You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Space Rangers 2 = Brilliant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #1

Default Space Rangers 2 = Brilliant

This type of game is new to me. I have never played one of these space thingy-merchant resource gathering-galaxy saving-alien killing-exploring planets kind of game. It is a good change of pace
- someone called Gooch at the Octopus Overlords forum.

I think it's fair to say that very few people will have played anything like Space Rangers 2. It's sort of like Escape Velocity: Nova mixed with Star Control 2, but that's not really a good description (especially as very few people seems to have played any of those games either).

Basically, it's a mainly 2D turn-based tactical action rpg with elements of real time strategy, 3D shooters, text adventure (IF) and trading, set in space. And it's really, really cool. Have a look at the official website , forum and this cool thread in the Octopus Overlords forum, where one by one the forumites decides to try the game, and one by one they get hooked (just like I am... I'm totally in love with this game, in fact).
Old 08-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Oh, man. I loved Escape Velocity! I better try this out.

I need a quick gaming fix, now that I've reached the last level the demo of Fate allows me to enter..

EDIT: I was hoping for some sort of demo, or something. Oh, well.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #3

Unfortunately, the movie at the bottom of this page is the closest you'll get to a demo right now. It's "a 7 minute 45 seconds introduction into the world of Space Rangers".

But if you liked EV: Nova, Space Rangers 2 is a pretty safe bet.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
gin soaked boy

Sounds great! Thanks for the tip, this goes straight to my wish list.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:53 PM   #5

Desperately trying to breathe some life into this thread (it's so sad that almost noone's interested in this game - it's one of the most enjoyable and unique games I've ever played) by posting a link to this well-written review by Bill Harris: http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...rangers-2.html

It gives a fairly good impression of the game and the many things that makes it fun. Here's a bit from the introduction:

It’s a turn-based strategy game.

It’s a real-time strategy game.

It’s a role-playing game.

It’s a text-based adventure game.

It’s based in space.

It’s one of the best (and most fun) games I’ve played in the last twenty years.

The developers haven’t updated the front page of their website in over a year. The publishers have it listed seventh in a list of their games. Almost no one is even aware that the game is out, and where it’s officially been released, it’s almost impossible to find.

It is, quite simply, the most unlikely great game ever created. And make no mistake, it is great. It will go down as a legendary space exploration game, a crazy hybrid of Escape Velocity Nova, Star Control, Starflight, and Elite.

It is also going to be the PC Game of the Year. I know, there are a slew of AAA titles that haven’t been released yet, and it doesn’t matter. Nobody else is going to touch it. This is the best designed, best balanced, most imaginative, most fun game of the year.

Last edited by Kolorabi; 08-30-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Despite a 71% review of the game in PCZone I can't bring myself to buy a game like this with no demo available. Hence my lack of interest.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I have some interest in this game, I have to check out some reviews for it and then make my choices whether to buy it or forget it.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:07 AM   #8

Sadly there aren't many reviews, and most of the ones available seem to be harder on the game than it deserves. I understand why, too. It certainly doesn't seem like the classic it really is when you first load it up. And with no hype whatsoever, nobody expects it to be any good either (hence the 7/10 reviews - it's not that 7/10 is a bad score, but this game deserves more).

I think that Octopus Overlords thread I linked to in the first post give a fair impression of what people (people who've bought the game, not reviewers) think of it.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:54 AM   #9
gin soaked boy

Here's Eurogamer drooling over Space Rangers. I haven't played it yet and I'm completely broke, damn.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:33 AM   #10
The Reggienator

Space Rangers is very cheap in play.com although it's a brand new game.

I'd buy it immediately, but I have great fears that I would never play the game, just as I haven't played hundreds of games that I have already bought...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:48 AM   #11
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I'd buy it immediately, but I have great fears that I would never play the game, just as I haven't played hundreds of games that I have already bought...
I have just the same problem... I still haven't even finished the first level of Ghost Recon, and I bought it pretty soon after it got released...
Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 AM   #12
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

If anyone's curious, the magazine Computer Games has a review that gave the game 4 1/2 stars (out of 5) and an "Editor's Choice" tag.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 10-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #13
The Reggienator

Space Rangers is one of those games I both love and hate. It will take my life away. This is so huge and time consuming game that I'd have no time to do anything else for a looooooooooooong time.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #14

It's nice to see this game getting some of the attention it deserves. I noticed that after the Eurogamer-review, it climbed to 13th position in Play.com's PC top-40 list (sales chart). It wasn't even in it before the review...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:20 AM   #15

Another review:

Not only is this my current pick for PC Game of the Year, and for Game of the Year all around, but this game just shot its way into my Top 20 Greatest of All Time.

Read the rest here: http://www.netjak.com/review.php/1021

(people from North America should note that Excalibur only holds the publishing rights for the UK and Scandinavia, which is why the only place to get it in the US is Gogamer)

Last edited by Kolorabi; 10-19-2005 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:45 AM   #16
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
"Finally, a Playstation You Can Jerk Off To"?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:30 AM   #17

Lol, sorry. I've no idea how that happened, honestly!

(okay, I do know - I was browsing newsnow, which is an excellent source of, well, news (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Computer+Gaming , for instance), and as that headline seemed "interesting", I copied the link into another browser (which has an adblock system, just in case)... how it ended up here I've no idea. but I hope the article was interesting at least )

Anyway, link corrected.