You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
Easily amused

Default Adventure Club

How are things going with this? I'm still up to play the Dig once GK1 is done.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Make it Dott! or maybe Ankh since thats coming out soon.

Oh! OOOOOH! CSI!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #3

I think the only real participant in the GK1 thread (Phod) finished it several weeks ago, so I guess it can be considered as 'done'. The playthrough didn't work as well as for BASS, it seems, though I'm unsure why.

Whatever happens, I doubt I'll be able to take part in another one soon (I actually started GK1, but I'm still on Day 4 and haven't touched it in weeks). But you should check that there are enough people really interested, to make the thread interesting, as well as someone who has enough time on his/her hand to chair the whole thing (Jeysie did a great job with BASS, but obviously lacked time for GK1).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I'll admit to being kind of lazy - GK1 is already broken up into parts, so I could have still updated the thread even though I didn't have time to play; the problem was that nobody else seemed to be posting much, either, so I would have had to give an "extension" anyway.

Those that *did* post seemed to be ignoring the schedule and just playing to wherever they felt like stopping. So I kinda gave up bothering to update the schedule, figuring that people obviously just wanted to freely post. (shrug)

As for making sure people are interested, I took a poll and GK1 was one of the games that got a lot of attention... but apparently nobody really wanted to play. (shrug some more)

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 03-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Lazy Bee

Just a curious question:
What is this playthrough thing about and how is it done?
I read a little about it when you were organizing one of the playthroughs and as far as I understand, you chose a game that most of you already had played. How come?
If The Dig is about to be the next game I was thinking about joining. Do I have to be invited or so? Any secret handshakes or other creepy rituals?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
woof

I would have joined in the GK playthrough and tried to keep it alive if i could get a copy of the dam game...

We know CSI will be split into episodes so that could be easy to orginise
Old 03-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Easily amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Just a curious question:
What is this playthrough thing about and how is it done?
I read a little about it when you were organizing one of the playthroughs and as far as I understand, you chose a game that most of you already had played. How come?
If The Dig is about to be the next game I was thinking about joining. Do I have to be invited or so? Any secret handshakes or other creepy rituals?
It all came about because we thought it would be nice to have some discussion of older games on the board . It is just a matter of finding a few people interested in playing a game together. (actually we do need you to sign something about your first born............j/k ). The hardest part is getting a consensus of which game, and making sure people can get the game if they don't already own it. I haven't played the Dig, but was interested in giving it a go. It's nice to have someone who has already played the game moderate, since they know the pace of the game.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I would have joined the GK playthrough (or at least might well have done) if I hadn't been at uni while my copy of the game was at home .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
I think the only real participant in the GK1 thread (Phod) finished it several weeks ago, so I guess it can be considered as 'done'. The playthrough didn't work as well as for BASS, it seems, though I'm unsure why.
I got the impression that most people participating in the BASS playthrough had already played at least part of the game. Perhaps fewer people have tried GK1, so those who haven't aren't willing to give it a go in this way?

The fact that BASS is now free probably played a part, too.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Strategy Guide Author

I enjoyed the GK1 playthrough
Old 03-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I'll admit to being kind of lazy - GK1 is already broken up into parts, so I could have still updated the thread even though I didn't have time to play; the problem was that nobody else seemed to be posting much, either, so I would have had to give an "extension" anyway.

Those that *did* post seemed to be ignoring the schedule and just playing to wherever they felt like stopping. So I kinda gave up bothering to update the schedule, figuring that people obviously just wanted to freely post. (shrug)

As for making sure people are interested, I took a poll and GK1 was one of the games that got a lot of attention... but apparently nobody really wanted to play. (shrug some more)

Peace & Luv, Liz
Jeysie, just to make things clear, I'm not reproaching you with anything; I'm just trying to figure out what didn't work.

I know there was a poll. And lots of people seemed interested in GK. And then didn't join. What matters now is to understand why. I think it's very important to have some motivated people who've never played the game (as Moriarty and colpet for BASS, me for 5DAS), but that may not be enough.

I think it's important that the chair(wo)man be very active, as you were in BASS. It sets the pace of the playthrough. And when posting about the new section, you start giving some elements for the discussion. And of course it bumps the thread and allows others to catch up. Once again, I'm not reproaching you with anything. You didn't have time. Frankly, neither did I, so I'm in no position to complain.

I also think that the schedule was far too ambitious. The sections in BASS were completed in half an hour if you'd alreadly played the game, and a couple of hours otherwise. And that was a good balace, I think. With BASS and 5DAS, I spent less than an hour playing, and several hours posting about the game. Completing two days of GK takes hours, even if you've already played it. The game is crammed with description, dialogue, plot, puzzles, etc. And discussing all that in some detail would have taken hours and hours. Frankly, I was very surprised that there was so much in it. I didn't remember that each day was so choke-full of stuff. Maybe that was your case too. Which would show how important it is to have replayed the game before choosing the sections. And, I think, how important it is not to have too ambitious a schedule, so that people can just devote a couple of hours (maybe even less) a week to the playthrough (including the time required for posting) --- I think asking for more would be too much. And it also allows those who are late to catch up, something that happened in BASS and allowed the size of the group to grow.

So if it's going to be The Dig, I think it's important to have people who are motivated, a schedule that is not too ambitious, and a chair with a lot of time on his/her hands. I wish I could take part in it (or even try chairing it), but unless this only starts in a couple of weeks, I shan't be able to.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I got the impression that most people participating in the BASS playthrough had already played at least part of the game. Perhaps fewer people have tried GK1, so those who haven't aren't willing to give it a go in this way?

The fact that BASS is now free probably played a part, too.
I think the problem was with people who didnt have it getting a copy of it, especialy in the UK.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #13

Except for the beginning and ending portions of the game, The Dig is almost completely non-linear. Breaking it down into sections would be near impossible because every one would be solving different puzzles at different times.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
woof

yeah and I found it incredibly boring and i dont wanna miss out on another playthrough
Old 03-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #15
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
yeah and I found it incredibly boring and i dont wanna miss out on another playthrough
But you're in favor of DOTT, aren't you? That one is mostly non-linear too. And most people here have played it already.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #16
woof

Yeah, i was hoping for that to be the second one, feel like replaying that again
Old 03-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #17
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Yeah, i was hoping for that to be the second one, feel like replaying that again
So non-linearity is not a problem as long as you want to (re)play the game...

I've been reading the threads about the Adventure Club and my impression is that it's the women (Jeysie, Colpet) who try to make a success of it.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 AM   #18
Strategy Guide Author

I think another cool aspect of an Adventure Club, if the playthroughs aren't working as hoped, would be to pick a game and have a decent in-depth discussion about it.. what worked, what didn't, storyline analysis, opinions, comments, blah blah.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod
I think another cool aspect of an Adventure Club, if the playthroughs aren't working as hoped, would be to pick a game and have a decent in-depth discussion about it.. what worked, what didn't, storyline analysis, opinions, comments, blah blah.
Absolutely.
As much as I like the idea of playthroughs, I just can't twist my schedule to include one of those.

We could have a weekly (or monthly, or whatever) thread that would focus on one game...
Old 03-15-2006, 04:13 AM   #20
Easily amused

Though linearity helps in partitioning play, it doesn't preclude a game discussion. It can be interesting to see how differently you can progress in a game. A monthly focus on one game would be fine, as long as people remember to use spoiler tags when talking about specifics.