You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
Lover and Fighter

Default Can't Install Syberia 2

I played Syberia with little trouble (just a crash in Barrockstadt that someone kindly helped me with, and white rectangles on the train platform in Komkolzgrad that I worked around). Now I'm trying to install Syberia 2 and can't get past the 42% point. I get an error message about a file transfer error. Anyone heard of this?

I have:

Windows XP
NVidia GeForce2 MX/MX400
256 MB of RAM
2.2 GHz processor
Intel Pentium 4

My hard drive has more than enough space to accomodate the game, so I know it has nothing to do with that. Can anyone help?

Last edited by Katran; 06-02-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
In an evening of July...

Try copying the CD content to your HD, to make sure there is nothing wrong with the CD itself.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:01 AM   #3
Bad command or file name

It seams to be having a read error. Carefully wipe down the CD with a lint-free cloth to clear away any fingerprints or dirt. Use a little bit of water if needed. If it still doesn't work then you can try buying a lens cleaner for your optical drive, usually are only a few dollars.

Also, you can try it on a different computer to see if the problem follows the disc or not. If the problem occurs on the different computer then you need to buy another copy of the game or try exchanging it for a different one at the place of purchase. If it does works on the other computer then your optical drive is likely starting to flake out on you. You can pick up brand new DVD burners online for about $40 or DVD readers online for around $20. I wouldn't bother buying a CD drive though as DVD media is quickly becoming the new standard for games. Good luck!

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Lover and Fighter

Okay, I cleaned the disc because it did look a little dirty, and the error happened even earlier this time, at 24%. Here is the error message I keep getting:

Component: Level )-Minimum
File Group: Minimum Install (I'm doing a Full Install, if that matters)
File: Fdata2.cab
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I'm pretty sure it's not my CD drive, as I'm having zero problems with anything else. If it is, I'm stuck buying another CD drive anyway, as I have 80 plus CD-Rom games and have no desire to swap them all out for DVD-Rom games, especially when I know some of them are old enough that they won't ever be on DVD.

I'm going to try doing the data copy thing. Do I need to copy the data from both discs, or just the one that's giving me trouble?

ETA: Okay, I tried the data copy, and it says it can't copy something. Here's the error message:

Cannot copy CIN10000_Romansbourg: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Last edited by Katran; 06-02-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
In an evening of July...

It does mean that the disc (or the drive) are at fault. You could try making an image of the disc with heavy error correction and at 1x. If you have CloneCD, try making an image with that (1x speed, error correction). You could try Nero, but I doubt its as good as CloneCD. If you are able to make a dump, mount it with DaemonTools and try again.

Or try another drive. Or buy another copy. Why would you have to swap all games for DVD-Rom versions? DVD-drives can read both CDs and DVDs, if thats what you meant.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #6

Just as a side note. A DVD rom plays all your cd rom games also.

Cathy
Old 06-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
Lover and Fighter

Mine doesn't seem to. I've put CD's in it by mistake and it just kicks them back out.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #8

Is your copy the $10 budget rerelease? If so, I don't think it's a scratch or something on the disc. I tried installing my copy a couple days ago, and had the exact same problem. I'm guessing there was a defect in the release.

An easy way around the problem is to do the partial installation rather than the full. This worked for me. I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know if the file the game was unable to install would also cause a problem when playing the game with a partial installation.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
now more then ever

Send a message via Yahoo to bored

The best solution is to download the game from the internet.And the best part about this is that it's FREE
Old 06-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #10
Lover and Fighter

I didn't know you could download Syberia 2 from the internet. Where do I find that?

Scoville, I have no idea what version this one is. I bought it used off Ebay. I've bought dozens of games off Ebay and this is the first time I've ever had a problem.

UPDATE: Okay, I did the minimal install, and it worked. The only problem I've had so far is that the very first cinematic was very jerky in places and would freeze up for several seconds at a time. I'd say it took probably 5 minutes for a 30-second clip to play. But it finally worked through and now I'm playing the game. So far so good, though I'm not very far into it.

I did notice that the error message I kept getting while trying to install had the word 'Romansburg' in it, and that is the first place I come to in the game, so I'm hoping that first cinematic is the extent of the problem. I guess I'll find out.

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Katran; 06-03-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:42 AM   #11

You can try downloading a torrent file, search in **LINK REMOVED**, if you have a program for downloading torrents, Azureus or other.
I wouldn't be surprised if the release had a defect, I've tried playing Syberia 2 several times on ps2 but it always crashes in the same scene, I've actually tried many different disks and different machines, always the same problem. Guess there has been a lot of hassle in the Syberia 2 releases, too bad, theyre great games.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 06-03-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:10 AM   #12
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored
The best solution is to download the game from the internet.And the best part about this is that it's FREE
Also ILLEGAL.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:50 AM   #13

Illegal yes, but when the commercial versions won't work and may be hard to find especially in smaller countries, there are very limited options. Sad but true, not a fan of downloading games myself either.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:12 AM   #14
Super Moderator

However, we don't support the illegal option on these forums.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Lover and Fighter

Guys, it's all good. I've gotten the game to work so far, and I couldn't find it to download anyway (and I wouldn't have tried if I'd known it was illegal; I thought bored was referring to a legitimate download provided by the game manufacturer or something, as a few companies do). And I don't know enough about Azureus or torrent or anything else like that to even bother trying.

But, as I said, the game is working for now.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #16
Mad Rabbit

The file that's generating the CRC error is a cutscene. It the one that should play at the start of the game, as your train arrives at Romansbourg.

Assuming that's the only corrupt file, it shouldn't affect gameplay, but you'll miss 2 minutes of video.

Last edited by Grey; 06-03-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 AM   #17
Lover and Fighter

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I was able to get the cutscene to play, though it jerked and lurched along and froze up several times. But everything since then has been fine. I'm saving a LOT though, just in case!