You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword: The Angel of Death

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #1

Default Broken Sword: The Angel of Death

Well. Now that we have seen the trailer (nothing in it though), and we've found out the title, what do you guys think?

I'll just give my opinions. First, I hope this will either be point'n'click 3D, or keyboard with much better controls than BS3. Next, the title. I like it. It has the same simple yet somehow cheesy sound that worked for the two other sequels. And as for wether it will be good game? I can only say I hope so. I was very disappointed with BS3, but I still have faith.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Lost in translation

The trailer shows less than nothing, the title is cool though. I'm pretty excited about the game, but I'm taking it easy, I don't wanna my hopes too high.

The only thing I'm worried is about Nico, there's no mention og her not in the press infor nor in the trailer. And I just LOVE Nico! I hope she's in the game, else, who's gonna make all those witty remarks ?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #3

I'm a bit disappointed with the name and story. It sounds like a video game adaption of 'Angels & Demons' by Dan Brown with the whole 'science versus religion' theme. Coinsidence? I think not.

The game could still be good, though.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #4

I've just read the news report. So, let's see:
conspiracy . . . dark secrets from a long-forgotten history . . . the world's most powerful factions . . . a secret that they have secretly fought over for millennia . . . the mysterious and beautiful Anna Maria . . . a desperate race against time . . . an ancient artifact capable of immense destruction . . . an antiquated manuscript . . . that has been forgotten for over two thousand years . . . the world needs saving . . .

Ten of the most awfully bad and boring clichés in just two paragraphs. Way to go, Revolution!
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #5

I really dont like the title, its to close to "Angel of Darkness" and that name brings back terrible memories, although thats not really a valid reason to dislike it.

Its coming out next summer? Thats fast... so the engine should be the same,no?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #6

Currently, I'm SO worried about the game. Everything sounds so inappropriate for the series. The only picture of the game shows a George Sam Fisher would find hard to challenge, every written sentence about the story sounds so exaggerated, no word about Nico, and already now I feel like the game has not much of a connection to the predecessors.
This is almost like with Indigo Prophecy's story, throwing everything into one pot. A mysterious woman, leading George to a mysterious manuscript, leading George to a mysterious artifact[capable of destruction. Fabolous.] - I have forgotten the mysterious substance, awww - to some ancient, mysterious secret. The story is about some "world's most powerful faction", which George has to challenge. About a secret fight. And this is what GEORGE STOBBART has to stop? Excuse me, but what?
For me, it seems as if George Stobbart has become a superhero, and I highly doubt that this part of the series will be anything at all like the others.
It's just what I think will come, - and no doubt, I will play the game (if they don't decide to turn it into a shooter, that is) - but my hopes are pretty much non-existent.

Was the promo for Circle of Blood or the Smoking Mirror like that?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
I'm a bit disappointed with the name and story. It sounds like a video game adaption of 'Angels & Demons' by Dan Brown with the whole 'science versus religion' theme. Coinsidence? I think not.

The game could still be good, though.
'Science V Religion' is quite a common conflict, just cause Dan Brown may have been the first to make a story of it doesnt mean any other story using that plot line is copying it, thats like saying something like 'I Robot' is copying 'Blade Runner'(or Do Andriods dream of electric sheep in the books case) cause they both deal with robots becoming too human and the 'Man v Machine' conflict

I dont see what everyone is worried about, just about every BS has been like this, hell even in the first game George takes on some mysterious Faction just cause he almost got blown up by mistake
as lon as it sticks close to some real history and makes a story out of it like the other 3 then it will fit in with the series.

and Anna Maria? wasnt that the name of the white haired woman from BS3?

Last edited by Karmillo; 12-02-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #8

i don't like the title, i don't like the enormous ammount of clichés in the storyline (falling in love with X, saving the world Y, etc) and i didn't like the 3rd one at all, so i'm not excited at all
Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
kamikaze hummingbirds

i just know they'll be able to pull it off.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

So let's see, we have some marketing talk about the game, a title, and a teaser showing no actual game play. Based on that plethora of information I can only hate the game. ¬
Old 12-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #11

I don't see why people are so worried. If one tries to describe the plots of the three previous games with a few sentences, the result is just as cliché as this. It's also been confirmed that Nico will be in the game.

Quote:
and Anna Maria? wasnt that the name of the white haired woman from BS3?
I think that was Petra.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
Homer of Kittens

I don't like the title, I don't like the animation of the trailer, I don't like the fact that the text fades, I don't like the music of the trailer, I don't like how the game sounds, I don't like the website. I hate the game already*

Spoiler:
*I was being sarcastic. I can't wait for the game to be released

Firefox rules
Old 12-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #13

I am looking forward to this title and I'm not too worried, except for that "painful and bitter conclusion" the press release talks about.
I like the idea of new characters but there HAS to be some humor in the game. A painful conclusion would be terribly out of place....
Domenico
Old 12-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #14
Staff Member

Wow, they really gave things away with that "trailer". Don't watch it, BS fans, it's full of plot spoilers and shows every location in the game!

They have got to change the title. People will think "Angel of Darkness" = crap :. this = crap.

I sort of have confidence in them not to cock it up, given how good (albeit flawed) BS3 was. But so far, it looks like they said to themselves;

"Well, the last one didn't sell, but apart from the box puzzles and the length, people loved it. What can we do?"

"Uh... take out the box puzzles..."

"We can't really have that as a main selling, point, can we"

"Uh... grittiness! Indigo Prophecy sold well! And look, everyone is doing it; Sam Fisher, Prince of Persia. Mario will be packing uzis next!"

"Fine. We'll up the "maturity" a bit (i.e. chuck in some gratuitous graphic violence and moody lighting; screw romantic Paris, we'll go with NY), and we'll take out one of the main characters, cos she's not gritty enough, and replace her with some generic mystery woman. And to counteract any added realism, we'll have our usual crazy s**t going on, but we'll add lots more cliches! Everyone's happy!"

Seems pretty blatant to me that they are trying to remain true to their principles but sell to the casual gamers on an image ticket. I was suprised, though, to find the word "adventure game" actually used in the trailer. I hope they pull it off. Go Revolution!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'll reserve my judgement until there's some in-game footage and such.

Do I take it that Sumo Digital (who I believe worked on the console versions of The Sleeping Dragon) are the guys handling the outsourced development?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #16

I shan't be so hasty as to dismiss this game right away.
It is true that the story may sound a bit cliché, but the other games didn't have the most original storyline either. Let us face the truth, the Broken Sword series is far from being original. However, I am of the conviction that it was not the storyline that made Broken Sword such a great game, rather the characters and the unique settings made it so. it was always a joy to meet a new character and perhaps meet up with an old character later on in the game (or series) the same goes for the locations featured in the games.

Let us not be too hasty in jumping to overly-pessimistic views.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #17

Might not be for you , but it is really hard to find good narrative and fiction involving Templars, i am talking about BS 1 particularly.I didnt liked 2 and 3.
BS1 however still my favourite,specially because of story.
The time when BS1 hit the market ,there were hardly any games like that .Very very sad to find nothing of that caliber nowadays.BS1 still shines,the script and plot is unmatchable.
However BS2 and 3 were not original in stroyline.

On trailer thingy , the words "Ready for sacrifice?" and "Bitter ending", is giving me an idea that George will die in the end.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #18
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul
On trailer thingy , the words "Ready for sacrifice?" and "Bitter ending", is giving me an idea that George will die in the end.
Nah, George will have to choose between his new woman and the fate of the world; or he'll have to become a guardian for 10,000 years to preserve the balance (This poster would like to apologies for inaccuracies in the preceding joke. It was a long time since he played it, OK?)

They won't have George die, because that would ruin the possibility of yet more sequels.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #19
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy
They have got to change the title. People will think "Angel of Darkness" = crap :. this = crap.
The first thing that came in to my mind about the title was exactly TR:Angel of Darkness.

But not necessarily that AoD = crap, this = crap.

The name is bad, but a bad name on a game doesn't automaticly make it a bad game.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #20
Adventure Game Veteran

whatever happens in this game i'm not bothered as long as it is a great gameplay experience as my first adventure games i got were broken sword 1 and 2