You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Gabriel Knight 3 freezing (sidney, day 2 5pm->)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 AM   #1

Default Gabriel Knight 3 freezing (sidney, day 2 5pm->)

Hi! I read the threads, tried tweaking the graphic settings ad nauseaum, but nothing works, so I thought to give it a shot and ask for help.

So, I finally got my gk3 back from my friend and thought I'd give it a go. The game installed fine on my XP and after some tweaking & updating the drivers on my radeon 9550 got it running nicely on hardware 1024x768 resolution. Until day 2, timeblock 5:00 pm -> playing as Grace.

The game freezes up when I try to do
Spoiler:
the graphic/geometrical analyzation on Sidney of the parchments found in Lady Howard's room

and no matter what I do (software mode, resolution down to 640x480) it still freezes up. I've copied the .brn files from the disc 2 on my installed game /data directory to no avail. And because I friggin' love this game I'd love to play it to the end so puh-leeeeze, anyone with any other ideas than the aforementioned, help me!

A million thanks in advance

edit: the freezing happens like so:
Spoiler:
the analyzation starts, *bo-beep bo-biip bo-buup* but graphics don't appear. IIRC, there should be red geometrical shapes shuffling on the parchments, right? After a while the sounds stop and the game just stops there showing the red wait icon, which can be moved around but that's it.

Last edited by Gunther_; 01-31-2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: post scriptum
Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #2

Anyone? (Sorry about bumping this message, but it's frustrating..)
Old 04-15-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
Doctor Watson

The only advice I can give is: try a different OS. GK3 was stable enough so that Sierra didn't release a patch.

Another problem might be the CD, is it scratched? Although since you were able to copy everything from the CD to the hard drive that doesn't seem likely, and it shouldn't even be a problem...

You have probably also tried restarting from a previous save game.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I assume you've tried the various compatability modes in windows? I.e. running the game in Windows 95 compatability mode ticked in the properties of the shortcut? It's all I can think of apart from getting someone to give you a save game just after the problem.

I've read on other forums a while back that people have had other problems with SIDNEY with Grace but they were solved after updating graphics drivers, which you've already done.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Doctor Watson

Or it could be that getting an older version of a graphics driver might be in order here, as the game is older.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:21 AM   #6

Well, thanks for the help, although I'm still stuck with the bug. I did try the compatibility modes earlier, just forgot to mention them, and older display drivers are useless too. Maybe I'll install some older OS if I really get inspired (then I'd get to play pro pinballs Timeshock and Big Race USA too ).

Of course, if anyone should happen to have a save game just after performing the analyzations, I'd gladly try that one out. Though I'm guessing that the game would freeze in the next graphical sidney scene anyway. But if someone has a savegame, I'd be very grateful. Feel free to send it to: [email protected] and many thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #7

Hmmm, I've never had trouble with GK3 on my setup but I have this time. (I figured it was a Vista problem since this is the only thing different about my setup from the last time I played GK3, but it sounds like you had the same problem on XP.) Coincidently I've also got the same video card as you. Crazy. Same stuff happens. I've also re-installed drivers with no luck. Luckily I've got a make shift solution where I just copy the save games to my sister's computer, do the Sidney puzzles there, then transfer the save games back for the rest. It's a little annoying, but worth it for my favourite game. Any solutions found for this problem yet? Thanks.

Last edited by D.C.; 06-10-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #8

Hi there, sorry to bump this old thread but i got the exact same problem when i replayed GK3 recently and i managed to fix it. The issue here is a codec conflict, in my case it was ffdshow but i'd recommend uninstalling any big codec packs you may have installed. Hope this helps

Last edited by Pogo; 11-09-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #9

Sorry for thread resurrection, but I wanted to thank Pogo and let you all know: removing the FFD Show codec pack worked! Wouldn't have figured that one out, so thanks!

Now to see if I can pick the game up where I left or should I restart. In any case, it's all good, the game works!