You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bone is said to be available!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #241

Now I'm confused. Wait, let's clarify: Richard isn't writing a review. As far as I know, he's lounging at home. As far as I'm concerned, I'm lounging at home; but with a copy of Bone to review for the 19th.

Aditionally, is it possible to post signatures on these ere forums? I have a beautiful one to bestow on you all.

Oh, Richard, get me a deal with PC Gamer won't ya. Since I'm but a wee 15 you can tell Mark Donald that they can keep my place until 2008. I should be ready then.

Oh, I wish, lol.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #242
Citizen of Bizarro World

Erm, sorry. I was answering Juanxo's post, but Audiosoldier got there first. I've added Juanxo's post in quotes, I hope that clarifies things...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #243

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
Aditionally, is it possible to post signatures on these ere forums?
Sadly no. It's one of the downsides to this board.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #244
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:

Aditionally, is it possible to post signatures on these ere forums? I have a beautiful one to bestow on you all.
It ain't, but you could include it in your post by linking to it via the image tags.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #245

Quote:
Now I'm confused. Wait, let's clarify: Richard isn't writing a review. As far as I know, he's lounging at home.
Laptop folded open on knees, large glass of Ribena to the right, Wednesday's episode of Lost on the TV. I make no promises of anything I type being in coherent English right now, never mind insightful walrus umbrella fjords.

Quote:
Oh, Richard, get me a deal with PC Gamer won't ya. Since I'm but a wee 15 you can tell Mark Donald that they can keep my place until 2008. I should be ready then.
Heh. Rule 1: Write as much as you can now. Practice whenever you can. Later, approach magazines professionally and get yourself on the books as a freelancer/apply for Staff Writer positions that become available. It's really not as hard as people think - 90% of your competition are the folks who say 'Man, I'd really like to do that', but never so much as put pen to paper, never mind submit a CV.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Laptop folded open on knees, large glass of Ribena to the right, Wednesday's episode of Lost on the TV. I make no promises of anything I type being in coherent English right now, never mind insightful walrus umbrella fjords.

Heh. Rule 1: Write as much as you can now. Practice whenever you can. Later, approach magazines professionally and get yourself on the books as a freelancer/apply for Staff Writer positions that become available. It's really not as hard as people think - 90% of your competition are the folks who say 'Man, I'd really like to do that', but never so much as put pen to paper, never mind submit a CV.
They wouldn't consider hiring someone who is younger than 18, though; correct? I'd kill to mingle with the likes of Gillen, Sutherns and co. There's always PC Zone too....lol.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #247

Quote:
They wouldn't consider hiring someone who is younger than 18, though; correct?
I doubt it very much. Although you never know, if you can hook them on something, there's always a chance. But to be honest, I'd take the time you've got now to make as many mistakes as you can now, and get them out of your system. That's not intended to be in any way insulting - all I mean is that almost everyone starts off needing major, major practice, and it's better to get it offline where you can make those mistakes, before pushing upwards to paid print work.

Quote:
I'd kill to mingle with the likes of Gillen, Sutherns and co. There's always PC Zone too....lol.
Well, Kieron's a freelancer and Mark now works for Creative Assembly.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:25 PM   #248
Citizen of Bizarro World

As far as writing credentials, I don't think "lol" goes over with magazine editors too well.

Gotta! be! more! professional!
<--AudioSoldier

Old 09-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #249

Quote:
I doubt it.

Well, Kieron's a freelancer and Mark now works for Creative Assembly.

Well, thanks to my poor global positionment (Aka, South Africa) I haven't had the oppertunity of keeping up to date with the latest PC Gamer's, although I did read an interview by Gillen on Eurogamer with Mark Sutherns of CA. I nearly toppled over in surprise. I couldn't believe it.

But, subsequently, I promptly forgot, lol.

Incidentally, I was going to ask before your post, how many of the team are freelancers? And I recognize that this thread is spiralling off-topic, but it's for a good cause.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
As far as writing credentials, I don't think "lol" goes over with magazine editors too well.

<--AudioSoldier
I've made it into someone's signature! Sheesh, talk about making an impression. Excuse my rabid use of "lol", it's indicative of my hyperactive state. I'm excited, you see.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #251

Quote:

<--AudioSoldier
Well, if we were worried about professionalism on this thread, some people would lose their job.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #252

Quote:
Incidentally, I was going to ask before your post, how many of the team are freelancers? And I recognize that this thread is spiralling off-topic, but it's for a good cause.
Couldn't tell you exactly, I don't have a mag to hand. Generally, if you look at the flannel panel (the credits bit, I think Gamer puts it at the front), anyone marked down as a Contributor rather than having an actual staff role is a freelancer. But it varies. A lot of us work for Future and contribute in our own time, others are full time freelancers, or do other jobs as well as writing. I'm Features Editor on PC Plus during the day, only donning my spandex by night to fight crime and review games.

But this really is moving away from the point of the thread, so I think I'll cut it off there.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:33 PM   #253

Ahem, I'll get back to Bone swiftly. Well, in the next few hours. I really do work best by night.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #254
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
I've made it into someone's signature! Sheesh, talk about making an impression. Excuse my rabid use of "lol", it's indicative of my hyperactive state. I'm excited, you see.
That's not my sig though. Let's see yours?

Old 09-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #255
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
But this really is moving away from the point of the thread, so I think I'll cut it off there.
Thanks.

So, about Bone...
Old 09-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #256
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Ahem, I'll get back to Bone swiftly. Well, in the next few hours. I really do work best by night.
Dude, you've gotta play the game in the dark with the speakers all the way up! It's freaking terrifyng!

Old 09-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #257

Quote:
That's not my sig though. Let's see yours?
My bad.

Erm, in an effort to make this blatantly spam-filled series of posts seem non-spammy, I'll add that Bone's environments lack a certain element of "detail". Any comments?

To clarify: By detail, I mean that many of the areas are rather sparsely populated. They seem a tad bland. I'm not sure if this is to keep in line with the Bone comics, but it's less than appealing.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #258
Citizen of Bizarro World

That's so you'd be all the more surprised when rat creatures pounce on you out from nowhere!

Old 09-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #259

Quote:
That's so you'd be all the more surprised when rat creatures pounce on you out from nowhere!
That shifty look is unsettling. I look forward to my confrontation with the rat creatures. Honestly, I'm so savouring the moment that I can't bring myself to actually play the game. Do any of you ever get this? I think it's a problem with loving writing so very much.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #260
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Honestly, I'm so savouring the moment that I can't bring myself to actually play the game. Do any of you ever get this?
As a matter of fact, yes. It's one of the reasons why I haven't played The Longest Journey yet, and why I have a huge stack of games just waiting for me.

But I won't let it stop me from playing Bone. In fact, I'm going to play it tonight, since I just managed to get the full version to unlock.