You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems The Longest Journey Freezes at Load Game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 10:38 PM   #1

Default The Longest Journey Freezes at Load Game

Hi, I'm lovin' playing TLJ. It just crashes a lot -- hard. I have to manually shut down. My specs are:
AMD Duron Processor
256 MB RAM
VIA Technologies onboard sound
Asus nVidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB Video Card
Direct X 9.0
Win98SE
80 GB Hard drive (55GB free)

I get confused about drivers. The VIA Sound worked fine with Syberia. I got the driver from the VIA Arena using my exact model number. Windows Critical Update Notification wants to update it, but I won't do it. When I've done it before it caused problems. Maybe I need to do it for this game?

The nVidia driver confuses me because there are all these choices on the CD that came with it: WHQL driver, ASUS driver or nVidia driver. Then there is a choice for AGP miniport. I use the driver from the giga-byte website.

This is what worked for Uru: Ages Beyond Myst and for Syberia. I'm pretty sure. Had to completely install a new hard drive. But, I think it's all the same.

Any suggestions would be great. Until then I will just remember to save a lot!

Peace,
Leeny
Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Well i haven't experienced any mayor problems with the game when i was replaying it few months ago.

The best thing to do would be this:

Uninstall every single driver(display, sound...) from your system

Install the newest motherboard drivers from makers website directly, install every option, from IDE drivers to AGP mini port drivers.

You'll probably have to download sound driver seperatly, but it should be on the same page anyway, at least that's common practise.

Download latest official Nvidia Display drivers for your OS (Win98SE) from their website, don't touch thouse found on CDs, since they tend to be old anyway.

Try it and report back. Everything else looks to be in order, you have more than enough disk space and RAM.