You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Screenshot capturing for old (non Dosbox) games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Schattenjäger

Default Screenshot capturing for old (non Dosbox) games

I wasn´t really sure if this is the correct thread for this, otherwise please move the thread to wherever it belongs.

Doing screenshots for our german adventure website ,i normally use the screenshot capture program CB Catcher. Normally i don´t have any problems with CB Catcher when it comes to adventure games of the 2000 "era", for classicreviews on games that run in dosbox i obviously use the Dosbox screenshotfunction.
There is a group of games i have a screenshot capturing problem with though.

For older Windows only games like Black Dahlia or Dark Seed II i only receive black and white screenshots. Now, since i wanted to do reviews on a couple of these games i have kind of a little problem. Does anybody know any screenshot capturing tool, that is able to deliver decent screenshots of these older windows only programs?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #2

If playing in a window, you can just use the Windows "Print Screen" function. If the games are Win3x games, you can install Window 3.x in DOSBox and use the DOSBox capture. It is also a way to get around compatibility/speed issues with playing these games on modern Windows.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Schattenjäger

Thank you!
Since i never used the windows print screen function, i thought it would only save one image and immediately delete it the next time you capture a screen. I already found another way that worked though: Irfan Imageviewer does the job just fine.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy2042 View Post
Since i never used the windows print screen function, i thought it would only save one image and immediately delete it the next time you capture a screen.
It doesn't?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Schattenjäger

I don´t know,i already found another solution (Irfan Viewer) before i read collector´s posting, so i didn´t have to try it.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #6

I'm pretty certain that the Windows Print Screen will save one image to the clipboard, and if you press Print Screen again it will overwrite the first image.

I think it's a great feature for games to have a Screenshot button you can use in-game. Gabriel Knight 3 made use of this with the F11 button. That way you could save as many screenshots as you wanted without exiting the game or using another program while running the game.