You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default Black Mirror Crash

My game freezes at the beginning of chapter 2. I get to see the introductory movie , conversations with the butler, and the detective, but when you see him off at the door, the game just freezes; you can't even ctrl-alt-delete your way out either, the whole comp seems unresponsive. All I can do is restart. The first time through I played listening to all the dialogue, and it froze after the detective had left, the second time, I clicked through the dialogue, and it froze a little earlier, in the same scene.

Any help?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

You again! Just can't stay out of trouble, huh?

Sorry to say I can't help with this one, but hopefully someone else can.

emily
Old 12-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #3
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
You again! Just can't stay out of trouble, huh?

Sorry to say I can't help with this one, but hopefully someone else can.

emily
What can I say? I just have all the luck!

There's something with me and technology, I swear...

William
Old 12-29-2004, 01:53 AM   #4
Evil Webmaster

Since no patches have been released, your best option right now is to write to the tech support at TAC and pray for an hopeful response. I never experienced this problem so I don't see how can I help, sorry.
So there you go
Old 12-29-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
Adventurer

Well I've been looking into relevant threads at gameboomers, and I've run across one with a similar problem.
Someone's game sent them back to their desktop in that same spot, and someone suggested lowering the graphics acceleration, and that seems to be the end of that problem.
So I'm just wondering, can anyone give me an idea how much to lower them so that it doesn't make my game totally unplayable?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks for posting what you found. It will probably be helpful to someone else down the line.

It's probably just trial and error with the graphics acceleration. (I'm not even sure that changing graphics acceleration causes a noticeable difference in graphics quality.) If it does change the graphics and you're unhappy with that, you could just lower it long enough to get past the part with the crash, then crank it up again.

-emily
Old 12-29-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
Evil Webmaster

I don't think it will change anything, Black Mirror does not use graphical acceleration at all, so no probs. I would go for the lowest setting possibile, if you see the problem solved and no change in graphics then you go ahead. If there are indeed changes in graphics (and I'm wrong), you can try raising it a bit after you get through that point when it crashes.
So there you go
Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 AM   #8
Adventurer

No luck. I lowered the graphic acceration to about half, and the program decided to stop running after it displayed the TAC logo. I raised it one notch, and though the game ran fine, I hit the same problem.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-02-2005, 05:15 AM   #9
Evil Webmaster

Try looking for savegames, if you can't solve the problem, at least you should be able to avoid it, right?
So there you go
Old 01-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
Adventurer

Well, just for the record, I got it working. In black mirror's compatability program (found in the black mirror folder) I switched the res from 800x600x32 to 16 bit, as well as disable visual themes and turned advanced text options off, and whatever it was, I got through it.
I was ready to use saves, but I just managed to get it working (it was my last try)
Anyways, I thought I'd post it, just in case someone in the future digs through old posts in search of a solution (like I did).

And once again, thanks everyone!