some parts of the game just felt out of place and corny...
Old 03-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #20

You're actually recommending Still Life to someone without any forewarning Ncro? You cruel, cruel man.

As for the Longest Journey, I could probably patch up the story like I did with Fahrenheit but I won't, I've already put too much effort into that and if I act too much the bard, I'm afraid it's going to end up alienating the board. Generally it all made sense I think ... but as with almost every story out there, one has to put part of oneself into the story for it to be truly understood. Subjectivity and all that. Anyway, as for some parts of it being corny, April would actually agree with you wholeheartedly, check her diary. That was part of what made it quite so magical for me. That's what created the immersion. I'll never stop singing the praises of that diary. Every game should have the main character keeping a diary.