You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #1

Default Grim Fandango Problem

Hi everybody,

this is my first post and I got a problem with the game, Grim F.

For some reason, in Year 3, I get stuck when I try to talk to the kids in the bird cage. I can see the dialogue coming up, but as soon as I hit the first line, I get no sound and the game doesn't go nowhere. In other words, I can't pick up the hammer. Any ideas on how to fix that problem?

I am able, however, to head out of the room, go to Meche's office and pick up her stocking and so forth.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
merely human

I moved this thread to Hint Requests for better reception, Jutout.

Welcome to the community. Stick around, it gets better the longer you stay. 8-)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
Banned User

Specific help is difficult to offer without knowing what particular Operating System and computer specs you bring to the table.

Here's a general suggestion, though: make a backup of your saved game files, then uninstall/reinstall the game. Then re-introduce your saved games to the general game file.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Homer of Kittens

I dunno if you've done this or not, but in grim, you need to turn hyperthreading off in the bios if you have a very new Pentium processor.

Firefox rules
Old 01-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #5
Doctor Watson

Also, have you installed the patch? You can get it from Lucas Arts' Grim Fandango website.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Also, have you installed the patch? You can get it from Lucas Arts' Grim Fandango website.
Thanks for all the replies...

First off, I don't really know how to change the bios.

I downloaded the patch and almost everything I could find on the net but to no avail. My OP system is windows Xp. I know the game does not support it but so far I had only minor problems when running the game on it.

The game just gets stuck when I try to talk to the damn birds (kids) in the cage in Year 3.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:41 AM   #7
Doctor Watson

When your PC boots up, press Delete on your keyboard to enter Bios. You might want to consult your motherboard's manual for further information, though.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Mad Rabbit

You could also try chaging the Compatibility setting for the game.

Create a shortcut that launches the game (as opposed to the installed shortcut that launches the autorun menu). You'll find the right executable in the Program Files subdirectory.

Right click the shortcut, select "Properties" and then the "Compatibility" tab. Try setting it to Windows 98. Use that shortcut to start the game.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
When your PC boots up, press Delete on your keyboard to enter Bios. You might want to consult your motherboard's manual for further information, though.
Once I did that..then what?
Old 01-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #10

One more question...

I know you guys are shaking your heads when you're reading my posts, but keep in mind that I'm not that comp literate. I'm merely trying to play a friggin' game and finish it...lol

My question is, tho, how can I save my Saved Games before I re-install the game? What files do I have to save and how do I find them?

Thanks so much
Old 01-24-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

I've never done this before with GF... but it looks like you want to save every file that ends in .gsv, as well as all the grimlog.htm files. (If you arrange the files in your GF directory by date, your saves and the grimlog files will be the most recent ones.) Back these files up, and when you reinstall GF just drop them into the GF directory.

Sorry I can't help with the BIOS question, I don't know anything about that (although I did used to work for the guy who invented the BIOS... does that count for anything? )

emily