You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Shadow of Memories

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Headbanger

Default Shadow of Memories

Does anyone know if it is worth buying?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

YES!

Very, very, very good game. Left me thinking about it for a long time afterward. Absolutely the best game I played this year, and it's maybe my second favorite game of all time.

There is a long thread on this site where we discussed every aspect of the game we could think of. I'll try to find it for you. (But there are a lot of spoilers that are better off not read until you've played the game.)

I played the PC port (US version) and although it has a worse reputation than the console version, I personally thought it was fine. The interface was a little annoying but no more so than Conspiracies, which isn't a port at all.

-emily

edit: here's the mongo thread -- http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...hread.php?t=16 -- but it probably won't be of much use to you unless you've played the game.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Definetly, YES!

It's a deep, imaginative and satisfying little thing. Its biggest problem are the easy puzzles and the short length (if you play through it only once, which you shouldn't do), but you won't really mind, because of how captivating it is...

Get the PS2 version if you can, though.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 AM   #4
Headbanger

I better buy it then (it's really cheap now). But since I don't own (or like ) a console I have to buy the PC version.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:09 AM   #5
Banned User

The game is completely unplayable on PC without a Gamepad unless you are an experienced Doom/Quake player. Maybe even if you are.

errrr.... just an opinion.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:17 AM   #6
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
The game is completely unplayable on PC without a Gamepad
Don't worry. I have played Broken Sword 3.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:19 AM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Don't worry. I have played Broken Sword 3.
Totally different animal. Trust me on this.

Last edited by BacardiJim; 12-23-2003 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
The game is completely unplayable on PC without a Gamepad unless you are an experienced Doom/Quake player. Maybe even if you are.

errrr.... just an opinion.
No, Jim, while I haven't played the game myself, even regular FPS players say the interface is crap. Which is why I'm waiting till a PS2 falls from the sky like manna from heaven to play it ... one day ...
Old 12-23-2003, 09:35 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
That's funny, I managed to play the whole thing through from beginning to end... SEVEN TIMES... and I've never touched Doom or Quake in my life.

It's really not that bad. As I said above, IMO it's loads better than the controls in Conspiracies.

This game is so unique and the story is so excellent... it would be a real shame for anyone to forgo the game because they're afraid of the controls. Any difficulties are worth overcoming, and if you enjoy the story I guarantee you'll overcome them quickly.

-emily

ps I don't understand what about the interface is considered "crap" by FPS players. I think it's actually pretty intuitive... a lot better than some PC ports I've played. After SoD I started Nocturne and it took me days to stop walking around backwards. Maybe it's just personal preference.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:40 PM   #10
Hopeful skeptic

Regular FPS players might say the controls are crap because it's nowhere near as good as FPS control. But they say that about many third person games, from Tomb Raider to Resident Evil to BS3 (and deservedly so, in most cases).

But I agree completely with Emily that the controls are quite easy. The only complaint might be how the game handles indoors, because for some reason the whole camera perspective changes. But most of the game is spent in large, outdoor areas, and getting around is a breeze.

Tamara, there's really no point in waiting for a PS2 to play the game on. It's the same game with lower resolution. You'll be playing it on a gamepad that way, anyway, so why not just pick up a gamepad for PC?

All in all, a very intriguing game, and well worth a play for anybody, even if it's just for a change of pace.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:56 AM   #11

I've been wondering the same

Everytime I go to buy a game, I always think about getting shadow of memories but never do

I'll get it now people have given it good reviews
Old 12-24-2003, 02:56 AM   #12

I think the controls are OK, at least outdoors.
There you can use nothing else but the arrow up to run, and the mouse to steer.
Indoors it becomes more difficult; mouse steering doesn't work + position of the camera is not always optimal.
I didn't like some of the sounds in the game, e.g. when you access the inventory, and I really wonder why I sometimes can't skip cutscenes, and 800x600 as highest resolution is a bit low, but it looks OK when you turn AA and AF on.
Other than that the game is great, a bit easy and short, but I really like the different characters + the story.

btw: I don't think it makes sense to compare the controls of FPS (FIRST person shooters) and this.
If you ever join a quake server as spectator and use the chasecam perspective (3d person), you 'll know what I mean.
It would be imossible to do all these moves, jumps in 3d person...
Old 12-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

bird, you can skip a cutscene if you've seen it before. An option to press 'esc' to skip shows up at the bottom of the screen. I acutally thought this was smart design... because of the nature of this game, there are some scenes you'll see over and over (and will want to skip) and others that may be subtly different based on what you've done this time around. I liked that the game wouldn't let me accidentally skip over something I thought I'd seen before but actually hadn't. By the time I unlocked all the endings, it became a challenge for me to find scenes I wasn't allowed to skip over!

emily
Old 12-26-2003, 07:52 AM   #14

I have to second what all the other say here.. definitely a game worth picking up.

IMO probably the most under-rated/never heard of game on the pc. Too bad Konami doesnt spend any money and advertise this game.

G.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:31 AM   #15

Has anyone played both versions? If so, what's the pros and cons of both and which is worth getting? I *might* be getting access to a PS2 soonish
Old 12-26-2003, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
Has anyone played both versions? If so, what's the pros and cons of both and which is worth getting? I *might* be getting access to a PS2 soonish
If you have an higher-endish pc with good graphics card, the PC version looks better (ie 1024x768 resolution with AA and all that fancy crap).

Only advantage I can think of the PS2 version, is that by default the PS2 comes with a gamepad. heh. If you have a gamepad for your PC, then no big deal.

PC version has a couple scenes deleted (go figure, they are scenes in which explains on what buttons to use, ie there is no X button or L trigger on a PC, so they are justifiable to be deleted).

Other than that, they are pretty much the same imo.

G.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:27 PM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

I haven't played the PS2 version -- but aren't the save slots different?

I thought I heard that you couldn't save mid-chapter on the PS2 version. I could be wrong tho.

-emily
Old 12-27-2003, 07:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I haven't played the PS2 version -- but aren't the save slots different?

I thought I heard that you couldn't save mid-chapter on the PS2 version. I could be wrong tho.

-emily
You can save mid chapter in PS2, just that if I remember correctly, it gets erased once you load from it. (so you can just use it once).

While we're on the subject, has anyone played this on the XBOX? I heard its pretty rare.. just wondering if theres any differences in it...

G.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:12 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to charybdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazzt
If you have an higher-endish pc with good graphics card, the PC version looks better (ie 1024x768 resolution with AA and all that fancy crap)
Although in typical console fashion, that doesn't mean it looks lightyears better ;-) I reviewed this one when it came out on PC and it was perfectly playable with the keys, but I'd much rather have been on my sofa for some of those looooooooooooooooong cut-scenes.

Quote:
has anyone played this on the XBOX? I heard its pretty rare
Plenty of copies over here in Blighty. Haven't seen it running, but I'd guess it's a pretty straight port.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #20
Artist

Send a message via AIM to TekXombie Send a message via MSN to TekXombie Send a message via Yahoo to TekXombie

I played through the game and I never much found walking a big problem, maybe because it reminds me of the controls of Monkey Island 4 and Grim Fandango, which had similar control problems. Although it's not bad enough to warrant a gamepad. If you want to use a gamepad, you might be better off playing the PS2 version.