You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Syberia, make it a motion picture please!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #1

Default Syberia, make it a motion picture please!

Now that DOOM has been put into a motion picture, it proves that a good plat even is for a computer video game is worth investing. Given Syberia is such a great story why not put it together as a motion picture?

I do wish they will do that.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Son
Now that DOOM has been put into a motion picture, it proves that a good plat even is for a computer video game is worth investing. Given Syberia is such a great story why not put it together as a motion picture?

I do wish they will do that.

Can't believe you mentioned the words Doom and good plot in the same sentence. LOL

Syberia isn't that great a story and wouldn't make for a good film. Doom relys on the action/violence to make a blockbuster style movie so things like a story don't matter.

Syberia wouldn't get away with that it would need to be a decent characer study with some kind of point to the film. Which Syberia clearly isn't.

It might make an ok game, but as a movie it would suck. 2 hours of "It's Stuck"
Old 10-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Super Moderator

And dramatic scenes with Kate walking out of the shot, only to stop and say..... "No need to go down there!"
Old 10-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
And dramatic scenes with Kate walking out of the shot, only to stop and say..... "No need to go down there!"
In the movie, they could give her an Uzi and she could just blast the door open.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:27 AM   #5

Lucien21, I strongly disagree with you. I think the first one might make a great film. It is a long journey following the scars that the 20th century left over Europe, with scarred locations and scarred characters, which have a strong tragic potential (think of the guard in Barrockstadt, of the factory director in Komkolzgrad). And, parallel to that journey is Hans' journey, that of a man passing through those historical events with his very particular point of view (strongly reminiscent of Gunther Grass' Tin Drum, which, incidentally, made a wonderful movie). And then you have a third thread intertwined with those, the journey of Kate and Oscar, discovering both the tragedies of the past and yet being conquered by Hans' crazily beautiful dream.

If Kate and Oscar were well handled, the puzzles and useless characters removed (to put all the emphasis on those three parallel threads), with gorgeous and dreamy settings, I feel it would make a great movie, much better than the game. It may not become a blockbuster, but I'm sure a talented director (and script-writer) could make it quite successful.

The second one is another kettle of fish, though...
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Doom movie got bad / extremely average reviews anyway. But A Space Quest movie would be something funny.

We need more comedy in this world of sorrow.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It's all down to money. Syberia isn't a well-known enough franchise to easily sell as a film.

And given the lack of interaction, haven't we all been watching a "film" anyway?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #8
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
And given the lack of interaction, haven't we all been watching a "film" anyway?

Haha, good one.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Fulci lives

Klaus Kinski should have played Hans in the Syberia!
Look, it´s the spitting image!
(too bad he´s dead)
Old 10-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #10
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Maybe what many people don't get is that videogame language - as it happens with books - is very different from films, and if you don't believe me watch "Wing Commander". There are many things that work in an "Interactive Movie" (very old-fashioned term, but let me use it) that could not work in a motion picture, because a game gives you rewards to keep you playing, but a film just distracts, moves, always keeps you interested playing with your attention in another way.

And well, let's say it: Syberia has a great emotional power which explodes at the end of the game, but until then it is just a following of clichés which the player, us, forgive for the already mentioned "rewards". If you do this in a movie, it will drag the narrative disastrously.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Lucien21, I strongly disagree with you. I think the first one might make a great film.
Think I will strongly disagree with you. The first part of the movie, the plundering of Europe during and after WWII, can be seen daily on the History Channel. The second part, i.e., Hans' efforts to rebuild, aka the Marshall Plan, can also be seen on same. Kate's search for redemption via a search for Hans is seen in virtually every "good" WWII movie. Casablanca comes to mind.

Repackaging as a Syberia movie is "straight to video" at best.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #12
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson
Maybe what many people don't get is that videogame language - as it happens with books - is very different from films, and if you don't believe me watch "Wing Commander". There are many things that work in an "Interactive Movie" (very old-fashioned term, but let me use it) that could not work in a motion picture, because a game gives you rewards to keep you playing, but a film just distracts, moves, always keeps you interested playing with your attention in another way.

And well, let's say it: Syberia has a great emotional power which explodes at the end of the game, but until then it is just a following of clichés which the player, us, forgive for the already mentioned "rewards". If you do this in a movie, it will drag the narrative disastrously.
Well, the Wing Commander movie went too far away from the game, IMO. The Kilrathi, for example, look plain bad. I didn't really like the ships and fighters either. I also wish they used the excellent cast that was starring in the game, instead of these young 'future talents'. A missed opportunity for Chris Roberts.

--Erwin
Old 10-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #13

I enjoy simple FPS games in multiplayer (only) but I got to say adventure games and the like are the first ones really deserving movies. I can't even start listing games I'd like to see in film. It's actually all adventure games I liked. Some I didn't like playing may be better on screen as well.

But If I had to make name a few, the Gabriel Knights, Deus Ex, and The Longest Journey would be the first.

And yea, the Syberias would be great too.

all those though prolly need big budgets to look decent.

and also 3-4 hours of foutage or a trilogy each.

bah.. maybe playing them it's better.

Last edited by fateswarm; 10-30-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 AM   #14

I just finifhsed the game early this morning, at around 7:00 am. In all honesty, I used the walkthrough. Without the walkthrough, I won't be able to complete it in 10 hours.

It has all the conditions to be made as a movie. It is a fantastic arrangement, in terms of music, voice acting, and the entire story. It also seems to me that the author paved the way for a sequel.

I will embark onto Syberia II soon. I hope there will be some more innovative truely adventure game. Remeber what Hans said to Kate, something like, 'don't you like adventure'. It's one of the best conversation in the game, as if Hans is asking the player (i.e. we) if we like adventure? If so, let's get on to the train! Very warm, in a way it is educational as well.

There are many still unanswered, Does Dan and Olivia go together? And what happens to everyone who respect Han's and his intellectual calibre.

The next one needs not to be Syberia III, anything as innovative and above all imaginative and peaceful as Syberia will do nicely. Maybe we will have to wait for some years..
Old 11-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #15
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck

DOOM was the most pathetic excuse for a Game Film I've ever seen.

The Game:

1. Doom Space marine, fighting alone against the minions of hell on the planet mars. Eventually travelling to hell itself to take out "not monsters", but pretty scary realistic mean hell demons (goat heads, hexagrams, dim lit candles, screams in the dark, ripped up rabbit heads and more)

The Movie

2. A complex on Mars created a 24th Chromosone that makes the reciever either superhuman or supermonster. When the game turns sour, the Rock (Sarge - which is a name from Quake, not Doom ) is called in with his leauge of roughnecks (Basically like Arnold's group in Predator), to take down the problem. The film basically is Resident Evil 3, the Rock should have been part of the Umbrella Coorporation, and there was no sign of Hell at all. Pinky wasn't Pinky, the reference to Dr. Carmack (Due to John Carmack) designing the game was "ok", and the only weapons you saw in the movie that were from the game was the BFG and the Chainsaw.

I laffed as I walked outa nd the cheap 3d graphics ran through the credits. Should have used at least real doom gameplay from the 1st game.
www.josephgoss.com
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 PM   #16

Splinter Cell is coming too. Splinter Cell movied is cool actually. Looks like many film publishers are realizing the shall we say potential of using game's plot for making movies.

Ironically, Steven Spielberg is jumping into the game industry. He is currently making 3 titles and the publisher is EA.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #17

I think a movie based on Syberia would be great. It wouldn't have as wide an appeal as a generic Hollywood title, but I think it would do well with others. It definitely has the potential to be a thoughtful film. Part Indian Jones and part, um, some slow and introspective movie.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 PM   #18
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

On top of my list of games that need be movies...Broken Sword is on the top of my list. It has mysterious, suspense, action, and a twisty story. Exactly what a movie calls for.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #19
Citizen of Bizarro World

My brother had a similar suggestion after watching Polar Express (an extremely dumb movie, btw)--which it's also about a train, and involves beautifuly rendered CG characters, just like Syberia does. He thought they should've spent all that money and talent on a Syberia movie. Which would've been only slightly more enjoyable, I think.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-22-2005, 07:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Lucien21, I strongly disagree with you. I think the first one might make a great film. It is a long journey following the scars that the 20th century left over Europe, with scarred locations and scarred characters, which have a strong tragic potential (think of the guard in Barrockstadt, of the factory director in Komkolzgrad). And, parallel to that journey is Hans' journey, that of a man passing through those historical events with his very particular point of view (strongly reminiscent of Gunther Grass' Tin Drum, which, incidentally, made a wonderful movie). And then you have a third thread intertwined with those, the journey of Kate and Oscar, discovering both the tragedies of the past and yet being conquered by Hans' crazily beautiful dream.
Sounds very nice.