You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #1

Default Gabriel Knight 3: Install Error

I've recently got my hands on GK3, and have been trying to install it for the last hour. I managed to get around the autoexecute error, but when it asks what program directory I want, the program simply says that there's an error, and drops me out.

Full error message: "An error has occured during instillation. Please consult your vendor for assistance."

Is there any to solve it? I've been looking through the entire net, and have come to believe that I am the only person on Earth who has this problem.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us a bit about your computer specs. What operating system are you using? What is the letter of your hard drive?

What was the autoexecute error you had?

What process are you following when you try to install? Are you installing by running the setup program from the CD, or are you using the autorun screen that comes up when you insert the CD? It would help to know exactly what you're doing to bring up this error.

Also, is this an original Sierra release, or the Xplosiv rerelease?

-emily
Old 03-22-2005, 08:56 AM   #3

Sorry I didn't include enough info.

I'm running on Windows XP (SP1), Pentium Celeron 2ghz, GeForce FX5200, 512 MB Ram, hard drive C. I have the most recent DirectX installed (whatever THAT is). I'm using the installer on the CD, and it's the original Sierra release.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Did you put the setup program in compatibility mode before trying to run it?

-emily
Old 03-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #5

Yes, I set it for Windows 98 compatibility. I also tried Windows 95. Both gave me the error message.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Have you also tried installing through the autorun menu (the box that comes up when you first pop the CD in the drive)?

If no one knows how to fix this, I can fiddle around with GK3 and see if I can come up with other suggestions. I'm at work now though; it won't be until tonight.

Did you post about this on Sierra's GK boards? Someone else is having the same problem (unless that's you?!)

-emily
Old 03-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #7

Never mind. I solved the problem by setting it to 2000 compatability. Never mind that a game released in 1999 runs best on 2000, which is closer to XP than any of the other Windows.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

That's ironic, considering the game refuses to install on NT to begin with. (I first tried to play it on an NT machine in 2000.)

In any case, I'm glad you got it working. Enjoy the game!

-emily