You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Barrow Hill and The Longest Journey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl
Default Barrow Hill and The Longest Journey

The Longest Journey is a slightly older game, but due to the rave reviews it got, I thought I'd try it out, now that it's "sequel", Dreamfall, has also been out for a bit now. For anyone who hasn't played this yet, it does live up to the hype. The graphics and scenery are great, with lots of characters. Everyone has their own unique personality, and you get quit a lot of chit-chat in this game with each person you encounter. There's also a good amount of humor in the game which I always enjoy. It was the perfect game for me to play, after finishing Keepsake.

This is a game where you can move along with the scenery. You meet a young girl named April Ryan who's living in a futuristic East Venice. She's left home, and living in a Border House, along with some other characters there, that give her info, or more "clues" on where to proceed in the story. She finds out as she goes along, after meeting a character named Cortez, that she's kind of "the chosen one" and unite the two worlds she encounters. Stark (Earth) and Arcadia (the magic realm) were split long ago, and "magical" elements are bleeding into Stark. It is a sign that The Balance is coming apart. She meets many more colorful characters on her journey, that give her clues, and more story, between both worlds.

April travels back and forth between Stark and Arcadia, where she learns more about the evil Vanguard, and those behind it. (they have a corporation on Stark, and are also on their own mission to control both worlds) She also learns the complete history of how Stark and Arcadia came to be, and why she is the one who needs to solve this great mystery. You meet many characters in both worlds, and of course, there are items to be found, and a few puzzles to solve. You will see a few "visions" here and there. There's a lot of walking around between places in Stark and Arcadia, but the wonderful backgrounds make it well worth it. The Longest Journey has a bit of a fantasy/sci-fi mix feel to it. I really enjoyed it, and recommend it if you haven't played it yet. I'm really looking forward to Dreamfall, after playing The Longest Journey.

Barrow Hill, is a very simple, and kind of short, spooky game. Some may not care for it, due to it's simplicity and shortness, but I'm not that terribly picky when it comes to adventure games, so it was good enough for me, personally. It could have been rated E for Everyone, instead of T for teen, because it's even "safe" enough for younger players. I'd say pre-teens would enjoy it as well.

You don't really run into anyone in this game except for one person. (you also "interact" with someone on the radio a bit eventually) You are driving along, listening to the local Barrow Hill radio broadcast, when your car breaks down. This is a point and click game, where you have to click on an area to move forward. Very basic game elements here. The scenery was dark, and spooky enough. You end up at a deserted service station (except for the one person you meet there who's gone mad and rambling).

You explore many areas, including the small motel near the service station. You eventually find out that there are some ruins in the area, and a local excavation is underway. However, something terrible happens after the dig starts, and people of Barrow Hill are now missing. Clearly, someone, or something, doesn't want anyone digging there. There's an ancient evil there, and you must find items, and figure out clues to put things together.

This isn't a terribly scary game. Just more "spooky". You'll hear some spooky sounds here and there as you explore and occasionally, it will feel like someone, or something is following you. There are journals and notes to read, as in any adventure game. Be sure to examine everything.

I enjoyed the game, even though I'm sure there are many more games, that are much scarier. It's a very simple game. My only complaint, was that it was too short. You're pretty much alone throughout the entire game. If you want a simple, shorter, spooky game to play on a weekend, this is a good game for that. I also recommend this for younger players, since it's a pretty easy game, and it's not going to give them nightmares, since the spooky element is more low key.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #2

Bear in mind that 'Venice' is not Venice, Italy - it's a district of a fictional city called Newport in North America.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivie View Post
Bear in mind that 'Venice' is not Venice, Italy - it's a district of a fictional city called Newport in North America.

You know, I was wondering about that. I honestly thought it was a futuristic Venice or something. Thanks for clarifying.