You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island - Black screen/crash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

Default Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island - Black screen/crash

I'm at the the point in this game where Blue Belly is trying to save his town and Papa Doc is in the temple. Jane just used the map and dropped down into some sort of cave. At this point I switched back to Blue Belly and finished his section (defend the town from Greenbeard). Then I tried to switch back to Jane, but all I see is a black screen. The sound is playing and if I move the cursor around, I can "see" the objects I'm supposed to interact with and I can access the menu with the Esc key. In short, everything seems fine, except for the fact that the screen is black. (When I go back to previous saves in this chapter and try to go to Jane, same problem.)

Also, every time I close the game the normal way, from the menu, it crashes. This wasn't a problem before, since I was closing the game anyway, but now I wonder whether these problems are related.

Error message:

Translation is something like: "main.exe has stopped working"

Computer specs:
Windows Vista Home Edition 32bit
Graphics card: Radeon X1600/X1650 Series
DirectX 11
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Last edited by Devilfish; 09-07-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #2

The crash when leaving the game from the main menu was reported by several Vista users. But so far that didn't do any harm. If you don't like to get this crash you could close the game with ALT+F4.

The black screen on switching characters has been reported a few times. It looks like this problems depends on the order of play. Sadly no one was able to reproduce it, so what causes this exactly is still a mystery. But when it happens it happens every time you switch to a certain character. So the only reliable solution so far is to use a savegame with the character that gets a black screen is still at a different location. So in your case use a savegame when Jane isn't at Skull Island, then finish Blue Belly and Papa Doc first and then go on with Jane.

You can also try moving Jane at the black screen to a neighboring location at skull island. You should still be able to use the exits (there are two of them). After switching to another location (screen probably still black), switch to Blue Belly or Papa Doc, also change the location and create a savegame. Then leave the game, load the created savegame and then switch to Jane. This method has worked sometimes but not always. The reliable method is to use a savegame with the character that gets a blackscreen on switch is still at a different location.

In general this problem has never been reported if you play the branches the way the game suggests it. So finish a character branch without switching the characters manually and let the game do the switching.