You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Default X-Files in DosBox (using DFEND)

Putting all my adventure games in DFend to play via DosBox - really easy and managed to get the Windows games working, such as the newer Gabriel Knight adventures, Tex Murphy, etc.

However I cannot get The X-Files to install at all. I have problems with some newer games before but have managed to get them working with much patience. I am now at a loss with this one.

I have the 7 ISO images. I mount the ISO Image of number 1 in DosBox. Type D: - they type DIR - however it will not install when I try and select setup - get a Win error.

I'm sure this is how I got my other games installed.

If I just try and play the game direct rathe rthan through DosBox I get a Fatal Error message as well.

Anyone had any luck with this?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #2

The "Win error" means that you are trying to play a Windows game in DOSBox. And according to Moby, there is no DOS version. While you can install Windows 3x in DOSBox to play pre Windows 95 games, you will need to find another solution for the '95 and later era games, if they will not run natively on modern Windows. Some have managed to get '95 to install on DOSBox, it is completely unsupported and has some serious limitations, including instability. You also need to own a copy of the earlier Windows to do either.

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the game to experiment with. The best thing you can try is to run the game directly in Windows using various compatibility mode settings.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #3

The thing is I am running Tales of Monkey Island and the Special Editions using DFend as a front end for DosBox - just so easy to have all my games in one listing to play.

I did have similar problems with The Pandra Directive, The Last Express, Gabriel Knigh - The Beast Within, etc, but managed to get them all playing.

Would it elp if I gave details of the error report - does that give any clues why it will not play - even in normal Windows mode? I even changed the compatability to 95 & 98 - no luck
Old 06-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #4

I don't like Defend Reloaded, so I am not that familiar with it, but it sounds like it can launch some Windows games from it, but it would NOT be using DOSBox to run the Windows games.

For the X-Files, a quick Google suggested to uninstall the QuickTime 3 that gets installed by the game and installed the latest version.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
I don't like Defend Reloaded, so I am not that familiar with it, but it sounds like it can launch some Windows games from it, but it would NOT be using DOSBox to run the Windows games.

For the X-Files, a quick Google suggested to uninstall the QuickTime 3 that gets installed by the game and installed the latest version.
Will give it another go tonight - I actually did try installing Quicktime 7 but when it started the game asked for Quicktime?!?!? When Quicktime 3 was installed I would get the fata error.

Fingers crossed - will give it another bash
Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #6

Tried Quicktime 4 & 7 but still crashed when I load the game

Had a look at the error report - nothing sticks out??

Tried changing compatability and it goes to a black screen - looks like it will load - then just goes back to my desktop!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

Seems to be more of a Quicktime error I think - tried again with various versions but just get a black screen - looks like its about to start - the defaults back to my desktop!

Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #8

As I said, I don't have the game to experiment, so any suggestions that I can make are shots in the dark. You might try the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...e-492dd6da2971