You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Games - Your thoughts on these...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #1

Default Adventure Games - Your thoughts on these...

I have a few adventure games in mind that I'd like to try and was wondering if you folks could answer a question or two about em.

1) Simon the Sorceror - could you explain the type of puzzles in this game? Are they clever and well done? Are they ALL of a magical nature or are some grounded in reality.

2) Discworld 1 - How are the puzzles compared to part 2 ? Same type I'd imagine, but are they better or worse?

3) Dark Fall - Is this more inventory type puzzles or Myst type puzzles?

4) Which Myst game would you recommend for someone who doesn't really like Myst type games? Riven? Revelation? or another?

5) What are the puzzles like in I Have No Mouth? Can you die in that game?

Last edited by indyjones2131; 03-17-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

1) Depends on what kind of puzzle you find clever and well-done. Clever to one person is illogical to another. I personally didn't find them very intuitive.

3) A mixture of both.

4) If you don't like Myst type games, I would recommend you don't play Myst games.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

2) They're considerably more illogical, and thus harder. Utterly crazy at times.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #4

So what is the draw of the Simon series then?

I DO want to try a Myst game - just wondering where to best start.

So Discworld 1 has more illogical puzzles than 2?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

The best place to start would be the first one, because the series tried to cater to the original fanbase, which means the puzzles got progressively higher after the first.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #6

Regarding Discworld 1, I think the main difference with #2 is that the game gives you far more clues in the second one (Rincewind often drops some not-so-subtle hints, etc.). So the first one will probably feel harder. Still I wouldn't call the puzzles illogical; most of them make sense within the framework of the game (well, not much less so than in the second one, anyway).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #7

1) Simon puzzles are almost logical, albeit a bit zany, kinda like Monkey Island 2. I liked them, myself, and found them clever and pleasant. They are not really of a magical nature, or at least few of them are. The setting is a fantasy setting, though.

EDIT: Simon is a long, funny, rich, beautiful and charming game. That's its draw .

2) Discworld puzzles are incredibly tough, sometimes completely stupid, but mostly just hard to figure out. I liked the puzzles in the first one better than the ones in the second one, but I suppose that they really are kind of similar, except that in the first one, you never know whether the objects that you pick up will be useful now or 20 hours later. It's still a great game, though, if only for the graphics, sounds and humour.

3) Mostly Myst-like, but really more Myst-light, with a very few inventory puzzles. I think they can easily appeal to someone who's not that fond of Myst, though.

4) Exile is a good start in the Myst series: not very hard, and with something ressembling a story. Revelation is a better game, but it's a bit hard, so it might put you off. Just avoid Myst 5, which is not really good, and Riven, which is great but too austere are hard to start.

5) From the little that I've played the game, the puzzles are annoying inventory puzzles, with a fair amount of pixel hunting, but don't quote me on that.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
4) Which Myst game would you recommend for someone who doesn't really like Myst type games? Riven? Revelation? or another?
I´d say Revelation. Harder that Exile but much better exploration. Beautiful graphics.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Elegantly copy+pasted

5) The puzzles in I Have No Mouth are fairly traditional inventory puzzles. However, it provides a lot of multiple solutions and optional things, and a big part of the game is to find the best solution to each problem (you have a kind of morale meter which responds to your actions). And yes, you can die. You can even continue the game with one of the other characters after you die, though you may not be able to get the best (least depressing) ending.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #10

Okay, so I just tried Exile - Yeah - it was pretty and all, but MAN!! I just can't get into these games. I never feel like I know what I'm supposed to be doing and the puzzles just seem like a case of locate the clue in a book and do that.

I really want to broaden my area of adventure games having just about played every inventory based one, but I just can't do it!

I then tried Uru which was gorgeous, but of course the same problems arose. I did like the freedom of movement though - Exile's nodes seemed off now and then.

Anyway, maybe someone could clue me in on the reason these games are so loved. Like I said, I want to like them, but I just miss the Macgyver puzzles I guess.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
I then tried Uru which was gorgeous, but of course the same problems arose. I did like the freedom of movement though - Exile's nodes seemed off now and then.

Anyway, maybe someone could clue me in on the reason these games are so loved. Like I said, I want to like them, but I just miss the Macgyver puzzles I guess.
I don´t think you can force yourself to like something you really do not enjoy. But if the reason to play the Myst and Uru games are to broaden your horizon, hang in there.
I started my gaming very late in life and actually played Uru first of all, then the Myst games. After that I´ve learned to enjoy inventory games and older games.
The Myst and Uru games give you beautiful, enchanting "worlds" to explore. I´ve enjoyed the graphics, music and the challenge of solving (often) logic puzzles. The games are very peaceful and desolate. I guess many who loves the Myst games use them to relax.

Last edited by Jelena; 03-19-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddles
The best place to start would be the first one, because the series tried to cater to the original fanbase, which means the puzzles got progressively higher after the first.
I'd recommend RealMyst. It has real-time 3D movement instead of nodes. The puzzles are the same as in the original version of Myst. RealMyst also has weather effects like rain and wind and a day/night cycle. Also, RealMyst has an extra Age at the end - not a very large age, but the falling snow is nice.