You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default HFVExplorer Inconsistancies

Hi I recently bought Mac versions of Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle, and I am attempting to run them on my PC (windows XP) with ScummVm.

To copy the data files to my Program Files, I downloaded the zip version of HFVExplorer. Initially it would not recognize any files on the CD, but then I moved the file cdenable.vxd into \windows\system directory, as it says for Windows 95 in the readme and it seemed to work like a charm. It recognized the files on Sam and Max, I copied them and launched the game with ScummVm. It seems to be running great.

But today I launched up HFVExplorer and it again wouldn't recognize any files on the DOTT CD. Out of curiosity, when I tried the Sam and Max CD, it couldn't read anything either (though the files are already copied and it seems to play fine).

So what gives? cdenable.vxd is still in the right directory, so why won't the HFVExplorer work again? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

William
Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #2

Wrong file. To access Mac CDs on Windows XP or Vista, use cdenable.sys, copied to your "Windows\System32\drivers" directory. The VXD is a virtual driver only for the old 9x line of Windows.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Adventurer

Hmm I'll give it a shot, but I'm puzzled. I initially moved the .sys file and nothing happened, so I moved it back, and tried the .vxd instead. That's when it recognized the Sam and Max files. If that was the wrong file, why did it (briefly) work?

I'll let you know if the .sys file does the trick.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Adventurer

Alright, thanks for the help... whatever was going on seems to be resolved now. (maybe until I attempt to use HFVExplorer again)

Moving the .sys file seemed to work this second time (but not the first??) but right now I'm just happy enough that it's working -- I won't ask too many questions.

Thanks Again!