You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #1

Default Challenges Abound

Hey, Martin.

Momen of Silence is a game with such a large scope that I'm sure you faced many difficult challenges while developing it. Can you list some of the greater challenges you had to overcome to make Moment of Silence a reality?

Also, was having the experience of devleoping a game already in Mystery of Druids helpful in working on Moment of Silence? Or was the process to create Moment of Silence so entirely different that it posed a completely different set of challenges for you?

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #2

Hey!

Well, to be honest, the biggest challenge was to get the budget for this game. You can imagine that a game like MOTD doesn't bring you fame and fortune.

And generally, pitching an adventure game to publishers was a real struggle three years ago. It was like, well, talking with taxmen about poetry.

Having done a game before was of course extremly important. We learned a lot of lessons, and I will frankly admit that many of them were very basic lessons.

The only MOTD thing we used again when working on MOS was the workflow and overall team organization. All other things were thrown overboard and rewritten from scratch: Engine, dialogue engine, tools - everything.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
Well, to be honest, the biggest challenge was to get the budget for this game. You can imagine that a game like MOTD doesn't bring you fame and fortune.
Well, let's hope that MoS will bring you fame and fortune. If there's any fairness in this world, it will.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
Well, let's hope that MoS will bring you fame and fortune. If there's any fairness in this world, it will.
Well then, this must be the call to act for us german adventurers who have already played the game and repeat an imperative we've read over and over again in the HoT forums:

[shout] BUY - BUUUUUUY - BUUUUUUUUUUY! [/shout]

You won't regret it!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks for the response, Martin.

It's frustrating that the biggest huddle in creating adventure games continue to be securing development funding. I wish I were a eclectic billionaire with too much money to know what to do with. I'd be funding the adventure game developers so that they can concentrate on more important things like writing good stories and creating wonderful game play!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
The only MOTD thing we used again when working on MOS was the workflow and overall team organization. All other things were thrown overboard and rewritten from scratch: Engine, dialogue engine, tools - everything.
It seems to me to be an expensive habit to throw all things away everytime you start making a new game.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
It seems to me to be an expensive habit
It's more expensive to fail with things that don't work and aren't fixable.
Trust me on that one.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I certainly trust you on taht the MOTD engine was unfixable. I was merely thinking in terms of that reusing engines could lower the cost a bit. Just look at the SCUMM engine and the SCI engine. Many games fitted into almost the same engine.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony