You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Jesse Bains

Send a message via AIM to katuuuz
Default Ms Dos 6.22

before speculation, this specific post has nothing to do with gaming, but it will enable me to start gaming.

Hi i'm currently having problems installing MS-DOS 6.22 to follow up with a Windows 3.11 installation. Not sure if anyone can help, I boot the machine using a DOS 6.22 boot disk and then i insert the ms-dos 6.22 disk one diskette into a: drive and type "setup" as a command. it brings up the installer screen and upon choosing to format the c: drive within the setup, dos prompts me to insert setup disk 1 (which is in the drive right now). i don't know what is going on, or how to get by this. 7
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Game Creator Hobbyist

I don't have a solution, but I suspect that - if it's a modern computer you're trying to install DOS on - you'll have better luck with Dosbox than the real thing. Even if you do get it to install correctly, I suspect more trouble later on. You can't really expect a 14 year old OS to work on today's hardware.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Jesse Bains

Send a message via AIM to katuuuz

true. well thanks for the insight i didn't look at that angle. even still, i successfully installed windows 3.11 (the OS i used to play these sierra games on) and as long as i had the ms-dos 6.22 boot disk in the floppy drive when i booted, was able to run windows 3.11, and return to dos. i was able to actually install the games disk by disk and play them fine... i was merely trying to install dos 6.22 just so i didn't have to keep the boot disk in the floppy.

mind you this computer has no need other than to play old dos games... win 3.11 is hilarious!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #4

You might just want to use DOSBox on your modern PC. I can get far more games to run in DOSBox than I ever could on any real single PC. You can also install Win3x in it.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
You can also install Win3x in it.
Indeed! See the following link for a very detailed installation guide:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405