You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems ST:A final unity (technical problems)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 02:51 AM   #1
pain is love

Default ST:A final unity (technical problems)

I'm torturing myself with this one for a few days now. I just can't get it to work properly, not in winXP, not in win98 (and dos mode). I tried DosBox, compatibility modes on XP. Got it to work once, but with crappy sounds. After that, nothing. I'll go crazy with this one! If you have any idea, post it. Thanx in advance

EDIT: BTW I tried VDMS too

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 01-18-2005, 07:57 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

What happens when you try those things? Do you get any error messages?

I have this game... I can try to help you troubleshoot. (Not now because I have to go to work but later.)

-emily
Old 01-19-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
pain is love

well, in xp it doesn't say anything anymore. I'm trying to play it in win98, and I've set almost everything. But now it's giving me messages that I can't play because of the buffers. Did you succed in installing it fov? If you remember tell me how? Thanx

by_100ja
Old 01-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Lucky you (and lucky me!) - the power went out in my office and they sent us all home from work. So I will be able to try it out today. I'll let you know what happens.

emily
Old 01-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Okay, I'm trying on XP and the install started and did a check of my system. It's saying my files/buffers aren't high enough. Apparently editing config.sys or config.nt will help but I have't figured that out. Is this the same problem you're having? (Apparently it's not too uncommon... a Google search brought up this: http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread20010-1.html)

I'll try win98 next.

-emily

Last edited by fov; 01-19-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Installed my game few weeks ago in Dosbox, installation processes was slow, but it did complete eventually.

So Mitja, can you write me your system specs?

I own Athlon XP 1700+ and i experienced the sound issues as well. There is an interesting thread in Dosbox forums about this game and a certain patcher for DOS extender.
I followed the steps described there and the game did indeed work much better after this procedure, but shortly after the begining(very first battle) it seems the game just stops responding.

I suggest you try it, maybe you'll have a better luck than me. Report your findings.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Ooh, thanks Voodoo. I'm hung up on this Buffers issue. (Came back to XP because I don't have a CD driver installed in DOS on the win98 machine and the installer wouldn't let me install in Windows.) I have read in a few places that buffers can be changed in config.nt, and I tried it (there is already files=40 in there, so I just added buffers=40), restarted the machine and tried again, but the installer is still saying the buffers are 0. I read on the MS site that buffers aren't used in XP (only in MS-DOS emulation mode, but apparently not working in this case) so maybe that's why adding that line to config.nt didn't work.

Here is another link about buffers: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1021623131

-emily
Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Okay, I'm trying on XP and the install started and did a check of my system. It's saying my files/buffers aren't high enough. Apparently editing config.sys or config.nt will help but I have't figured that out. Is this the same problem you're having? (Apparently it's not too uncommon... a Google search brought up this: http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread20010-1.html)

I'll try win98 next.

-emily
THe buffers thing can be fixed, I found a "sort of" patch, its a new install file that let's you override the errors (buffers) and install it anyway. Even found something about the sound but it was too damn complicated for me to do then. I'm going for something simplistic, although I almost made a bootabile dos diskette. I'm sure that would do the tric, but who will find all the drivers...

Thanx for the link Voodoo, I'll try this tonight.

BTW specs: AMD Duron 1600, 256 mb RAM, Ati Radeon 9000...

by_100ja
Old 01-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

I actually managed to "install" it by just unzipping STTNG and STTNGINS into a folder on my c: drive. Then I ran setup.exe from that folder to configure my sound and video. I found a sound setting that worked but the sound is choppy. VDMSound made the sound go away altogether. Started to try DOSBOX but it was very slow to mount the drive for some reason so I quit.

Let us know if you get it working.

-emily
Old 01-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
Grumpy & bitter man

As far as i know you don't even need a CD for playing, when i first played the game i borrowed it from a friend, i copied entire content of the CD to a folder and installed from there, then returned the disk.

Now i don't know if back then i used good old SUBST command to map the folder as a CD, but i know i changed CD path in config file of the game to point to (folder/subst CD) and played the game from hard drive.

Oh damn you girl, now you've done it. You've just made me excited all over again, i must go and try this ASAP.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
Grumpy & bitter man

Seems it takes ages for CDROM to read the content of the disc. I guess you're not the only one with problems fov.

Update: Ok, so i've checked the game, i copied all the content to disk and installed the game from there, had the CD in drive just for System check. Once installed you only need to edit single line in STTNG.ini :

CD=<folder of CD content on HDD>

I tried the game with DosBox 0.63, in Windowed mode with following settings in dosbox.conf (i've only stated those that differ from default settings):

output=opengl (since i have a good OpenGL card (geforce3) leave Surface if the game is slow

memsize=64

core=dynamic

cycles=13500

scaler=none
(don't know if this is default or not)

===========================================

Game related settings:

The soundcard i selected was Gravis Ultrasound since it produced clearer sound on sound check, you can try with autodetect and go with Soundblaster PRO.
Graphicswise there are many choices, but only two resolutions work, the first two:

320*240, 256 colors
640*400, 256 colors (my choice)

Enable full-screen option.

Run the game.

My results:

Everything ok, no stuttering, no visible graphical glitches, minor slowdown on battle screen, and a very slow mouse. If you find it too slow yourself simply change sensitivity parameter in dosbox.conf.

I've changed it from 100 to 150 (much, much better)

So here you go, now test it. And report how well does it play.

If you can't make much of the steps given in the forum link i gave you, provide me with your email and i'll send you the changed file.

Last edited by VoodooFX; 01-19-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #12
pain is love

THANX VODOO! This worked perfect, I don't know what say
WOHOOOOOOO!

If you ever find your way to ZG, send me an e-mail (it's on my member page), the beers are on me (or whatever you drink)!

by_100ja
Old 02-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #13
The Dude

Send a message via AIM to mrdunn

Ok, I know this is an old topic, but I'm having trouble with this, I've followed the direction Voodoo gave, and while I've gotten farther than ever before, it still doesn't work. It works up until the end of the little Spectrum Holobyte logo, then it crashes. The audio also seemed to lag a little behind the audio, though I can't be sure until I see the other videos.

Anyways, after the Spectrum video, Doxbox starts spewing out errors: "Illegal read/write from HEXNUMBER"

I don't know what to do, but if you guys can figure it out lemme know.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:01 AM   #14
Grumpy & bitter man

Hi, can you be little more specific, please... what steps have you followed?

Did you apply the patcher, copy the game to hard drive, change the settings?
Everything from above?

Also could you please write me your system specs and operating system you're using?

Thanks