You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default Running games without disks?

So how would one go about doing that (legally)? I'm sure you could crack the game, but that's really not my cup of tea. See, I'd like to do gaming on my laptop, but I don't really feel like carrying around for example all the disks for GK3 with me (one game with one disk I can manage). I saw something on BBC World the other day about making an image (or something) of the disk with something like Daemon, but before I go and fiddle around with that (without any knowledge) I just thought I'd ask if you have anything to say about this? Any alternatives, and if I do use that, what it takes from my computer (like if it slows something down (what I doubt) or if it takes a lot of space or something)?

Of course, I'm not in a position to pay anything So I can't use any fully commercial programs

(Also, don't some games have like patches that make them work without the disks?)
Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
Monkeyboy

-[Site removed] has a lot of no-cd patches.
-Imgburn allows you to make images on your hard drive from your cd's.
-Daemon Tools Lite allows you to mount said images as virtual cd-roms and since they play directly from your hard disk they are much faster to access than a regular cd.

All free.

You say cracking is not really your cup of tea, but in some instances it's strictly necessary because of lame copy protection features. Sorry. Depends on what games you own.

Read the documentation, it's not that hard to figure out. There are a few tricks you can do in Dosbox as well to have everything run out of a single folder, but that get's a tad more complicated.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #3

yeah [site removed] is the easiest way in most instances. Simply install the game and replace the exe with the one you downloaded. I do that all the time so I only ever use the CDs/DVDs to install the game. Much easier and keeps the discs nice and new.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #4

It depends on which game. With some older CD games it only requires copying all the game files to the harddrive and editing the configuration file. Some games you can get by with an image of the disc and mounting it with something like Daemon Tools. For older DOS games you can mount the images as discs directly in DOSBox, where images can be swapped on the fly by pressing Ctrl+F4 (handy for multi disc games).

For many of the newer games a NO-CD cracked EXE is the only way. Without getting into the legality of it, I always use a cracked EXE with any new game that I buy, rather than letting it install what amounts to a root kit on my system. While this topic is bordering on what is allowed on these boards, it is not piracy if applied on a legally purchased and installed game. It only violates the EULA.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

It's the creation and distribution of cracks that's illegal, not an end user's application of them. Except, of course, users can't get them if they're not created and distributed, so discussing and promoting cracks is indeed something this board can't and won't endorse. They're out there if people want to find them, but this discussion should turn to other alternatives.

And for the record, in absolutely no way, shape or form, is cracking a "necessity" or "the only way". Gripe about the legality of it all you want, but necessity doesn't even enter the conversation.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Monkeyboy

So how else does one get rid of things like SecuRom?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
Monkeyboy

Seriously, I'm sorry for double posting, but I'm really curious as to what other ways you can get rid of DRM on your games besides cracking them.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

You can't. Not legally. But "getting rid of DRM" doesn't qualify as a "need" by any definition of the word, nor is it a right. Everyone has the option to just not buy something.

Now, there are some pretty useful reasons for cracking games people have legally purchased, and we know that, which is why we'll turn a blind eye to the topic in general (as above). But we can't allow links (with or without url) that encourages people to use them.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Life and times of...

Thanks for the responses (and ooh, I got a debate )

As I said, I very well know I could crack but I don't really do that, unless I absolutely must (which I don't...)

I am pretty much only going to do this with older games (like the aforementioned GK3, which has 3 CDs, quite a bother to be carrying around with the laptop) and hence don't have to care about the copy protection and whatnot (so I don't have to find a way around them).

I think I'll just stick with the Daemon.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Monkeyboy

Well, you don't 'need' to do anything except eat, sleep and sh*t, but that would make for a pretty useless life IMHO.

And yes, I really do feel it is my right to get rid of the DRM on my media once I've purchased it. It's like saying I shouldn't be allowed to disable the car alarm on my new car. I payed for it, it's mine and hence I can do whatever I want with it, stupid digital rights management laws or not.

I'm not complaining about link removal, I fully respect the boards rules, you just made it seem like there were viable options to being able to use these products freely.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #11

I know from personal experiance I have had games that won't run at all. I contact the tech support email...no reply. So I, as a last resort, use an "illegal" crack...and my legally bought game works. Thats a necessity, and in no way do I feel bad about it. Alot of my games actually run better when they do not need to constantly access the disk for copy protection. Lets be honest, this so called protection is never unbreakable anyway. Ceville doesn't even require the disk from the get-go which is a refreshing change. So yes, I know its controversial, and I know its taboo on these forums, and yes I know I can't link to any sites I use...but I may as well be honest and give my opinion.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
I'm not complaining about link removal, I fully respect the boards rules, you just made it seem like there were viable options to being able to use these products freely.
No, I didn't say anything of the sort. I just said it wasn't an issue of need, and that any attempt to justify an illegal act by calling it "need" is wrong. Debates about morality, fairness, usefulness, or anything else, is an entirely different matter, and not one I commented on at all, one way or the other.

Such debates are not, however, what this thread was intended for, so let's allow it to get back on track.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
And for the record, in absolutely no way, shape or form, is cracking [ ] "the only way".
Well, this is what threw me of then. It IS the only way for me for example to play a game with DRM on a device without a cd drive. Copy protection is an annoyance I did not pay for when I bought the product is all I am saying. If I can make a product I own better by modifying it then I have no legal or moral gripes about that whatsoever.

But sure, back on topic
Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #14

Quote:
And for the record, in absolutely no way, shape or form, is cracking a "necessity" or "the only way".
Not throw gasoline on the fire or gang up, but I took it the same way that Jonatan took it. Taken in context of the thread I said that for some games that a NOCD patched EXE is the only to do what the OP had started this thread for... "Running games without disks". Your response seems to indicate a way to accomplish the OP's goal without a NOCD EXE. I had said "Without getting into the legality of it" in my post.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Hopeful skeptic

There ARE other alternatives for running games without disks, some of which have already been mentioned in this thread. No CD cracks are certainly the easiest, but without at least trying the others, no one's in a position to be declaring the illegal way the only way.

In any case, enough about who interpreted my statement how. As I've said several times now, let the thread get back on track. Maybe others will still have different suggestions.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Monkeyboy

You are really starting to tick me off.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

You can't imagine how little I care, Jonatan. You're just trolling now, so knock it off. I won't tell you again. If you have anything new to contribute to the original poster's request, feel free to contribute. If not, you're done here.

Incidentally, buying games through download is one way to avoid all nonsense with disks. Not every game is available, but it's certainly becoming more prominent.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 AM   #18
Monkeyboy

I 'm trolling? You are the one acting aggressive and rude. You are totally dismissing what I and Collector are saying without coming up with any alternative solutions of your own. And I can assure you, both of us know what we are talking about, but I can imagine 'how little you care'.

I don't know who you think you are but if you are a moderator I suggest looking for a new job because you are doing a very poor job.

Oh, and thanks for the warning.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #19

Quote:
It's the creation and distribution of cracks that's illegal, not an end user's application of them.
Source? Which law is broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
You can't. Not legally. But "getting rid of DRM" doesn't qualify as a "need" by any definition of the word, nor is it a right.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:57 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Schillinger View Post

From your attitude, it seems that you know that no law has been broken. If this is the case, please, do tell us without any games.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box