You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Archived Developer Chats Moment of Silence Developer Chat Pre-rendered scenes and camera movements.. whoa!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
Programmer

Send a message via MSN to Halloko
Exclamation Pre-rendered scenes and camera movements.. whoa!

Ahoy there,

Just watched the developer interview video available online and I got thrown off when I heard you both used 2D pre-rendered scenes as well as 3D camera moves.

As a developer I'm very interested in how you guys achieved this kind of thing.. I mean, if you don't render your scenes real-time, how on Earth are you able to simulate camera movements in 3D? Is it something like the fake 3D you can achieve with a bunch of 2D pictures in e.g. Quicktime (you know, the thing where you can rotate/pan around in a street or similar).

Hope you have the time to delve a bit down in your actual game system

Oh, and I should probably mention that the characters look great (more on those later, hehe)!

Cheers,
Old 11-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #2

Quote:
As a developer I'm very interested in how you guys achieved this kind of thing.. I mean, if you don't render your scenes real-time, how on Earth are you able to simulate camera movements in 3D?
Voodoo.

Actually, Tobias is more competent than I to answer this. And he probably won't, because it's a kind of super-secret supersecret. All I can say is it's a special rendering technique involving alpha channels and camera viewports.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 11-10-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
Programmer

Send a message via MSN to Halloko
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
Actually, Tobias is more competenet than I to answer this. And he probably won't, because it's a kind of super-secret supersecret. All I can say is it's a special rendering technique involving alpha channels and camera viewports.
Aww, really?

After I'd posted the question I almost convinced myself that you actually rendered the scene completely at real-time when doing camera rotations. At least it looks a bit like that in the developer interview video (judging from the detail on the dome thingy).

But seriously, it's really that big a secret? You don't think he'd like to share some of his thoughts and ideas with the indie-world of game developing?
I'm not asking for his solution in code-terms.. just the basic theory

Pleeaaasseeee *sends out a stress signal to Tobias*