You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #21

Send a message via ICQ to Spikey Send a message via AIM to Spikey Send a message via MSN to Spikey

Wow, an Adelaide GK1 fan, that's pretty awesome.

I had a bunch of problems getting the CD version to work. Are you running the DOS or Windows version (and floppy or CD)? For your Win95 PC, try the DOS version, and tell me what your sound card and MIDI device is (go to Control Panel->Multimedia).

- Spike
Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #22

Here's a random GK3 question:

I know the game only has three resolution options - but is it at all possible to scale up the resolution manually or using a fix. More specifically to a widescreen resolution? I know the game is relatively old and doesn't natively support widescreen, but thought it was worth asking... If it's not possible I'm more than happy to play my favourite game with black bars on the side too. Thanks.

(Edit: I've asked here at the Widescreen Gaming Forum as well. I'll let you know if they have an answer.)

Last edited by D.C.; 09-11-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #23

@ fov - There are a few light scratches on the disc. When I install it without sound there's no problem getting past the conversation (except for the fact that there's no sound, LOL).

@ Spikey - It's so rare to find someone that's even heard of GK here isn't it? Let alone know what an adventure game is! LOL! I'll have to get back to you with information as I'm not at home at the moment to check all the details. I vaguely remember reading the CD which says that it'll play on Windows 95 so does that mean it's the Windows version? I'll let you know about the sound card and MIDI device too when I check.

I have a strong feeling that it might be the sound card.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #24
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Argh.
Weird, in DosBox everything seems to work pretty well for me besides the cinematics, which are of lesser sound quality (in the intro-dream for example there's no thunder effect, the sequence of Gabriel starting his bike has no sound at all).
Using the XP Patch to install and run it from Windows, the cinematics are as they should be but I don't get any music at all in-game (there's music in both cinematics and the main-menu screen, but St. George's is silent).

I guess the choice is obvious between having music or better movies, but it's still a little irritating.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #25

MoP, run INSTALL.EXE in DOSBox to setup the game to use general MIDI for your music driver or edit your RESOURCE.CFG file to soundDrv=GENMIDI.DRV. Also be sure that all of the files from the CD are on your HDD, then edit the paths in the RESOURCE.CFG to:

audio=.\;.\sfx;.\patches;.\aud
sync=.\aud
movieDir=.\seq
patchDir=.\;.\patches
Old 09-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #26
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Huh, that's weird, general MIDI doesn't work at all Which is strange since I recall using it with different games before through DosBox. I guess I should reinstall my sound drivers...
Thanks for the help Collector.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #27

Be sure that you have the GENMIDI.DRV file in the game's directory. If it is there, try playing a .mid file in Windows. If Windows can play a MIDI, it will work in DOSBox.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #28
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Yep, MIDI files wouldn't play - I could swear I'd installed the drivers correctly (had a format recently), but apparently I've only installed the "update" from the Creative webpage. Reinstalling from the CD did the trick.
Thanks again Collector, the game sounds great now, finally I can enjoy GK in it's full audio-visual glory
Old 09-25-2007, 03:36 AM   #29
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
Argh.
Weird, in DosBox everything seems to work pretty well for me besides the cinematics, which are of lesser sound quality (in the intro-dream for example there's no thunder effect, the sequence of Gabriel starting his bike has no sound at all).
Yeah, that's the main problem i have with running the game under DOSBox. Still, the rest of the game runs fine though. Can't wait 'til i get my Windows 98 computer built, i'll be able to play all these old games without any problems, exactly as they were intended.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour