You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bone Review in Local Paper

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 03:41 AM   #1
Coming Soon

Send a message via Yahoo to kwbridge
Default Bone Review in Local Paper

We have a free paper in Philly called the Philadelphia Weekly. Yesterday's issue had a review of Bone. I was shocked when I saw it - I've never seen a game review in this paper before and I didn't know there was anyone else in this city who liked adventure games.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:12 AM   #2

Interesting. Not a bad review considering it has to be fit into a newspaper and can't go into too much detail.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I anticipated the methodical exploration that has come to define the genre, exploiting every detail and using every clue, only there weren't many.
He apparently hasn't played an adventure game since Grim Fandango.

Very cool to see a review like that in a mainstream publication. I wonder if the author reads AG.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Banned User

I'm just glad they realized the game was sheight. Hate to say I told you so but....
Old 09-29-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Knights Templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I'm just glad they realized the game was sheight. Hate to say I told you so but....
Its not shite, its just got a few issues. The general presentation and gameplay is superb, its just too easy and linear.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:14 AM   #6
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Congratulations, you're now officially the most arrogant person on the forum. And where exactly does the article actually say that the game is "sheight".

At least this reviewer actually bothers to give a fair, honest critique of the game, something you're obviously incapable of doing since you had already decided you hated it months before it was even released, making under-handed negative comments about it at every opportunity.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Congratulations, you're now officially the most arrogant person on the forum. And where exactly does the article actually say that the game is "sheight".

At least this reviewer actually bothers to give a fair, honest critique of the game, something you're obviously incapable of doing since you had already decided you hated it months before it was even released, making under-handed negative comments about it at every opportunity.
Hell yes!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:

I think this is one of Temp's most endearing qualities. But it's a good thing there's only one of him around here.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
Banned User

People get so upset just because somebody has a different opinion from their own.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
SamNMax

God damn. Calm down, spazs. Too many homies lookin' to cut eachother's throats.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
SamNMax

Quote:
Congratulations, you're now officially the most arrogant person on the forum.
No. That title's taken and I'll be damned if I'm going to let him have it.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Let's leave the forumite commentary for Chit Chat and keep this thread about the Bone review.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:45 PM   #13
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
People get so upset just because somebody has a different opinion from their own.
It's not your opinion that upsets me, just the manner in which you choose to express it.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:49 PM   #14
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Yeah I disagree with you about Bone, but that's got nothing to do with the fact that you're being a huge tard about it.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-29-2005, 10:58 PM   #15
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Yeah I disagree with you about Bone, but that's got nothing to do with the fact that you're being a huge tard about it.
Aw, you're breaking my heart.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #16
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Old 09-30-2005, 06:26 AM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Let's leave the forumite commentary for Chit Chat and keep this thread about the Bone review.
Just to prove someone's listening, I'll comment on the article. I thought it was rather poor, actually. He admits that Telltale has clearly targeted a different audience, but then moans that it failed to live up to his LucasArtsian expectations. Tricky things, expectations.

That's a little like like saying that Gilbert and Grossman forgot how to make good adventures because Pajama Sam wasn't like DOTT (names chosen semi-randomly). Not that Bone is a kids' game, but the idea is similar. Different games, different audience, different goals.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:31 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Here's a review from the Marin Independent Journal. (Marin is the county in California where Telltale is based.) I haven't seen the paper but I assume the article was printed, as well as being available on their website.

Even if the reviews are only lukewarm, I'm thrilled to see Telltale getting this kind of mainstream attention.

EDIT: And here's another one from an independent newspaper in Florida.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #19
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Even if the reviews are only lukewarm, I'm thrilled to see Telltale getting this kind of mainstream attention.
I wonder if that's because of the popular Bone license, or the fact that they're ex-LucasArts employees talking to Steve Purcell. Or both.

--Erwin
Old 10-01-2005, 01:36 AM   #20

Bone gets a mention in today's http://www.penny-arcade.com news, as does Adventuregamers.com (with a link to their Bone preview).

Nice going.