You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Archived Developer Chats Sherlock Holmes Developer Chat What adventure games have inspired you while working on the new Sherlock Holmes game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 06:58 AM   #1
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger
Default What adventure games have inspired you while working on the new Sherlock Holmes game?

Hi Frogwares people, thanks for this unique chance to ask you questions

My question is probably quite standard fair, but what Adventure games have you played that have helped inspire you in making Sherlock Holmes and the Silver Earing? And are there any developers from whom you've drawn inspiration too? (Either makers of adventuregames or generally?) Or does most of the inspiration for the game come from elsewhere, other genres for example or other parts of life?
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
Hi Frogwares people, thanks for this unique chance to ask you questions

My question is probably quite standard fair, but what Adventure games have you played that have helped inspire you in making Sherlock Holmes and the Silver Earing? And are there any developers from whom you've drawn inspiration too? (Either makers of adventuregames or generally?) Or does most of the inspiration for the game come from elsewhere, other genres for example or other parts of life?

In the creation of a game, there are different basic point :

the technology and the minimum requirements, in the today case, based on three years old standards (some players still have win98, yes 98) means no big processors, no big video card, added that we meet people, third person is the best choice we can do.

the story: we didn't wrote it and what I liked in this one is that there is as much difference of deepness with the silver earring and some other games as between "21 grams" and "cold mountain". it made me believe that we can create some unexpected motions in a traditional adventure game.

the gameplay is based on the story and Sherlock Holmes way of investigation, it is not revolutionnary but more adapted to the investigation, than the investigation is adapted to the gameplay (yes it happens).

Syberia was excellent to define new standards of graphics quality and story telling, spite I think we have no real relation with this game.