You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Discworld, Act 2, can't return to present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
Bon
The Tentacle

Default Discworld, Act 2, can't return to present

I took the book from the library the thief was supposed to steal and now every time I try to go back to the present, a cut-scene featuring Death appears, telling me I was supposed to be dead eight minutes ago! And then Rincewind simply returns to the past.

What should I do? I tried reading through some walkthroughs, and, apart from one of them telling me not to take the book (wellthankyouverymuch), there doesn't seem to be another mention of it.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #2

I remember running into a similar issue a long, long time ago. as far as I remember it's a weird thing that happens for some unexplainable reason if you do too much in the past on one trip. I ended up having to break my trips up into focussing on one puzzle at a time instead of trying to do everything in as few trips and then it worked

this does of course require loading an earlier save though
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Putting the book back on the shelf (after an attempt to go to back to the present) should suffice - the thief should appear again and steal it.

However, I have the Mac version of Discworld which from what I hear was released a bit later and was less buggy than the PC one. If the simple solution doesn't help, search for a patch to the game.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
Bon
The Tentacle

Yeah, a thief returns and steals the book but I still can't go back! Also, I don't think there is a patch...?

I'll probably restore an earlier save. Tnx anyway!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

I recall this happening too, and I've never had to reload over it. Did you substitute the book yet? If so, be sure to put the original book back to avoid a paradox. IIRC the descriptions can confusingly swap along when you swap the covers, so if so make sure you've swapped those back too.