You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games and RPGS - a possible way of making multiplayer adventures real

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
all loved up

Default Adventure games and RPGS - a possible way of making multiplayer adventures real

Inspired by a fairly old idea that mulitplayer adventure games would be too difficult to excute, and having recently discovered Runescape, I noticed several similarities in the RPG layout and adventures. (which is probably why I'm now addicted to runescape!)
This got me thinking about how a multiplayer adventure game could be created using similar means, but rather than wandering and completing individual tasks as one does in an RPG, retaining a solid sense of purpose and story that are found in adventure games. For one, this would make the game far less linear than a traditional adventure game, and also would be more interactive, as for certain puzzles, the help of other players would need to be enlisted. (Or you could just get tips off other players)
Old 02-10-2006, 03:47 AM   #2

That's more or less what's Uru was supposed to be. Obviously it didn't work, but maybe they just didn't prepare it well (and maybe the world wasn't yet ready for it --- few people had broadband connections at the time).

I doubt anyone will be willing to risk the kind of money that sort of project needs anytime soon.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #3

Isn`t that what this is going to be? Wether it will ever happen is a different question.