You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Blackstone Chronicles and QuickTime 3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Pixiehunter

Default Blackstone Chronicles and QuickTime 3

As may have been clear from my participation in the Blackstone Chronicles playthrough, it runs fine on my pc, but the pc of my girlfriend refuses to run it, with the same error as more people have encountered: WinMain() Exception - Win32 Structured Exception -1073741819 (0xc0000005). Followed by 10 more hexadecimal values. Yes, the same as mentioned in a previous topic, but from what I know, the solutions mentioned there were to no avail.

Here is what we know now, from trying to get rid of the error:
- that number sequence 1073741819 is apparently an exit code for access violation (although I have no clue as to how this links with the error. But maybe it gives someone else an idea?)
- her Quicktime 3 installation is a bit...odd. For example, it does not show in the software list, the quicktime folder is absent, and the *.PIC files in the BC folder, which should be automatically linked to quicktime, are unlinked.
- However, reinstalling QT3 does NOT solve the problem. Granted, it is now in the software list, the folder is there, and the *.PIC files are linked, but she can not open even the sample.mov file, because quick time does not work properly. It gives a generic invalid operation error, pretty useless.

Our main guess now is that the problem lies with Quicktime 3 not working properly. So, basicly, apparently Quicktime 3 does not run on a pc with:
- XP
- nVidia GeForce 7600 GT
- DirectX 9.0c
- Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
- 1536 MB RAM

While it does run on a pc with
- XP
- ATI Radeon 9200
- DirectX 9.0c
- AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8 GHz
- 1536 MB RAM

I know it is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone with the same error while trying to run BC, also experience oddities with quicktime, like it not being present in the software listing or it crashing when trying to open the sample.mov? Does anyone see comparisons with their specs and the specs of the pc QT3 crashes on?
Does anyone know if some specs are incompatible with the specs required for QT3. Does anyone know how to get QT3 run on a pc with said specs?

I know, it may not be a QT3 related problem at all, the guess may be totally off, but it may be worth the try?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #2

I had severe problems when I tried to install Quicktime 3 for The X-Files Game. Even though it said that you needed QT 3 or later, my modern QT 7 wouldn't work with the program at all. So I had to uninstall QT 7, causing severe problems with my iTunes software, but permitting The X-Files Game to run (using QT 3). After the game, I found that QT 3 ended up installing files in strange places, including my "Win 32" folder, in which you usually do not ever find program files. I had to manually find remove all of the QT 3 files to then re-install my "modern" Quicktime and then I got my iTunes to work.

This probably doesn't help terribly much, but I too had extreme problems with Quicktime 3 on XP.