You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
Am I... Green?..

Default GK3- Weird things...

Hi All!

It's a nice place you've got here, i think, I'll stay for a bit...

Anyway, I have the strangest glitch (?) with my new copy of GK3.
I've played the game before, about 5 years ago, but I clearly remember the game had subtitles.
Now, after installing the game again (a different copy), I can't seem to find how to turn the subtitles on.
The French accent might be a bit of a problem for someone who doesn't speak the language, so I'd much appreciate if someone told me how to turn the subs on.
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum.

I could be wrong, but I don't think GK3 has subtitles. I know GK2 doesn't.

Don't have it installed right now, though, so I can't tell you for sure. Hopefully someone else will have an answer.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #3

I'm certain that GK3 had subtitles, as I clearly remember that turning them on happened to slightly reduce the size of the videos, making them a tad less pixellated and ugly.

Anyway, I've just checked the manual at Replacementdocs, and it says that you're supposed to go into Options > Game Options and check Captions. Doesn't that work for you (or were you too tired to look into the manual yourself? )?
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Am I... Green?..

Thanks for the welcome

Kurufinwe
Actually, I guess, I've missed that part...
that's a big DUH!

Thanks for your help
Old 11-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
Adventure ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I could be wrong, but I don't think GK3 has subtitles. I know GK2 doesn't.
There is a brazilian version of GK2 (which was used to make the fan translation of the game into Spanish) which did have subtitles in all scenes (including the videos) in Portuguese.

The English version has, however, the subtitle files (.msg), but they seem to be disabled some way, just like Phantasmagoria II. Maybe there is a way to activate them...

Old 11-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Am I... Green?..

I remember playing GK2 with subtitles... There was something to do, but I don't quite remember what... Was a long time ago
I'll install it again soon and tell you just what was it
Old 11-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmer
The English version has, however, the subtitle files (.msg), but they seem to be disabled some way, just like Phantasmagoria II. Maybe there is a way to activate them...
I believe there is a way to activate them, but it turns off the voice. Someone posted about it once, but I was never able to get it to work myself.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Adventure ergo sum

Yes, you can activate them by just replacing the ResAudio (or something like that) line in the config file. But this does, indeed, disable the voices.

The captions I'm talking about, yet, allow the player to play with voices AND subtitles.

In any case, I think you can activate the English subtitles using my translation patch into spanish and then replacing the .msg files.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I believe there is a way to activate them, but it turns off the voice. Someone posted about it once, but I was never able to get it to work myself.
Now, who could that someone have been?
Yes, I know, that's not exactly it, but, what the hell. Google is a marvellous thing.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Now, who could that someone have been?
Yes, I know, that's not exactly it, but, what the hell. Google is a marvellous thing.

Someone else posted about it before that.

(And although I said I could walk the poster through it, I'm pretty sure I never did figure it out.)
Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
(And although I said I could walk the poster through it, I'm pretty sure I never did figure it out.)
Shouldn't that be the motto of the Tech Help forum?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Okay, I think I did figure out how to do this before, and pushed it from my mind because I was so underwhelmed by the result.

To force captions on in the Windows version of GK2, open resource.win in the GK2 directory (using notepad). Look for this entry:

resAud=CD:\

Delete CD:\ so it just says

resAud=

This tells the computer not to look at the CD for speech files, and you end up with captions instead. Ambient noises are not affected; I'm not sure about ambient music. (I'm also not sure what the file name is if you're playing the DOS version - probably not resource.win, but maybe sierra.ini.)

The downside is that the movies (which include all dialogues) still have voices but no captions, and the bits that are captioned (either Gabe's or Grace's thoughts, depending on who you're playing) are not voiced. Really not a very useful feature. (Which is probably why the only way to get it working is by hacking around. )
Old 11-30-2005, 10:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
(I'm also not sure what the file name is if you're playing the DOS version - probably not resource.win, but maybe sierra.ini.)
resource.cfg
(and I can't believe Sierra bothered making captions, only to make it impossible to use them in a normal situation --- well, actually, no, I can perfectly believe it, it's so typical of them )
Old 11-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
resource.cfg
(and I can't believe Sierra bothered making captions, only to make it impossible to use them in a normal situation --- well, actually, no, I can perfectly believe it, it's so typical of them )
I doubt they ever intended for the captions to be used. It's probably a relic of the engine - all Sierra CD games (from that point and earlier, anyway) would default to captions if you tried to play without the CD in the drive. In GK2's case, they were probably used by the development team before voice recording was done and as the script was being developed. Knowing that people wouldn't be able to play GK2 without CDs in the drive* because the CD also contains the movies, they probably figured no one would ever see those captions. It's sloppy, I guess, but no sloppier than debug systems remaining in games after they ship, and that happens all the time.

*unlike other Sierra talkies, which can be played that way
Old 12-01-2005, 12:15 AM   #15
Adventure ergo sum

I've just tried to activate the subtitles in English using my subtitle patch, but it didn't work; it seems that some .msg are missing in the original resources; but maybe someone is interested in re-making them using those from the patch.

Check out these screenshots:

This is the subtitle system fov points to, which deactivates the voices:

This is the subtitle system I'm talking about; in the original system a brown box would show up in the middle of the screen just like above:

And this is the subtitles during a video:

Old 12-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Sure would have been nice to have those subtitles in English.