You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Your Favourite Underdogs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #21
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

I haven't finished The Riddle of Master Lu because it has problems running under Win98.. Therefore I can't really say if it is an underestimated gem ot not..

The game I AM sure that deserves that title the most is Toonstruck. Funny story, "as easy as they can get" controls, superb graphics and excellent music. To me it is a complete mystery how a game like this could cause it's company(Burst) to close and it's giant distributor (Virgin) to experience major financial problems for a while.. I mean, what were the gamers thinking???

Discworld:Noir was also terrific and , I think, underestimated and probably the two Manhunters from the older games. Rather unknown for Sierra games I'd say.

Can't think of any others at the moment but I'm pretty sure there are a few more out there..
Old 11-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #22
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Oh oh.. I did it again . Can't seem to get a decent post in this forum.. Sorry guys but this time there was no harm intended.. Guess it's beginner's (bad) luck..
Old 11-24-2003, 02:44 PM   #23
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I've always liked Normality even though a lot of people don't find it that funny, but I did.

Teen Agent is still one of the funniest games I've played.

JB Harold in: Murder Club is almost impossible to find, but well worth the search because it's the best mystery game I've played. PLAY THIS ONE IF YOU CAN!

The Scoop is also an excellent mystery game that's widely unknown, which is a shame. One of the best storyline's I've seen in a game.

Gold Rush is an old Sierra game a lot of people haven't played, which is too bad because it's really fun.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 11-24-2003, 07:31 PM   #24
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I guess I'll second Texallos and say Manhunter. I've never played San Francisco, the second game, but I did enjoy New York back in the day. Certainly not an amazingly great game, but it was fun and it does seem rather an underdog.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-24-2003, 08:14 PM   #25

The Dark Eye is by far the best "underdog" game that I have played. Absolutely incredible.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
I don't think Black Dahlia can really be considered an underdog. It is quite famous and makes many sites' "All Time Greats" list.
Well...ok, it's not really an underdog but from a little research i did the reviews were disappointing and i rarely see it be mentioned here. Anyway the point was that is a very underrated adventure.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:55 PM   #27

Oh, Riddle of Master Lu and Eternam were terrific, and Toonstruck was really good too, but to me the best underdogs of all time are Legend's games. Some of them I put in my top five of adventure games, namely Gateway 2 : Homeworld and Death Gate
But every single one of them is a gem, Gateway, Eric the Unready, Shannara, Mission Critical, ...
I'd say those were the time, and try to sound nostalgic, but back then I went through all gaming stores in France and even in San Francisco when I went there, but couldn't find Death Gate. I only played it last year, but it was worth waiting 7 or so damned years.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:23 AM   #28
Jumping peanut on a stick

Duckman, The Gene Machine and Peppers Adventures in Time
Old 11-25-2003, 02:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor
Duckman, The Gene Machine and Peppers Adventures in Time
The Gene Machine? It wasn't THAT bad, and I guess it's an underdog, but... is it really one of your favorite?
Old 11-25-2003, 02:24 AM   #30

Dog Day, from Impact. Not extraordinary, but very amusing. Can't believe I'd almost forgotten it.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:53 AM   #31
Banned User

And I can't believe I'd forgotten both Gateway and Gateway 2. Fantastic games, both. If you haven't played them, hie thee over to HotU and download them NOW!
Old 11-25-2003, 03:21 AM   #32

Quote:
And I can't believe I'd forgotten both Gateway and Gateway 2. Fantastic games, both. If you haven't played them, hie thee over to HotU and download them NOW!

I thought you guys were not in favour of Abandonware.

Anyways,Lemme add

Darkseed by Inscape
The Gene Machine by Vic Tokai
Hopkins FBI by MP Entertainment

Old 11-25-2003, 03:24 AM   #33
Banned User

Beware the hasty generalization, Mycroft.

That being said, you won't find (as a rule) direct links to abaondonware sites in this forum.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Amen to that.

Gateway 2 is currently struggling against indy 4 for my personal best-adventure-ever award.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:27 AM   #35
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
I thought you guys were not in favour of Abandonware.
I can't agree that HotU is an abandonware site. I mean, they have really strict policies about which games to make available to download. Just show me a store where I can buy - put almost any underdog mentioned above here - not to mention 1980's Infocom masterpieces and I'll go get it legally (it can be a budget release if you wish, or a bonus version sold with a magazine).

Generally, I'm definitely against piracy (well, with an exception of Monkey Island pirates )

As for the main topic of this thread, I'd forgotten about Prisoner of Ice. Not a masterpiece by any means (much too short, for one thing) but the game had that something...
Old 11-25-2003, 08:08 AM   #36

Send a message via AIM to Hiro Protagonist

I am fanatical about piracy - especially after programming for the graphics industry only to see some of my work online only hours after its release. But if a product is no longer supported by the publisher and is languishing away, then I say fair game - no pun intended. Were it not for HOTU, there would be many classics that I never got a chance to play - including BASS - because I just couldn't find a copy anywhere. And to be fair, HOTU is happy to pull any game that gets a complaint from a publisher and will post a link to purchase the game if/when it becomes available again.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:47 AM   #37
Nothing special

Off the top of my head, some of my underrated favorites are...

Redjack
Dark Earth
The Space Bar
Journeyman Project 3

I'm sure I could think of more.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:05 AM   #38
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Cruise for a Corpse and Operation Stealth.
Great choices !

Delphine Software was doing great adventure games at that time and those two were definitively fascinating and engrossing .

Maupiti Island is definitively a fabulous detective mystery 's game and probably my greatest adventure of all time .
Old 12-11-2003, 01:38 AM   #39
(Va-yoosh)

Teenagent
Probably the best polish - not just classic - computer game ever made. A true gem sparkling with wit.

Ksiaze&Tchorz (from polish: The Prince & The Coward) aka Galador
Another fine adventure game - a combination of light humor with light fantasy. Unfortunettly it was never given the chance it deserved as it's only available in polish and german.

Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth truly bizzare game with outstanding performance by title hero - Woodruff. Both wacky and humane game. Strange mixture but it tastes great. Some call it Goblins 4 - it's made by Cocktel Vision (it's their last game) but it's very confusing... This game really stands on it's own merits.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:51 AM   #40

Dark Earth most certainly is one of the most underestimated games of all times in all genres, but I don't consider it an adventure, so my vote goes to Conquest of the Longbow, a beautiful adventure many fans have never played (I believe).