You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Okay, this looks like the old mansion...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 PM   #1
SamNMax

Default Okay, this looks like the old mansion...

I think most of us are aware that Maniac Mansion is indeed, revolutionary. It was the game that made Lucasarts known for its adventure games and totally revolutionized the gaming industry. It introduced what would later become the hallmark for all of adventure gaming's interface. The SCUMM system. And it was so popular that it spawned a TV series by the same name that wasn't good.
This game was truly a classic back in '87 with its incredible graphics, unique control, and hilarious experience. But does it satisfy the gamers of '04?
Here's my review of Maniac Mansion.

Story: MM's story was just original and very funny back in the game's release. And that claim still holds up today.
Scientist Dr. Fred Edison has been taken control of by an evil meteor that crashed right near the Edison Family mansion. The meteor has ordered Dr. Fred to build a machine that sucks the brains out of teens.
Local high schooler Dave Miller has suspected that Dr. Fred has kidnapped his girlfriend Sandy and his going to use her on the “ZOM-B-MATIC”! So, Dave and two of his friends must sneak into the mansion to save Dave’s girlfriend!
The characters really help to make the story funny as well. Whether you’re it’s the sex crazy Nurse Edna, Weird Ed, Dead Cousin Ted, The two giant tentacles that roam the house, Dr. Fred, or the meteor, you’ll be laughing. Even the mansion itself makes the story wacky with its bizarre items or just the scenery.
Story gets a 9/10

Graphics: Maniac Mansions graphics were excellent… for the time. The characters looked great and the cloths they wore told you just what kind of person they were. All the backgrounds outside the mansion really helped the mood flick on. Especially the moon. Each room in the mansion had great color and had little details that you can’t help but admire. The rips on the wallpaper, the blood stains in the kitchen, and the real painting in the dining room (Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte) made the graphics fantastic.
I know that the graphics don’t look like much today, but it wouldn’t be fair if I judged the game by today’s standards.
Graphics get an 8/10

Sound/Music: It was really hard for me to rate the sound in this game. It's just some beeps and an alarm sound that's about it. I think every adventure game in '87 had this, though. I was just going to give the sound a 5/10, but, the theme music is catchy. Since the sound is a special case, it will not affect the games overall rating.
Sound get's a 6/10

Gameplay: This is the game that started it all. The game that started the soon to be hallmark for Lucasarts adventure games. This game started the SCUMM system. The SCUMM system is the simple point and click interface with the actions at the bottom of the screen we all know and love today. But back in those days, SCUMM was a bit complicated. You had to double click on everything and you had a few useless icons available.
As the game starts out, you have to choose between 2 of Dave's 6 friends. Each friend has there own special abilitys. Bernard can do all the technical stuff, Micheal can photograph,Wendy can write, but Jeff can't do anything. I found that pretty wierd. Like most early Lucasfilm games you can die. And if one of your party members die and he/she was carrying an important item... back to start. There are a lot of timed puzzles here, but most of them are fun.
Normally I'd give the gameplay a 7/10, but seeing SCUMM's historical importants, gameplay get's an 8/10

There's no doubt that this game is truly a classic, and a great one at that. The game has it's shortcomings, but this game is still a gem. I was thinking about giving the game a lower scor than what I'm giving it now, but I kept in mind the historical importants.
I give Maniac Mansion a

9.5/10

Last edited by SamNMax; 07-08-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'd most likely give the same score for the game as you.

Maniac Mansion is The classic adventure game.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Good review! Have you played the recent fan remake? If yes, how does it compare?

SamNMax, I sent you a PM yesterday... did you see it?

-emily
Old 07-08-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

While Maniac Mansion had an undeniably important effect on the evolution of the genre, it has dated extremely badly. Far worse than games like Monkey Island or DOTT. For that reason, and that reason alone, I'd feel hard pushed to give it above 5/10 in a modern review.

But a nice review, SamNMax, nonetheless...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Good review! Have you played the recent fan remake? If yes, how does it compare?

SamNMax, I sent you a PM yesterday... did you see it?

-emily
Thanks. Yeah. I got your PM, and I sent one back.

By the way, the fangame is just as good (if not better) as the original.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Does the fangame have the same dead end(s) as the original?

-emily
Old 07-08-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
SamNMax

I think so. I never had to restart when I played the fangame.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

My brief review of Maniac Mansion Deluxe, the recent remake, can be found here.