You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sierra quest compilations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 05:34 AM   #1

Default Sierra quest compilations

According to amazon.com Vivendi will be releasing king's and other quest compilations on 11/10/2005. Anybody heard anything about this? What games will they be rereleasing? Timing would be great as I'm experiencing an adventure revival at the moment.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If this is true (and Amazon.com are indeed listing the King's Quest, Space Quest and Police Quest collections), then this is good news.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:37 AM   #3
Epinionated.

Wow, really? COOL! SQ's are SO mine.

AG's are getting a revival through new tech like the Nintendo DS plus interest through new exciting games. Wahey!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by giga
According to amazon.com Vivendi will be releasing king's and other quest compilations on 11/10/2005.
Can you provide a link? I searched King's Quest on Amazon but all I'm finding are the old collections.

EDIT: Never mind, I found them. And that date is October 11, not November 10. (Not implying you got it wrong, I was just confused because in the US we put the month first.)

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYFPKG//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Quest[/url]

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYH89M//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Quest[/url]

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYIP8A//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Suit Larry[/url]

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYFPKQ//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Quest[/url]

The platform listed for all of them is WinXP. I'm very interested to see what happens with this. It seems too perfect, but then again, having the "new item" pages in there like this seems like too much info to be a fluke.

Last edited by fov; 08-26-2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 AM   #5

And the platform is listed as windows XP. I'm guessing that they are twicking the games so that they will be XP playable right out of the box. This is indeed fantastic news. I wonder if they will be adding some goodies, like the making of videos, interviews with RW and JJ etc.

My only worry is whether Vivendy will try to put a stop to various fan projects. I can easily see them trying to kill the fan projects. I hope not.

Edit: Damn. fovily edited her post while I was typing mine! BTW, Em, I finally got to play KG 6 and you weren't lying about it. It's easily one of the best Sierra AGs that I have ever played. Now, I can proudly call myself a Sierra junkie.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
My only worry is whether Vivendy will try to put a stop to various fan projects. I can easily see them trying to kill the fan projects. I hope not.
Vivendi and AGDI have an agreement that allows AGDI to remake their games, actually. Wouldn't it be neat if AGDI's KQ1 and KQ2 were included in the collection?! (Unlikely, but hey, so is the rerelease of these collections...)

Interesting Quest for Glory isn't represented. It's been in collections just as much as the others, and I'd think as an RPG there would be more of a market for it than the strict AGs.

If this does happen, and it's not some cruel joke, I hope I never see another person justifying the illegal download of these games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Edit: Damn. fovily edited her post while I was typing mine! BTW, Em, I finally got to play KG 6 and you weren't lying about it. It's easily one of the best Sierra AGs that I have ever played. Now, I can proudly call myself a Sierra junkie.
Woo! Yes, very good game. I'm excited to play it again but I still have to get through replays of 2-5 first. But in case no one's looking at the front page... King's Quest I review.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:30 AM   #7

I'm very interested in LSL6, and hopefully they'll add LSL7 in the compilation too. I already have the original SQ, LSL, KQ and LSL collection, but if they're all XP compatible I will definately get them again.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:35 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

It's a sweet price point, too. I have all the collections except Space Quest, but at that price I'd buy them all anyway.

(Sorry I keep posting to this thread. Just excited. I'll sit on my hands now.)
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I already have the KQ and SQ collections, but would grab the Police Quest and possible even the LSL collections if the prices is good and I can get them in the UK without paying hefty import fees.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 AM   #10

I'm buying every single one, if they have been retooled to work in XP. I'm sick of having to jump through hoops to play some of my favorite games.

I'm just curious as to what versions of the games they'd use in the collection, like will KQ6 be the DOS version or the Windows version with the high-res dialog pictures?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:14 AM   #11
Least used avatar ever

Awesome news. Hopefully they'll re-release the Gabriel Knight collection as well, in XP-compatible form.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #12
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I hope they have plans to release these in the uk, amazon.co.uk doest have them listed
Ive yet to play any of the sierra games..except for one of thge KQ games, cant remember the number but it had that twinkly eye guy in it
Old 08-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Ive yet to play any of the sierra games..except for one of thge KQ games, cant remember the number but it had that twinkly eye guy in it
That's King's Quest 6.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #14

I'm sorry for being a killjoy, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high if I were you.

Look at what the ScummVM team has done: they've been able to get games such as the first two Broken Sword games to work, using the games' source code; still, it has taken them several months to get them fully working, and they already had all the back-end work done (e.g. communicating with Windows, sound emulation, graphic filters, etc.). Now, those were two games. Think about what all the Sierra games represent. Of course, they all (after KQ4) used more or less the same interpreter (SCI), but SCI is thought to be a rather messy thing (which is partly the cause for the many bugs in Sierra games), and almost each game used its own particular version.

So, of course it's possible, and the people at FreeSCI have started doing it (without access to the sources). But it would require a small dedicated team to work on it for several months. Now, how many copies can they expect to sell? A few thousands at most? At $19.99 each? I think you can do the maths yourselves and guess how much that would interest VU.

The best (cheap) thing they could do is bundle the games with Newrisingsun's patches and a pre-configured DOSBox for each (though of course you can get the information you need to do that for free on the Internet). Anything else would probably be a rip-off, since all DOS things (and that includes VDMSound, btw) will stop working in Windows Vista. Well, I guess it can be interesting for those who still don't have the games and have refrained from downloading them.

But of course, that's just the pessimist on me talking. Maybe of couple of VU programmers have worked on that in their spare time and made nice XP versions of the games. Although I certainly wouldn't need them, I'd probably buy them as a way of saying "thanks for caring about those classics". Well, I guess dreaming can't hurt...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Killjoy.

I suspect, if these are rereleased, they'll say "WinXP" on them but won't necessarily work on WinXP, which could create a lot of problems.

I sent an email to Vivendi to try to get more information.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:51 PM   #16

Getting the chance to play Space Quest 5 again, my personal fave of the series, would be well worth it.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #17
Hello

I got a space quest and kings quest and a quest for glory, collention things years and years ago. i wonder if these are the same things.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
The best (cheap) thing they could do is bundle the games with Newrisingsun's patches
What are Newrisingsun's patches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
and a pre-configured DOSBox for each (though of course you can get the information you need to do that for free on the Internet). Anything else would probably be a rip-off, since all DOS things (and that includes VDMSound, btw) will stop working in Windows Vista.
What do you mean by Windows Vista?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:47 AM   #19

Default what about GK

will Sierra release the GK-series also? I sure hope so, it has been so long, I can't remember what Gracie and Gabriel looked like in the first game.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:56 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
What do you mean by Windows Vista?
The new version of Windows, previously known as Longhorn.