You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems black mirror about to give up for good

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #1

Default black mirror about to give up for good

downloaded from adventure shop----crashes and bugs
bought disc from amazon----now I have a starforce error something about being administrator and it won't let me play! Very frustrating!Help me please.

There is no place in the error message to put in my serial number.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #2

Oh no - I remember that happening to me too - but I figured it out... Look at that Starforce window again - there IS a place to enter the code near the bottom - but as I recall it's very obscure - i.e. no box - just start typing! I believe the game comes with four different codes - you have to try each one until you get the one that works (for me of course it was the last one!) - and make sure you have the 1st disc back in the drive - you'll get it - you're so close!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoecastillo View Post
Oh no - I remember that happening to me too - but I figured it out... Look at that Starforce window again - there IS a place to enter the code near the bottom - but as I recall it's very obscure - i.e. no box - just start typing! I believe the game comes with four different codes - you have to try each one until you get the one that works (for me of course it was the last one!) - and make sure you have the 1st disc back in the drive - you'll get it - you're so close!
Ok I put Disc 1 back in it says Starforce error ..... to install protection drivers you must run as administrator....or something to that effect. There is no place to enter the codes. There is just one place to click towards the right top area of the box and it says "ok" but when you click it it just closes down. Arrrgh!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

Hmmm, I know I had this similar problem the first time - but that was over a year ago, so don't remember exactly - and I just reinstalled the game two weeks ago and so it is already on my computer. I would have to uninstall and reinstall to help you out (but I work all week - so wouldn't be able to try until the weekend). I am sure someone will be able to help, or you will figure it out before then. I may have found my original answer to the problem in the Amazon reviews of the game - also you can check to see if there is a YouTube video showing you what to do. I really feel for ya - but you'll get it - don't give up!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #5

Thanks so much for all your help so far, I really, really appreciate it. I have so many hours dedicated to this game already I really hate to give up on it. So I figured out how to run it as administrator so it asked me to reboot, which I did then I got another error message saying it needs to run on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0 2000 XP or server 2003

My computer has
Vista Home Premium
AMD Turion X2-Dual-Core Mobile RM-70
ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

Now, I have no right even trying to use a computer as I am totally computer illiterate but I did manage to find the above info...whether its pertinent or not is another story
Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
lost in rubacava

There's a thread on Black Mirror 2 in the Tech Support Forum over at Gameboomers, the sixth or seventh entry down, I think. You might read through that and see if anything sparks an idea about what to do. Have you tried running in compatibility mode for 98 or XP?

Um...if you're talking about the original game, try that forum anyway. They're pretty good at figuring out problems.

Last edited by aimless; 01-05-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: barely awake
Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
There's a thread on Black Mirror 2 in the Tech Support Forum over at Gameboomers, the sixth or seventh entry down, I think. You might read through that and see if anything sparks an idea about what to do. Have you tried running in compatibility mode for 98 or XP?

Um...if you're talking about the original game, try that forum anyway. They're pretty good at figuring out problems.
Thank you for your response. I will try that forum for hints. I have not tried running in compatibility mode as I have no idea what that is I know, its sad how much I do not know about computers, I must get with it!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #8

Hey there - well, look at the whole mess as just another adventure! I just got home from the office - but I really want to help you! So, I did some Googling (you have an additional problem b/c you have Vista - I have XP). If you have Vista you do have to change the compatibility mode to XP:

Go to to properties of the EXE file of the game, and change the compatibility mode to XP. You should hopefully then get it working... There are a lot of tips on the Net if you Google "Black Mirror Vista"

Ok - must eat! Let us know when you get it working!

P.S. You are very welcome for the help - I only hope it eventually pays off! I'm sure it will though...
Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
lost in rubacava

If you don't know how to do what zoecastillo suggested, merrymouse, right click on the desktop icon of the installed game and select Go to File Location. (I have Win 7 but I'm assuming it works this way in Vista, hope so.) Then right click on the .exe file (it may say 'application') and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility and take it from there.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #10

Thanks again for sticking with me. I changed everything that had .exe to XP and it still is not working. Just FYI I right clicked the desktop icon, click open file location, then I right clicked the ones that said application and then there was a place that said run as...and I choose XP service pack 2, then apply then ok. It did not work. I am getting the same error message. I have googled and looked all over. Some places said it just will not run on Vista. I checked our desktop computer and its Vista too. I even checked my kids brand new laptop which we got pretty cheap and it has Windows 98 but my hubby was totally freaked and he doesn't want me to load it on their new laptop. Im open to anymore suggestions and until then Im