You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems King's Quest 5: I can't save my game!

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #1

King's Quest 5: I can't save my game!

Please Help!

The FACTS:

I am trying to run King Quest 5: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!
I am using the version included in my copy of King's Quest Collection (2006)
I am using a HP laptop which utilizes Windows Vista (32 bit)
I have no prior experience using DOS BOX

The ISSUE:

When I tried to save my KQ 5 game, I received the error: "This directory/disk can hold no more saved games. You must replace one of your saved games or use Change Directory to save on a different directory/disk."

Of course, I have no saved KQ 5 games.

So, the first thing I did was to google the issue and look for answers. I quickly found myself on the Sierra Help page (http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/King...tml#RestoreBug) which suggested that I run the game directly through DOS BOX and command the game to open using "sierra cresource.cfg"

Of course, that didn't work. I tried various, combinations of that command and tried using the help for DOS BOX to further explore "mounting", but I am not very savvy in this area and my efforts fell short.

So, I did some further googling and found that there is a suggested patch for King's Quest Collection on the very same Sierra Help page. So, thinking it might help my problem, I uninstalled King's Quest Collection to remove it from "Program Files" as suggested my the site.

I then reinstalled, KQC under "CSierra\"

Then, I downloaded the patch from the link on the Sierra Help site. After fighting Norton a bit to let me download the patch, I finally got it! Yay!

So, I run the patch, making sure to direct it to "CSierra\King's Quest Collection\"

Guess what? The patch says it can't find the Collection there. Go figure. I check. Sure enough, the game is still where I told the patch it should be. I have no clue what the problem is here but I don't know how to move forward.

All this crap just to save a game! Ugh!

Again, Please HELP!

07-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

Apply the patch.

07-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the help, however, I'm still having the same problem I described earlier.

I previously installed KQC in CSierra\

I downloaded the patch and ran it.

The patch asks for the folder where I saved KQC.

I tell the patch to look in CSierra\King's Quest Collection

The patch tells me "The King's Quest Collection was not found in CSierra\King's Quest Collection. Please select the folder where the collection is installed."

I'm stuck! I don't know why the patch is giving me this error!

I've attached screenshots to illustrate. Please help!
Attached Images

07-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #4

Success!

I added the (TM) to the end of the file name CSierra\King's Quest Collection

So, when I told the patch to look it CSierra\King's Quest Collection(TM) the patch worked perfectly!

Details, details!

Well, after I installed the patch, I ran King's Quest 5 and it now lets me SAVE THE GAME!

I'm thrilled!! Thanks for listening to my saga!

07-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #5

All you needed to do is just click the browse button and select the folder where you installed the collection.