You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems So my dad got me Virtual PC for mac...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane
Default So my dad got me Virtual PC for mac...

...specificly for my adventure game craze that I've been trying to fullfill. According to him, Virtual PC won't run graphically intense games, but since my games come from an older generation, they should be fine. He even set me up with Windows 98 after hearing it was more stable. After searching for a while, I found an old, old copy of Myst. Unfornately it didn't seem to want to run. I'm conviced it was because it was a broken disc. Now, I read a little on games that can be run and I briefly heard Grim Fandago runs fine on VPC. However, Myst was my only PC adventure game I had with me, so this is where you guys come in. Should I order a PC adventure game and hope it works? If so, which one? Grim looks to be a nice choice, but then again, I'm not looking for graphically intense games. If anyone owns VPC, it would excellent if they could be more specific.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

You're running VPC on a Mac?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Fire Dragon/Pisces

hmm... you did not tell exactly what type of Mac you have... anyway,

my brother kicks his Mac G3 server in from time to time; and I see that a 350-400 Mhz machine can run OS X at a decent speed but the Classic Emulation (or whatever it is called) is very slow.
I heard that if you run OS X and want to run emulators then you need a modern CPU in the gigahertz range. (I guess yours is a shiny new one

Or you can install both opsystems (I mean a classic like 9.3 AND OS X) in a multiboot config (just like my bro did) and you can buy and play ALL Mac games safely.

Playing WINDOWS games on a MAC is a different matter though.
Emulation always costs a lot of horsepower on ANY machine,
so the perfect solution is to also have a PC, even if it is an older one.
If you already have a new Mac, a PC will not be a big investment.
Please don't take offense, but the majority of Mac fans regard WINDOWS emulation on a Mac as perversity
Windows games have their own problems, why complicate the issue with
emulation ???
Old 12-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

I own the latest and fastest G5 thankfully, and I seemed to got 3D Movie Maker to work just fine.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
After searching for a while, I found an old, old copy of Myst. Unfornately it didn't seem to want to run. I'm conviced it was because it was a broken disc.
It very well may have been. CDs can deteriorate over time, though some last the years quite well. I gave my old copy of Myst to a friend with a 1Ghz Powerbook, and she ran it just fine under VirtualPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
Now, I read a little on games that can be run and I briefly heard Grim Fandago runs fine on VPC.
I can confirm that. I let her borrow GF (whereas I was happy to let her keep Myst ), and it ran very smoothly. If you have a top of the line machine, you shouldn't have much problem running most older games, except the same issues one would under Windows on a real PC.

Cheers,
doroposo